Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, if baptism is necessary for salvation, then Jesus lied to the thief on the cross.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• So we're really gonna turn this into a thread on baptism.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Again, if baptism is necessary for salvation, then Jesus lied to the thief on the cross.
        That is the protestant argument of those that see it your way.

I look at it only slightly differently. Baptism is a requirement only in that refusal to be baptized is not an option.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          That is the protestant argument of those that see it your way.

I look at it only slightly differently. Baptism is a requirement only in that refusal to be baptized is not an option.
          So in a more general sense, if you're saved, then you should naturally want to submit to God and obey Him.

There's a lot more that can be said, about whether any act beyond belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus is a requirement, but for the purposes of this thread, I think I can say that I we more or less agree and leave it at that.

Comment

• I think everyone is forgetting the most important fact: Obama is cool

He seems like a cool dude. I don’t know much about him at all besides that since he hardly ever made the news down here.

BUT even if people don’t actually worship Trump, I find it extremely troubling that many people unquestionably take his word as the truth.

By that I mean Trump calls the Muellar report a hoax and ‘no collusion, no obstruction ‘ and that’s what people believe despite what the report actually says. This then becomes the foundation to believing Ukraine was actually behind the election meddling in 2016.

Trump calls it a witch hunt and again it’s believed despite the recent report finding legitimate cause for investigations. Horowitz and Wray are suddenly never trumpers.

Trump says ‘no evidence’ in this Ukraine claim and the same people chant ‘no evidence!’ despite the overwhelming amount of evidence.

Whether it’s ‘hearsay’ ‘perfect call’ ‘no quid pro quo’ ‘Biden is dirty’ ‘Ukraine not Russia’ every single line, it seems, that Trump utters is taken as fact.

On top of that any negative stories about Trump is dismissed as fake news, anyone negative about anything Trump is a never trumper, any agency not 100% in agreement with Trump is corrupt or deep state. It only leaves Trump and pro Trump news as their only source for information.

It’s dangerous regardless of which side ‘wins’ at the end. At the end of the day Trump will never be as cool as Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              I think everyone is forgetting the most important fact: Obama is cool

He seems like a cool dude. I don’t know much about him at all besides that since he hardly ever made the news down here.

BUT even if people don’t actually worship Trump, I find it extremely troubling that many people unquestionably take his word as the truth.

By that I mean Trump calls the Muellar report a hoax and ‘no collusion, no obstruction ‘ and that’s what people believe despite what the report actually says. This then becomes the foundation to believing Ukraine was actually behind the election meddling in 2016.

Trump calls it a witch hunt and again it’s believed despite the recent report finding legitimate cause for investigations. Horowitz and Wray are suddenly never trumpers.

Trump says ‘no evidence’ in this Ukraine claim and the same people chant ‘no evidence!’ despite the overwhelming amount of evidence.

Whether it’s ‘hearsay’ ‘perfect call’ ‘no quid pro quo’ ‘Biden is dirty’ ‘Ukraine not Russia’ every single line, it seems, that Trump utters is taken as fact.

On top of that any negative stories about Trump is dismissed as fake news, anyone negative about anything Trump is a never trumper, any agency not 100% in agreement with Trump is corrupt or deep state. It only leaves Trump and pro Trump news as their only source for information.

It’s dangerous regardless of which side ‘wins’ at the end. At the end of the day Trump will never be as cool as Obama.
              Obama was definitely more "Presidential" that Trump - He presented himself well, was very likeable and spoke well. Trump is rude, brash and couldn't make a decent speech if his life depended on it. Just watching his rally in Pennsylvania last night on TV, his "speech" was nothing more than cheerleading the crowd with sound bites and waiting for them to cheer him on. He would make a good coach, but a lousy public speaker.

Last edited by Sparko; 12-11-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                It's cute how he does that jutting jaw thing like Mussolini...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Obama was definitely more "Presidential" that Trump - He presented himself well, was very likeable and spoke well.
                  He spoke well as long as he had a teleprompter in front of him. Otherwise he was a stuttering mess.

As for appearing "presidential", I'm not entirely sure what that term means. If you mean aloof and arrogant, then Obama certainly qualified. Trump seems like more a man of the people. We're talking about a guy who served fast food to football players at the White House, and gave a visiting little league team a lift back home on Air Force One!

Yes, Trump is certainly "rude and brash", but so were many of our presidents throughout history, the most famous probably being Andrew Jackson who had a pet parrot that picked up his linguistic habits and reeled off a string of profanities at Jackson's funeral prompting horrified guests to demand its removal from the premises.

Comment

He spoke well as long as he had a teleprompter in front of him. Otherwise he was a stuttering mess.

As for appearing "presidential", I'm not entirely sure what that term means. If you mean aloof and arrogant, then Obama certainly qualified. Trump seems like more a man of the people. We're talking about a guy who served fast food to football players at the White House, and gave a visiting little league team a lift back home on Air Force One!

Yes, Trump is certainly "rude and brash", but so were many of our presidents throughout history, the most famous probably being Andrew Jackson who had a pet parrot that picked up his linguistic habits and reeled off a string of profanities at Jackson's funeral prompting horrified guests to demand its removal from the premises.
                    If Trump is using a teleprompter, it’s hard to tell because he’s fragmented, repetitive, and cringeworthy. If he’s not using a teleprompter, then he should use one like many presidents before him who used teleprompters and speech writers. If one must go off script, they better be good at it. Trump is clearly horrible at it.

“Rude and brash” do not properly describe Trump. Any modern president with those characteristics (can you name one besides genocidal Jackson?) does not compare to the tweeter in chief who has debased presidential communication like no other before him.

I don’t think feeding a football team cold McDonalds is anything to brag about, and any better example of presidential nicety (giving lifts on AF1) I’m sure can be matched by Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                      If Trump is using a teleprompter, it’s hard to tell because he’s fragmented, repetitive, and cringeworthy. If he’s not using a teleprompter, then he should use one like many presidents before him who used teleprompters and speech writers. If one must go off script, they better be good at it. Trump is clearly horrible at it.

“Rude and brash” do not properly describe Trump. Any modern president with those characteristics (can you name one besides genocidal Jackson?) does not compare to the tweeter in chief who has debased presidential communication like no other before him.

I don’t think feeding a football team cold McDonalds is anything to brag about, and any better example of presidential nicety (giving lifts on AF1) I’m sure can be matched by Obama.
                      I could only listen to about 10 minutes of his "speech" yesterday. His voice grates on me. Must be the New York accent.

Comment

Again, if baptism is necessary for salvation, then Jesus lied to the thief on the cross.
                        And if not necessary then Mark 16:16 is false.

Comment

By all accounts, the Clemson team loved the fastfood feast.

When Obama hosted a championship team, he sent them home empty handed.

https://100percentfedup.com/2010-oba...t-he-fed-them/

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                            And if not necessary then Mark 16:16 is false.
                            Nope. It says that if you believe and are baptized then you will be saved, which is true. What it doesn't say is that baptism is necessary for salvation. Otherwise you would expect the warning in the second half of the verse to read "The one who does not believe, and the one who does believe but is not baptized will be condemned."

Comment

By all accounts, the Clemson team loved the fastfood feast.

When Obama hosted a championship team, he sent them home empty handed.

https://100percentfedup.com/2010-oba...t-he-fed-them/
                              Pretty much any “presidential” act can be countered with a shockingly unpresidential one. Since Obama’s no less the snake than his predecessors, I don’t really care, but he clearly eclipses Trump in likability, public presentation, and being able to speak like a president.

Here’s Obama helping a fainting woman and ad libbing a comforting joke:

There’s no comparison between Trump’s moronic carnival barker act and Obama’s public persona.

Comment

[Obama] clearly eclipses Trump in likability, public presentation, and being able to speak like a president.
                                That's a matter of opinion.

Comment