Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Joe Biden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not a fact at all. Blacks are incarcerated at disproportionately higher rates only because they commit a disproportionate percentage of crimes.

But that's not to say that all blacks are criminals like Joe implied.
    Blacks also are incarcerated at a higher rate for petty drug offenses like smoking a joint in public. But what rarely gets mentioned is that according to a study I read in the early 2000s they are also much more likely to get arrested for other things as well when they get caught doing something like that. Namely, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. The latter charges are often dropped in a plea bargain. Another factor usually overlooked is that blacks also have a higher chance of having a previous run in with the law and the court system (especially in my state) tends to be stricter with those with a record than those without one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not a fact at all. Blacks are incarcerated at disproportionately higher rates only because they commit a disproportionate percentage of crimes.

Don't you find it odd that he implied that all blacks are criminals and the host didn't confront him about that? Just like he pushed back on Biden his "you ain't black" comment? Isn't implying all blacks are criminals like 1000x more offensive?

And I mean, really. Pretend that the races were reversed in the Arbery murder. Would it really have taken this length of time and degree of public outcry for those men to be arrested? You know it wouldn't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        Don't you find it odd that he implied that all blacks are criminals and the host didn't confront him about that? Just like he pushed back on Biden his "you ain't black" comment? Isn't implying all blacks are criminals like 1000x more offensive?
        Nope.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Moreover, IIRC Trump never said that he ever grabbed a woman by her private parts (as Biden has been accused of) but rather that billionaires can get away with such behavior. I've always looked at that statement in the same way I look about his statement being able to get away with gunning someone down in the middle of the street. Obvious gross exaggeration for effect. Something he does a lot.

Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bush: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab ’em by the [presidential behavior amirite]. You can do anything.

I'll ask you the same question I asked MM: would you leave your daughter alone with someone you overheard speaking this way under *any* circumstances?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Nope.
            If you feel that way then "you ain't black" ;).

Comment

• Also, Biden should probably stop using VP picks to race pander...

"I’m not acknowledging anybody who is being considered, but I guarantee you, there are multiple black women being considered. Multiple"

The disappointment in NOT picking a black woman as VP could backfire pretty spectacularly. As was pointed out with his loony comments about "you ain't black" earlier, he's already in hot water. Obvious race pandering and being condescending to black folks is probably not a good election strategy.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I thought the "testing positive" thing was an obvious attempt at making a joke
                Yeah, at WORST, he got it temporarily confused, but I'd agree - it was a goofy joke. It was quite clear what he was saying, though.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                  Did you listen to the video? It didn't sound like a joke to me.
                  Because you're listening to it with a jaundiced ear.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Because you're listening to it with a jaundiced ear.
                    I think I'm very fair to both Americans and Russophiles.

Comment

That blacks are treated more harshly by our police and justice systems is a fact, but given your performance in the Arbery thread, it is not surprising you'd be on this tack.

But it is not the ONLY factor that results in higher incarceration.

---

There are several factors involved here. Some of the most significant directly owe their source to current or past prejudice and racism:

Here are 4 of them:

1) On average, black people grow up poorer and closer to crime and criminals. This greatly increases the opportunity for them to be drawn into criminal activity
                      2) On average, black people receive a lower quality education than whites
                      3) On average, black people have a harder time getting that quality secondary education (college) required to find their way out of the poverty/crime cycle
                      4) On average, black people are treated more harshly, are incarcerated more often for the same offense than white people.

Without effective and proactive action to change all of these and the other underlying elements that continue the cycles of poverty, crime, and racism in the black community in this country, that picture will not change.

But the first step to real change from this point (a lot has been done, but there is still too much which remains) is for white people to accept that the cause is the legacy of slavery and racism and its cumulative effect over time on the black community, and the roadblocks that legacy presents to changing that situation. The average black man or woman begins behind their white counterparts in their environment, their personal wealth, their opportunity to better themselves and make a good life for themselves and their families. Denying that and it's cumulative effect only prolongs the problem.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• I'm kind of surprised (or maybe not) that Biden "you ain't black" comment is making the MSM rounds like a wild fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          I'm kind of surprised (or maybe not) that Biden "you ain't black" comment is making the MSM rounds like a wild fire.
                          At the WaPo columnist Jonathan Capehart is proclaiming that "Biden's 'you ain't black' comment was clearly a joke" while over at USA Today describes it as being during "a testy exchange Friday with African American radio host Charlamagne tha God."

NBC notes how a "Biden senior adviser tweeted that the candidate's remark was made ‘in jest’" but confirmed the tense atmosphere.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            That blacks are treated more harshly by our police and justice systems is a fact, but given your performance in the Arbery thread, it is not surprising you'd be on this tack.

But it is not the ONLY factor that results in higher incarceration.

---

There are several factors involved here. Some of the most significant directly owe their source to current or past prejudice and racism:

Here are 4 of them:

1) On average, black people grow up poorer and closer to crime and criminals. This greatly increases the opportunity for them to be drawn into criminal activity
                            2) On average, black people receive a lower quality education than whites
                            3) On average, black people have a harder time getting that quality secondary education (college) required to find their way out of the poverty/crime cycle
                            4) On average, black people are treated more harshly, are incarcerated more often for the same offense than white people.

Without effective and proactive action to change all of these and the other underlying elements that continue the cycles of poverty, crime, and racism in the black community in this country, that picture will not change.

But the first step to real change from this point (a lot has been done, but there is still too much which remains) is for white people to accept that the cause is the legacy of slavery and racism and its cumulative effect over time on the black community, and the roadblocks that legacy presents to changing that situation. The average black man or woman begins behind their white counterparts in their environment, their personal wealth, their opportunity to better themselves and make a good life for themselves and their families. Denying that and it's cumulative effect only prolongs the problem.
                            I was only answering the question why blacks are incarcerated at disproportionately higher rates, and it's because they commit disproportionately more crimes. That's a simple fact. Why that's the case is a different matter, but to claim that they are treated more harshly for no reason other than the color of their skin is false.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              At the WaPo columnist Jonathan Capehart is proclaiming that "Biden's 'you ain't black' comment was clearly a joke" while over at USA Today describes it as being during "a testy exchange Friday with African American radio host Charlamagne tha God."

NBC notes how a "Biden senior adviser tweeted that the candidate's remark was made ‘in jest’" but confirmed the tense atmosphere.
                              The fellow conducting the interview certainly didn't think it was a joke.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I was only answering the question why blacks are incarcerated at disproportionately higher rates, and it's because they commit disproportionately more crimes. That's a simple fact. Why that's the case is a different matter, but to claim that they are treated more harshly for no reason other than the color of their skin is false.
                                No MM, it is not false, and it is well documented phenomenon. Same crime, white person generally receives less of a punishment than a black person with an equal past. Those are the facts. And it's a problem.

The list of articles and research that documents the problem is nearly endless. Here are a few ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/u...-charging.html

https://www.sentencingproject.org/pu...l-disparities/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ry-racism.html

https://www.vera.org/publications/fo...-unjust-burden

https://www.vera.org/newsroom/resear...justice-system

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-study-finds/
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment