Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Joe Biden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Not to mention, if someone is coming at you with a knife, you don't have time to aim at moving legs, or arms. And wounding them might not even stop them. It only takes a second to cross a room with a knife and stab someone. Heck you might not have time to get off a shot at all if your gun isn't already drawn.

Very true --- and like my thread about Quannell X, he used to be VERY critical of the police "emptying their clip" (MAGAZINE!!!! ) at a subject, til he did that very same thing, and was stunned that he did it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Speaking of shooting the gun out of his hand, I saw a video where a sniper did exactly that to end a hostage standoff. The man was holding a woman and waving a gun in the air, and a sniper literally shot the gun out of his hand as the other officers rushed in to secure him. Of course that was an extraordinary situation.
      Absolutely --- or put a bullet through the head of a bad guy who is holding the hostage so close that their heads are touching. NOT for the feint of heart, and NOT for somebody who isn't incredibly skilled.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Absolutely --- or put a bullet through the head of a bad guy who is holding the hostage so close that their heads are touching. NOT for the feint of heart, and NOT for somebody who isn't incredibly skilled.
        I remember, though, an episode of "Police Story" where this officer wanted to be on SWAT, and aspired to be a sniper. The whole episode was about him making is way "to the top", and concluded with a hostage situation where he was given the green light to do just what I said above.... He zeroed in on the guy's head, squeezed the trigger, and the guy's head exploded, the hostage was snatched way as the bad guy's body fell to the ground, then the spotter patted the sniper on the back, telling him "great shot".

The sniper never moved, still in the prone position on top of the building, hands still in shooting position.... and the spotter had to pry the guys hands off the weapon, because he was in shock.

There is often untold damage to a human being who takes another person's life - even with righteous justification.

Comment

• I think Biden's comments were partially pandering.

I also think you guys are envisioning someone high on PCP charging at a cop with a machete whereas I think it is more likely the spirit of what Biden means is a situation in which the threat is less immediate than that (I assume that's what he meant by "unarmed" when clearly the attacker is armed in his scenario). E.g. an attacker standing still or walking slowly is *not* an immediate threat from a significant distance.

(Yes I know about the 21' rule. That assumes a cop has their gun holstered, is not prepared etc. Yes I know a gunshot to the leg can easily be fatal).

Consider the footwork employed by many to interpret Trump's comments about disinfectant vs. the strict literal interpretation I'm hearing of Biden's words.
          Last edited by DivineOb; 06-02-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            I think Biden's comments were partially pandering.

I also think you guys are envisioning someone high on PCP charging at a cop with a machete whereas I think it is more likely the spirit of what Biden means is a situation in which the threat is less immediate than that (I assume that's what he meant by "unarmed" when clearly the attacker is armed in his scenario). E.g. an attacker standing still or walking slowly is *not* an immediate threat from a significant distance.

(Yes I know about the 21' rule. That assumes a cop has their gun holstered, is not prepared etc. Yes I know a gunshot to the leg can easily be fatal).

Consider the footwork employed by many to interpret Trump's comments about disinfectant vs. the strict literal interpretation I'm hearing of Biden's words.
            OK, so help me --- how do we make sense of "an unarmed person coming at them with a knife"? Besides, ANY person coming at a police officer - even unarmed - has a possibility of subduing the officer, taking his weapon, and killing him. It's just nutty!

Comment

I know of only one major mail in ballot cheating scandal. It was a Republican scandal in North Carolina and was bad enough that they had to redo the election. Surely you can point me to a Democratic scandal of similar severity.
              The silence from conservatives here on that one is deafening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I plead the Leonhard Defense -- I don't know enough about this to comment.

Comment

Because it isn't true. That's not the only case. It also doesn't make sense. If DO thinks the Reps have a propensity to cheat, then why are the Dems pushing for it so hard? Kind of dumb, isn't it?

Comment

Gun shots to the leg or shooting the gun outta of someone's hands is largely the realm of TV and movies. They are trained to fire at the center of body mass (torso) for a good reason. It is not easy to hit a leg while it is moving, even from a relatively close distance. The fact that when an officer empties his weapon at a suspect that many of the shots miss even when they are aiming for the middle of the chest, demonstrates this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I know of only one major mail in ballot cheating scandal. It was a Republican scandal in North Carolina and was bad enough that they had to redo the election. Surely you can point me to a Democratic scandal of similar severity.
                      Largely because it involved Republicans so the MSM gave it extensive coverage. If it's involving Democrats the only coverage it receives is local.

Of course, one reason that voter fraud cases don't often get a lot of coverage is that typically they involve someone running for local office (city/county commissioner, mayor, sheriff...). In Georgia alone there have been eight cases resulting in convictions in the past decade.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        That, and there were the significant discrepancies discovered in every Michigan district that Hillary won in 2016. In fact, things were so messed up that they couldn't even do a recount.
                        There are precincts in cities like Detroit and Philadelphia where more votes get turned in than people who live there. IOW, there are not just more votes recorded than eligible voters but more votes than residents including children. And 100% of the votes go one way (I'll let you guess for which party), which is inconceivable that there is never a single person, not one contrarian, who votes for the other party.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Largely because it involved Republicans so the MSM gave it extensive coverage. If it's involving Democrats the only coverage it receives is local.

Of course, one reason that voter fraud cases don't often get a lot of coverage is that typically they involve someone running for local office (city/county commissioner, mayor, sheriff...). In Georgia alone there have been eight cases resulting in convictions in the past decade.
                          Again, Trump had a special commission set up to investigate this. Why didn't he release a report documenting these sweeping instances of voting fraud?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                            If you have information (aka. documented evidence) on a "major mail in ballot cheating scandal" by Democrats, please share. I'm willing to read it.
                            Last edited by Whateverman; 06-02-2020, 01:20 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I've already provided the link to the database of election and voter fraud by state.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In the case you propose above, the officer would not shoot him at all, much less in the leg. They should only shoot if there is an eminent threat to their lives or the lives of others. Which is why they shoot to kill, not wound.

Comment