Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    All that phrase means is his administration recognizes and will work to combat global warming. To put that up as a claim to messiahship is so overtly ridiculous as to say more about those thinking it's a claim to deity than obama

That said, it is ridiculously optimistic given the political realities of our country.
    Nope. We've been through this. Obama is not predicting the future but rather what he thought was taking place then as a result of his nomination. Read what he said not what you want him to mean.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Are you going to claim any Christian tradition that understands this verse to imply the sacrement of Baptism is required is not Christian?
      No.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Actually, a great deal of it was downright blasphemous.
        Big time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Nope. We've been through this. Obama is not predicting the future but rather what he thought was taking place then as a result of his nomination. Read what he said not what you want him to mean.

That is absurd. It's referring to the effect of Global warming and his belief he would be able to address the effect of rising sea levels and that future generations would mark his administration as the first real effort to push back on AGW.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yep, we've been through this before. And therevis nothing in this text to justify your insinuation he's claiming some level of deity. I've got it exactly right in terms of what the reference means.
            Source: obama

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-10-2019, 02:53 PM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That’s a reach. You’re reading way too much into that one.

Funny you ignore Trump’s penchant to call himself the greatest at everything, see the hyperbole in Trump as saying “no one knows more about [blank] than me” but extrapolate that Obama regularly deified himself in his speeches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I think more people think Trump is the devil rather than a god.
                He certainly acts more like the Devil than he does God. But equivalence is not an appropriate relation in either case.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                  That’s a reach. You’re reading way too much into that one.

Funny you ignore Trump’s penchant to call himself the greatest at everything, see the hyperbole in Trump as saying “no one knows more about [blank] than me” but extrapolate that Obama regularly deified himself in his speeches.
                  In Trump's case, we easily laugh off most of it. Maybe we were inoculated against it by the bombastic tongue-in-cheek grandiosity of El Rushbo.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    Maybe we were inoculated against it by the bombastic tongue-in-cheek grandiosity of El Rushbo.
                    Almost always right, 99.8% of the time. Half his brain tied behind his back, just to make it fair.

Thing with Obama, I never got the impression his self-praise deliberately exaggerated for the sake of humor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Obviously not. Otherwise Jesus lied to the thief on the cross.

According to Romans 10:9, "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." That's the only requirement for salvation.
                      Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Ironic that, as a skeptic, you're quick to point out that those verses were added as later interpolations to discredit Mark's report of the resurrection, until it serves your purpose in an argument, then it suddenly becomes genuine scripture.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          Funny how you didn't quote the whole verse and deceptively added a period where there should be a comma:

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Notice it doesn't say that the one who is not baptized will be condemned, only the one who does not believe.

Comment

Funny how you didn't quote the whole verse and deceptively added a period where there should be a comma:

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Notice it doesn't say that the one who is not baptized will be condemned, only the one who does not
                            Baptism nowhere is claimed to save apart from faith. So not believing is sufficient to condemn. Only when combined with faith does it have any power. The debate is does faith have to be combined with baptism for it to save. And there is the corrollary that helps clarify the issue, is faith that refuses baptism actually saving faith?
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-10-2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Ironic that, as a skeptic, you're quick to point out that those verses were added as later interpolations to discredit Mark's report of the resurrection, until it serves your purpose in an argument, then it suddenly becomes genuine scripture.
                              I have no idea what you're talking about, I never knew nor did I ever point out any such thing. But if it's an interpolation, why does it remain in the bible?

Comment

Notice it doesn't say that the one who is not baptized will be condemned, only the one who does not believe.
                                That latter point doesn't negate the former. If you don't believe, you wouldn't be saved, so it wouldn't matter if you're baptised or not, ergo there'd be no reason to add that to the latter verse.

Comment