Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why is Christianity Not Appealing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Christianity Not Appealing?

Are you not entertained?

Link

----

What makes people notice something? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

In this one, I really am coming with no certain answers yet. I am just thinking out loud about something that has been on my mind and I leave it to you readers to join in the thought process and see what you think. It is the question of why is it people aren’t really drawn to Christianity like they should be?

I realize that this could be a Western phenomenon. Go to other places where there is a greater need from perceived people and you will find willing martyrs most anywhere. Many of us can’t be inconvenienced to go to church if it’s raining a bit outside.

But I have been thinking about this since a few months ago when Pokemon Sword and Shield were announced and then when the games came out, which a friend bought Allie and I a copy of one for each of us respectively. Beforehand, it was a constant barrage of news from Poketubers, people on YouTube who make videos about the series, each trying to find out the latest rumors about the games and give us the information. Now that it’s out, people are still making videos sharing theories and giving feedback and matters of that sort.

We’ve all seen several trends go. Some are still with us. Video games are still extremely popular. The Matrix is still a movie series I can easily remember. Since it is around Christmastime, we can expect many old classic Christmas movies will be played.

We also have seen a rise in popularity of Superhero movies, including the whole arc of the Avengers, which my wife and I still need to finish seeing. I have also said I wouldn’t mind watching the Diehard series this Christmas, which I’ve actually never seen any of and why not watch a Christmas movie around Christmas time? Star Wars has disappointed some fans, but not because they don’t love the series, but they do. If a new Harry Potter movie comes out, people want to go see it.

Let’s face it also. Many of us do get excited about something like this. Even if it’s not a movie series, it could be a TV show or a sports team. There is some great enthusiasm and we want to tell others about it.

So why not Jesus?

I have a few thoughts.

One is that we have become too familiar with the story in some ways. We no longer see the way it impacts our culture. If we heard it all our lives growing up, it doesn’t have the shock effect that it would have. We treat the story almost as if it’s normal.

A second theory is that we don’t really understand it. It’s easy to understand a movie when you see it, but many of us can’t really enter into the ancient world like that. Movies seem to lack something. I’m sure if some of us saw a miracle right in front of us, we would be excited, but many of us do not.

Third, we have really tamed Jesus. Jesus is no longer someone intrusive. We tend to downplay Jesus turning over the tables in the temple or lambasting the Pharisees. We know He was crucified, but don’t really understand how that is. Mr. Rogers doesn’t get crucified. Jesus didn’t get crucified because He was a darn nice guy. Threats get crucified.

Fourth is that talking about Jesus is a risk. We could “offend” someone after all. Many of us also sadly aren’t prepared for opposition, which is why apologetics is so essential today. Also, in a day where sexual ethics are upfront and center, we’re especially scared to talk about Jesus.

I also speculate that God is hard for us to think about. After all, what do you think about when you think of God? We tend to think in images today, especially in the age of television, and you can’t image God. Sadly, He often seems static to us.

Like I said at the start, this is just something I’m still thinking about, but I’m eager to get some feedback on this post. It’s also important to stress that this is a problem often for us as well. Catholic philosopher Peter Kreeft once said he sometimes fears he’s a bigger Red Sox fan than he is a Jesus fan. Many of us can probably relate to the struggle in other ways.

Let me know what you think!

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Christianity is not appealing because it requires change, and that's hard work. I don't think you need to look much farther than that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Everyone thinks forgiveness is awesome until you get your foot stepped on.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Christianity is not appealing because it requires change, and that's hard work. I don't think you need to look much farther than that.
        I agree with you for the most part here, dear brother.

Christianity is not appealing because it requires change, and we do love our sin. It tells us we are vile sinners and only Christ can bring us back into a right relationship with God. We want to deny that we are in need of a Saviour, so we seek those things that we think we can do to make us righteous, and none of them are sufficient.

It's all about Jesus. And if Jesus isn't appealing to the world, well, He said that would be the case, and nothing we can do to make Jesus and, by extension, Christianity, more appealing is going to work. Churches by the thousands are trying to compromise the gospel with worldly stuff and it's just filling those churches with unbelievers who have no idea of what Christianity really is.

Preach the gospel of sin, repentance and faith in Jesus Christ and that's it.
        Last edited by mossrose; 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Any philosophy that requires you to die to self will not be popular in an individualistic society.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The answer never seemed hard to me. Because Christianity asks us to do things that are hard for us. Though they're only hard for us because even though some small, but very real, part of us love God, older parts don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              It is the question of why is it people aren’t really drawn to Christianity like they should be?
              People care about status, and Christianity is low status in a secular, technocratic, Enlightened society among educated people .
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Christianity isn't supposed to be appealing. We're pointing to the truth of Christ, not selling soap.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I thought it had to do with admitting one is helpless and in need of a Savior. Some adults might not have the humility to admit that they need help. Right?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

IMG_1208.JPG

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]41315[/ATTACH]
                      B-but that is often something people don't want to hear.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        B-but that is often something people don't want to hear.
                        Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                          B-but why can't He say stuff that's more upbeat and cheerful? Why doesn't He tell us to not worry about anything and just be happy? I mean, who doesn't want to hear that?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            B-but why can't He say stuff that's more upbeat and cheerful? Why doesn't He tell us to not worry about anything and just be happy? I mean, who doesn't want to hear that?
                            Because all the false teachers say that kind of stuff. So the things they say are, by definition, false.

Comment

Because all the false teachers say that kind of stuff. So the things they say are, by definition, false.
                              That stuff sounds like a buzzkill. Why can't we all just get along?

Comment