Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: The Joe Biden thread

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Understood, but there are also wide variances in regions. And, while not trying to defend it, people tend to accept certain risks as part of exercising freedoms - Americans are just wired that way.

I'm thinking there's a growing backlash to all this shutdown, and - like I said - that nutter Michigan Governor unwittingly becomes the posterchild for "we're mad as hell and we're not gonna take this anymore!"
    FWIW, this article from @PalmerReport just came up for me.

According to an NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll from Wednesday, 77% of Americans and 57% of Republicans are “very concerned” or “concerned” about there being a second wave of COVID, despite Trump’s reassurances that it won’t happen. The same poll also shows that the majority of Americans, Republicans included, believe it will be at least six months before things can go back to normal. Another poll by AP-NORC found similar results, meaning this is part of a worrying trend. Trump’s not convincing – and he’s likely to be even less so in the wake of another outbreak. Even if he were able to magically reopen the economy like he claims, it wouldn’t automatically refresh to how it was in 2017 – he’d be left with nothing to brag about.

"A single poll proves nothing" (Voltaire) so take that for just one data point but surely we'll get additional polling on this issue in the near future.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    I was speaking for generally about enthusiasm for voting Democratic, not specifically enthusiasm for Biden. I am aware that people are less enthusiastic to vote for Biden than Trump's (smaller) base is. I believe that will change both after Biden chooses his VP and as the election is transformed fully into a referendum on Trump. Also I think a lot of that polling on Biden was done still pretty close to the primary and there remained a lot of hurt feelings. I know in 2016 it took me a long time to become enthusiastic to vote for Clinton after Sanders lost.
    So you think that when the campaign trail opens up, Biden is thrust out from his basement into the public eye and into pretty hostile environments, having to ask questions and explain his policies in detail without a script to follow, that enthusiasm will start to climb for him from where it is now? I'm telling you, man, you are the quintessential definition of delusional. It astounds me. If the DNC is as delusional as you are, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they won't replace him and they'll actually roll this dude out into the general debates.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    So you think that when the campaign trail opens up, Biden is thrust out from his basement into the public eye and into pretty hostile environments, having to ask questions and explain his policies in detail without a script to follow, that enthusiasm will start to climb for him from where it is now? I'm telling you, man, you are the quintessential definition of delusional. It astounds me. If the DNC is as delusional as you are, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they won't replace him and they'll actually roll this dude out into the general debates.
    So let's place a bet. If Biden is not made the nominee at the convention I'll admit I was deluded. And if he is made the nominee then you admit it.

If he somehow gets Coronavirus then the bet is off, however, since that's more of an act of gods situation.

But yes, I believe the more he is able to be out in public going forward the more it will help him. It's not like he didn't just do a dozen debates during the primary and he only got stronger with each performance.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So let's place a bet. If Biden is not made the nominee at the convention I'll admit I was deluded. And if he is made the nominee then you admit it.

If he somehow gets Coronavirus then the bet is off, however, since that's more of an act of gods situation.

But yes, I believe the more he is able to be out in public going forward the more it will help him. It's not like he didn't just do a dozen debates during the primary and he only got stronger with each performance.
    That's a bet I'm not at all confident in, like I said. I'd have to be 100%, or even 70% confident in the intelligence and reasoning of the DNC. No thanks.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One thing that could cause problems for Trump is if the Democrats manage to push through their "vote cheat by mail" scheme, even if it's only in a few key states.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    That's a bet I'm not at all confident in, like I said. I'd have to be 100%, or even 70% confident in the intelligence and reasoning of the DNC. No thanks.
    To avoid being accused of arguing by weblink I'm going to have to ask to you imagine I inserted a link to the Minor Threat song "Small man, big mouth" here.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 05-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, I understand your perspective I think. I agree, as I think would most, that Biden's best days are behind him and he's not who I would ideally choose to be president.
    So far, so good.

I don't think he will crack like you say but I'd much rather just take another Obama term as would I think most.
    Understood.

Let me clarify my perspective. The most important characteristic of any politician is that they win and I believe Biden has the best shot at winning based on the data in front of me (at best it could be claimed that he was even money with Sanders for a short while though that radically misstates things). He may not be the ideal person to be President but he might be the ideal person to run against Trump (e.g. third Obama term, direction of the country under Obama etc.)
    I still think it's too early to tell, because I think we quite know how far the current backlash is going to go, or how fast the economy begins to turn around. That's about the ONLY chance Biden has - that things stay in a shambles.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    One thing that could cause problems for Trump is if the Democrats manage to push through their "vote cheat by mail" scheme, even if it's only in a few key states.
    Voting by mail works very well. Republican Utah has been using it successfully, as has Democratic Washington. As has my own country for local elections.

It's understandable though that you're fearful that vote-by-mail will mean you Republicans won't be able to use your usual voter suppression tactics in swing states to stop Democrats from voting. Be a real shame if everyone who was constitutionally entitled to do so, actually got to vote, wouldn't it?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbulb View Post
    Voting by mail works very well.
    Especially if you're trying to steal an election.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Especially if you're trying to steal an election.
    The republican in the California special election seat, formally held by a democrat, just won that election which was an all mail in ballot election. I guess the republicans must be mailing in fraudulent ballots, eh?