tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Here's the polling reported on 538.

Here's the reporting on RCP.

Kindly point me which aspect on there fills you with joy that Biden is the nominee and ought to fill me with dread.
    Putting the obvious flaws in the polls aside, the polls are in his favor now because he was hiding in a basement doing friendly prescripted interviews online. I know because i watched most of them. Even then he stammered, stuttered and slurred his words, but he didn't say anything stupid or offensive. As soon as you get him into the wild or an environment that's a bit hostile and not scripted, this is the result you get. Wait until the election progressives and he has to face more of these unscripted, hostile environments. Wait until Trump's campaign starts using those millions to pump out the brutal campaign ads. Forget about the debates. If we get that far, that will be a national embarrassment not just for the DNC, but all of us. You're delusional, seriously.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Putting the obvious flaws in the polls aside, the polls are in his favor now because he was hiding in a basement doing friendly prescripted interviews online. I know because i watched most of them. Even then he stammered, stuttered and slurred his words, but he didn't say anything stupid or offensive. As soon as you get him into the wild or an environment that's a bit hostile and not scripted, this is the result you get. Wait until the election progressives and he has to face more of these unscripted, hostile environments. Wait until Trump's campaign starts using those millions to pump out the brutal campaign ads. Forget about the debates. If we get that far, that will be a national embarrassment not just for the DNC, but all of us. You're delusional, seriously.
    I tend to think that the presiding over the worst economy in almost a century and soon to be more deaths than WW1 matters more than stuttering and stammering but that's just delusional DO :).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I tend to think that the presiding over the worst economy in almost a century and soon to be more deaths than WW1 matters more than stuttering and stammering but that's just delusional DO :).
    Okie doke.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    A man who defies the basic moral norms of a person in power is a dangerous person to have in the office of POTUS - regardless of your immature ignorance of that fact.

As for your question, I wasn't answering it. I was correcting your false assumption:

You assumed that his defense of Biden was somehow tied to him being a 'Biden Fanboy'. That is not a necessary pre-condition to supporting Biden - as I pointed out.
    And that was point. You want as an assured victory as you can get against someone you consider the next evil thing since Genghis Khan. I was specifically asking him why HE THINKS BIDEN IS THAT GUY. I wasn't asking for your typical obsessive Orange man bad diatribe. He pointed me to the polls. Okay.

5. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure that even if Trump had responded properly to the pandemic we could have avoided the impact to the economy. It might not have been as severe, but eventually we would have had to go into a shelter in place - no country has been able to avoid that without significant consequences (sweden maybe, jury is still out on that)
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure that even if Trump had responded properly to the pandemic we could have avoided the impact to the economy. It might not have been as severe, but eventually we would have had to go into a shelter in place - no country has been able to avoid that without significant consequences (sweden maybe, jury is still out on that)
    That's true but thems the breaks. He was gifted the Obama recovery so it's not like he didn't get a fair shot.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineBoob View Post
    Here's the polling reported on 538.

Here's the reporting on RCP.

Kindly point me which aspect on there fills you with joy that Biden is the nominee and ought to fill me with dread.
    You still trust polling data after the last few election cycles?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Why, do you think it's even worse for Trump than the polls are showing? Lets get him out of there before Putin has him do any more damage.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Trump does.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here in New Zealand we are reopening the economy, having eliminated the virus from the country through a strict but shortish lockdown (5 weeks at the strictest level, another 5 or so of decreasing restrictions).

Unemployment went up about 1.5% over the lockdown (the government offered businesses a wage subsidy if they agreed to retain their workers and most did). I expect unemployment will go back down to pre-Covid levels (~5%) as the economy reopens fully (minus foreign tourism, which will obviously remain impacted as the borders remain shut... it remains to be seen how local tourism will compare as people here who would normal have holidayed in other countries may now holiday locally instead). The government has chosen to spend like drunken sailors in its annual budget released last week (a choice I agree with), and has chosen to run up reasonably significant debt (around 20 percentage points of GDP, taking us from around 30% to around 50% of GDP; compare to US at around 105% of GDP) in order to minimize impacts to the economy and restart economic activity with infrastructure spending etc.

The result is that public approval of the government's handling of Covid is polling at 90%, and the current Prime Minister is polling as the most popular NZ leader in the last century. She'll be able to bank that at the next election in a few months time.

So a different path to the one the US went down is definitely possible. You could have had almost no loss of life (4 deaths per million population was the figure here; compare to 291 deaths per million population thus far in the US) and very little damage to your economy aside from a bit of debt on the government books. However, I don't know what to suggest you guys do given where you are. I don't know if you any longer have a choice between saving lives and saving the economy... both seem lost to you. Among the different countries you seem to have had among the largest losses of life and among the largest hits to your economy. It seems like failed leadership is pretty clearly to blame.
    Last edited by Starlight; 05-23-2020 at 01:34 AM.