Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I see myself more as the Nick Sandmann type who wears a tolerant smile while virulent anti-Trumpers like you beat a drum in my face.
    The honest thing to do is to admit Trump is no different than the Clinton, Bush Jr., and Obama fandoms that preceded him. I used to defend Obama until I realized he’s just another cult of personality.

With Trump, his demagoguery is more in the open. His pandering is far more pronounced and less hidden, probably because Trump already has said he can shoot someone without his base caring. You have been duped into believing he is refreshing and progressive.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    I used to defend Obama until I realized he’s just another cult of personality.
    I have a theory that the anti-Trump contingent responds the way it does because they mistakenly think we worship Trump the way they worshipped Obama.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have a theory that the anti-Trump contingent responds the way it does because they mistakenly think we worship Trump the way they worshipped Obama.
    There is zero evidence otherwise. Obama had bootlickers and divine references, he but never surrounded himself with televangelists laying hands on him and supporters making signs referencing divine appointment. Trump is guilty of both.

Moreover, you seem to think Trump is a refreshing maverick and progressive when he’s actually just being an open Mussolini-like demagogue, with that stupid name calling and retarded smirk. You worship both him and that approach.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is zero evidence otherwise. Obama had bootlickers and divine references, he but never surrounded himself with televangelists laying hands on him and supporters making signs referencing divine appointment. Trump is guilty of both.
    You had to have been asleep from 2008 to 2016 if you don't remember the fawning, religious-like reverence with which Obama was treated by liberals.

Moreover, you seem to think Trump is a refreshing maverick and progressive when he’s actually just being an open Mussolini-like demagogue, with that stupid name calling and retarded smirk. You worship both him and that approach.
    I worship the Almighty God and none other.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You had to have been asleep from 2008 to 2016 if you don't remember the fawning, religious-like reverence with which Obama was treated by liberals.
    You have to be blind and pig ignorant to not see televangelists literally laid hands on Trump and serve as his spiritual advisors.

I worship the Almighty God and none other.
    Precisely the mantra of those televangelists.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You have to be blind and pig ignorant to not see televangelists literally laid hands on Trump and serve as his spiritual advisors.
    That's not worship. Ironic that you're calling MM ignorant while exposing your own ignorance.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Since I was never a fan of Obama (or Hillary), you would be wrong
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    After reflecting on politics, and participating in a lot of political discussions I think I now see partisanship as inherently human. We tend to root for our team, find the mistakes done 'on our side' forgivable, and blow out of proportion problems on the other side. As long as this doesn't interfere with a factful discussion, I think its perfectly fine now, and there's no reason to be at war with it.

I for one have decided to bow out of pointing out partisanship on the other side. I won't stop talking about facts, but beyond that, I expect Republicans to be Republicans now.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    That's not worship. Ironic that you're calling MM ignorant while exposing your own ignorance.
    If anything short of literally praying to someone or something isn’t worship, then you can’t say anything is worship. That invalidates the OP but also MM’s counterargument. The truth is that blind loyalty to any POTUS is somewhere in between. Since I regard all the presidents since Reagan cults of personality, then I’m not among this group.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    After reflecting on politics, and participating in a lot of political discussions I think I now see partisanship as inherently human. We tend to root for our team, find the mistakes done 'on our side' forgivable, and blow out of proportion problems on the other side. As long as this doesn't interfere with a factful discussion, I think its perfectly fine now, and there's no reason to be at war with it.

I for one have decided to bow out of pointing out partisanship on the other side. I won't stop talking about facts, but beyond that, I expect Republicans to be Republicans now.
    Europeans are much more sensible and self aware than citizens of the U.S.