Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reserved Parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserved Parking

(I hope this isn't the wrong board. I'm kinda new around here) ....

I'm curious if anyone else here agrees with my complaint.

In my quiet suburb, the local Walmart has decided to reserve two of the closest parking spaces near its grocery entrance for police officers. Mind you, the police in my city do not have enough to do on nearly any day, and tend to find new speed traps and frequent local cafes (not enough doughnut shops here). My elderly father-in-law uses a walker and manages to hobble several parking spaces back to get to the grocery entrance, so why can't police here do the same?

Anyway, I was so irate to see this development that I will be bribing my father-in-law to go to another grocery store from now on - even if it costs more money. I will pay the difference. And I am encouraging my entire family in this city to go elsewhere too.

Does this sound like an over reaction? I wouldn't mind if the spots were reserved for firefighters or ambulance drivers or some other volunteers, but for cops who don't have enough to do?

Yeah, I think you're being picky. Walmart owns (or leases) the property on which their parking lot sits, and has sole authority to designate reserved parking other than the Handicap Parking required and/or regulated by law.

It could well be that they want these spots for high visibility to encourage officers to respond to shoplifting events, or do discourage loitering or disorderly conduct.

Would you be just as upset if they designated "employee of the month" parking spots, or "ordered by phone" reserved parking? Our local Walmart has TWENTYTWO reserved parking spots for "online order pickup", even though only 2 or 3 of these spots are ever occupied at any time.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Our Walmart is doing the same thing. But they are in between the two handicap sections and close to the fire zone. I think it's to get the cop cars out of the fire zone where they park to occasionally make sure they are seen.

I once saw several officers chase down a shoplifter at that store so yeah it is sometimes necessary.

Better question - why doesn't your father-in-law have a handicap placard?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, I think you're being picky. Walmart owns (or leases) the property on which their parking lot sits, and has sole authority to designate reserved parking other than the Handicap Parking required and/or regulated by law.

It could well be that they want these spots for high visibility to encourage officers to respond to shoplifting events, or do discourage loitering or disorderly conduct.

Would you be just as upset if they designated "employee of the month" parking spots, or "ordered by phone" reserved parking? Our local Walmart has TWENTYTWO reserved parking spots for "online order pickup", even though only 2 or 3 of these spots are ever occupied at any time.
        I realize they can do anything they want with their parking lot. I'm not particularly enamored with Walmart anyway so it's no skin off my nose to shop elsewhere, I usually do anyway. It's convincing my family to do so that is the challenge.

This store also has about 10 "order by phone" spots reserved but they are at the other end of the building. They do have one "employee of the month" spot reserved but not in front of the grocery entrance, but a little off to one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          I realize they can do anything they want with their parking lot. I'm not particularly enamored with Walmart anyway so it's no skin off my nose to shop elsewhere, I usually do anyway. It's convincing my family to do so that is the challenge.

This store also has about 10 "order by phone" spots reserved but they are at the other end of the building. They do have one "employee of the month" spot reserved but not in front of the grocery entrance, but a little off to one side.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Our Walmart is doing the same thing. But they are in between the two handicap sections and close to the fire zone. I think it's to get the cop cars out of the fire zone where they park to occasionally make sure they are seen.

I once saw several officers chase down a shoplifter at that store so yeah it is sometimes necessary.

Better question - why doesn't your father-in-law have a handicap placard?
            It expired and he hasn't gotten a new one. He refuses to think of himself as handicapped anyway and will walk a mile to prove it. It's kind of sad really. He's been a hard worker all his life, always carried his own weight, and doesn't want anyone to help him.

Comment

It expired and he hasn't gotten a new one. He refuses to think of himself as handicapped anyway and will walk a mile to prove it. It's kind of sad really. He's been a hard worker all his life, always carried his own weight, and doesn't want anyone to help him.
              And there are some folks who are just FAT, and ride the carts and use the special parking.....

Don't get me started!!!!

Comment

And there are some folks who are just FAT, and ride the carts and use the special parking.....

Don't get me started!!!!
                Well, yeah. They would likely be in better shape if they didn't use the motorized carts, but I am seeing fewer of them now that the online shopping has kicked in. Maybe that's the solution for my father-in-law, online shopping.

Comment

Well, yeah. They would likely be in better shape if they didn't use the motorized carts, but I am seeing fewer of them now that the online shopping has kicked in. Maybe that's the solution for my father-in-law, online shopping.
                  I hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention it - I don't guess I see nearly the motorized carts I've seen in the past. Maybe you're onto something!

Comment

I figured out how to do an "amen"

Comment

Practice on any of my posts.

Comment

Don't get me started!!!!
                        When you suddenly can't walk see what happens to your weight! The street runs both ways - yes, weight can cause mobility issues but mobility issues can also cause excessive weight gain.

I went from able to walk up a staircase carrying 50lbs of dog food to can't walk at all without crutches in a single day and I never have regained the ability to walk around Walmart. I did good this week - been out in the yard every day and to the gate twice - which would have been nothing a few years ago but hurts now.

Think it's so danged easy - try a severe arthritis attack in a knee sometime.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Running a marathon is not a training regime. I make a point to shop at DG so I have to walk - but Walmart is way too big for me to do that. Walking from one door to the other for a cart hurts - a lot.

Walmart Grocery .com. Walmart also offers in store pick up and delivery. Walmart .com has free delivery for most orders over $35.

He still needs it renewed. Sometimes you need to go in (Wally World or elsewhere) - and eventually you have to go in when you're having a really bad day. On good days, just don't use the placard.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Keep in mind that accidentally amening a post that you were trying to report is known around here as "doing a C.P." (Cow Poke)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment