Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New discovery of the evolution of mammals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New discovery of the evolution of mammals

The evolution of mammals is very well documented, and one of the missing keys to evolution of mammals hearing has been discovered.

Source: https://www.unb.com.bd/category/World/ancient-fossils-clarify-evolution-of-mammalian-hearing/37390

Ancient fossils clarify evolution of mammalian hearing

Researchers have discovered ancient fossils of a new Cretaceous mammal species in northeast China's Liaoning Province, finding a missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle of mammalian hearing evolution.

The research was jointly conducted by paleontologists from the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology (IVPP) under the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the American Museum of Natural History. Their findings were published in the latest issue of the journal Science.

An early mammal could hardly hear anything except its own chewing sounds while eating since its auditory bones were attached to its jaw. When and how the clear division of function between hearing and chewing in modern mammals formed in evolution remained a mystery.

The newly-discovered fossils were well-preserved, with the bone link between auditory bones and jaw gone, showing a direct separation of hearing and chewing modules in mammalian evolution, said Mao Fangyuan, a member of the research team from the IVPP.

The multi-directional movements of the jaw during chewing may have accelerated the detachment of the auditory bones from the jaw, according to the research.

The detachment of hearing and chewing modules in mammals eliminated their interference with each other and pushed the two modules' evolution forward, Mao said.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

The fossil record of the evolutionary progression of the mammalian ear from three bones in the jaws of early synapsids is robustly documented. So much so that there is often serious debate whether to classify something as being more of a reptile-like mammal or a mammal-like reptile.

Still, it's great to add another link to the chain -- especially at such an important juncture.

Would like to see more on this in the scientific literature.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The fossil record of the evolutionary progression of the mammalian ear from three bones in the jaws of early synapsids is robustly documented. So much so that there is often serious debate whether to classify something as being more of a reptile-like mammal or a mammal-like reptile.

Still, it's great to add another link to the chain -- especially at such an important juncture.

Would like to see more on this in the scientific literature.
      Good! Post it when you find the reference.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Good! Post it when you find the reference.
        What! It just creates two more missing links, doubling the amount that we don't know and moving evolution closer to the ash heap of history. :)

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          What! It just creates two more missing links, doubling the amount that we don't know and moving evolution closer to the ash heap of history. :)
          The continuous discovery of intermediates in the evolution of life confirms evolution. This includes the diversity of variation within species, sub-species and varieties, which results in adaptation to environments over time. Religious agendas that offer no evidence, but make useless 'arguments from ignorance; cannot present a coherent scientific hypothesis that can be falsified.

This discovery is just one more of many intermediates for the evolution of mammals. What discoveries document your skepticism and religious agenda?
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-09-2019, 06:29 AM.

Frank

Comment

The continuous discovery of intermediates in the evolution of life confirms evolution. This includes the diversity of variation within species, sub-species and varieties, which results in adaptation to environments over time. Religious agendas that offer no evidence, but make useless 'arguments from ignorance; cannot present a coherent scientific hypothesis that can be falsified.

This discovery is just one more of many intermediates for the evolution of mammals. What discoveries document your skepticism and religious agenda?
            My post relied on the old quip that finding one missing link merely created a spot for two missing links, as well as the old argument that "Darwinism" is a theory headed to extinction, a prediction which is jas not come to pass

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              My post relied on the old quip that finding one missing link merely created a spot for two missing links, as well as the old argument that "Darwinism" is a theory headed to extinction, a prediction which is jas not come to pass
              Sarcasm?!?!

Frank

Comment

Sarcasm?!?!
                On Tweb?!?

I'm sho... well:

On a serious note, I believe this is the abstract from the paper in question from the OP (published in the journal Science December 5, 2019:

Source: Integrated hearing and chewing modules decoupled in a Cretaceous stem therian mammal

Abstract

Based on multiple 3D skeletal specimens we report a new Cretaceous stem therian mammal that displays decoupling of hearing and chewing apparatuses and functions. The auditory bones, including the surangular, have no bone contact with the ossified Meckel’s cartilage; the latter is loosely lodged on the medial rear of the dentary. This configuration probably represents the initial morphological stage of the definitive mammalian middle ear. Evidence shows that hearing and chewing apparatuses have evolved in a modular fashion. Starting as an integrated complex in non-mammaliaform cynodonts, the two modules, regulated by similar developmental and genetic mechanisms, eventually decoupled during the evolution of mammals, allowing further improvement for more efficient hearing and mastication.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And here is an article from ScienceDaily back in October: New Mesozoic Mammal: Discovery Illuminates Mammalian Ear Evolution While Dinosaurs Ruled

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment