Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Why vote for a Christian?

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    677
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    69

    Why vote for a Christian?

    Why vote for a Christian? Can an institution, such as government be influenced by have individuals who accept a Christian worldview?

    What about the military? Does have a large number of Christians restrain it in any way, provide a check to prevent excesses?

    What about Hollywood? The entertainment industry is (rightly) criticized for presenting a worldview at odds with the faith. But we have had several workshops for writers to help present the faith. In the past we've had Touched by an Angel and Seventh Heaven, as well as a current one God Friended Me. How explicit doesa movie need to be?

    What about writing? We have had Graham Greene and Flannery O'Conner, Walker Percy and CS Lewis. Not sure who any current writers are. But as with other forms of entertainment, will Christians accept an overtly Christian message when it comes to entertainment? Are those authors even religious authors?

    Any other domains which ought to be discussed? I put up several widely divergent examples to draw responses, from theists and nontheists alike. I choose this section of Tweb, because I think the responses will point out how apologetics and the role of the faith is viewed.

  2. #2
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    677
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    69
    Is there some critical mass of Christians needed for an institution to become Christian in some way?

    Is there some critical mass of Jews, Buddhists, or Muslims in an institution when that institution can be called Jewish, Buddhist, or Muslim?

    And since I don't want the atheists to feel left out, what about atheists in a group? How many atheist scientist are needed before we can say science is atheistic?

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,473
    Amen (Given)
    12858
    Amen (Received)
    27365
    Just a quick note regarding the title.....

    I don't think I've ever voted for somebody in public life 'because he/she is a Christian'. While that would be a 'plus', I'd be far more interested in their experience, viewpoints, ability to handle problems, proposed solutions...
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  4. Amen Leonhard amen'd this post.
  5. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,288
    Amen (Given)
    5190
    Amen (Received)
    22769
    Those shows you mentioned are not Christian or present any actual Christian views either. They are at best "popular" secular versions of God, where everyone goes to heaven and people turn into angels when they die.

  6. Amen NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  7. #5
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,550
    Amen (Given)
    1604
    Amen (Received)
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Why vote for a Christian? Can an institution, such as government be influenced by have individuals who accept a Christian worldview?

    What about the military? Does have a large number of Christians restrain it in any way, provide a check to prevent excesses?

    What about Hollywood? The entertainment industry is (rightly) criticized for presenting a worldview at odds with the faith. But we have had several workshops for writers to help present the faith. In the past we've had Touched by an Angel and Seventh Heaven, as well as a current one God Friended Me. How explicit doesa movie need to be?

    What about writing? We have had Graham Greene and Flannery O'Conner, Walker Percy and CS Lewis. Not sure who any current writers are. But as with other forms of entertainment, will Christians accept an overtly Christian message when it comes to entertainment? Are those authors even religious authors?

    Any other domains which ought to be discussed? I put up several widely divergent examples to draw responses, from theists and nontheists alike. I choose this section of Tweb, because I think the responses will point out how apologetics and the role of the faith is viewed.
    In the USA we are a overwhelmingly predominant Christian world, and most people who run for elected office are Christian. There are much more important qualification that are considered for elected office than the persons religious belief.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  8. #6
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    677
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Those shows you mentioned are not Christian or present any actual Christian views either. They are at best "popular" secular versions of God, where everyone goes to heaven and people turn into angels when they die.
    I am not familiar with seventh heaven, or watched God Friended Me enough to draw conclusion. But I have watched Touched by an Angel a bit. I think the show is undoubtedly Christian, even tackling difficult theological topics, especially late in the series. Yes it did wrap everything up in a single hour, usually with a happy ending.

    Most every episode tackles topic which would be suitable for an in depth adult bible study group interested in theology.

    What would make a show Christian?

  9. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,473
    Amen (Given)
    12858
    Amen (Received)
    27365
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    I am not familiar with seventh heaven, or watched God Friended Me enough to draw conclusion. But I have watched Touched by an Angel a bit. I think the show is undoubtedly Christian, even tackling difficult theological topics, especially late in the series. Yes it did wrap everything up in a single hour, usually with a happy ending.

    Most every episode tackles topic which would be suitable for an in depth adult bible study group interested in theology.

    What would make a show Christian?
    Not answering for Sparko, but my concern with these "Christian" shows is that they tend to provide a false sense of security -- that by "being good" you can get to Heaven, or become an angel, or your "good deeds can outweigh your bad deeds" and you're OK.....

    To me, a "Christian" show should at least make it clear that one becomes a Christian by accepting Christ as Savior and living for Him, not just "being good".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. Amen Sparko, NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  11. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,288
    Amen (Given)
    5190
    Amen (Received)
    22769
    What CP said. They usually teach universalism, show the angels as flawed humans with superpowers. It is good in that they are showing something wholesome and family oriented, and they are based on God existing, but they never mention Jesus or how you need him to be saved.

    But this is getting off your topic, sorry.

    I think the reason to vote for a Christian is because hopefully they will have the same values as I do. Being against Abortion for example. I know just about every president has claimed to be Christian and they don't always (or ever) live up to it, but some do.

    I think Jimmy Carter was one of them. He wasn't a good president, but he is a good Christian. Where he failed is in leading the country strongly enough. Maybe that was a Christian failing of his? Not wanting to start any wars or controversy? I don't know.

  12. #9
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sagittarius Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,072
    Amen (Given)
    249
    Amen (Received)
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think Jimmy Carter was one of them. He wasn't a good president, but he is a good Christian. Where he failed is in leading the country strongly enough. Maybe that was a Christian failing of his? Not wanting to start any wars or controversy? I don't know.
    Yeah, first presidential election I was old enough to vote. When I heard Jimmy Carter was a professing Christian, I voted for him. BIG MISTAKE!

  13. #10
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,526
    Amen (Given)
    1171
    Amen (Received)
    20463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post


    I think Jimmy Carter was one of them. He wasn't a good president, but he is a good Christian. Where he failed is in leading the country strongly enough. Maybe that was a Christian failing of his? Not wanting to start any wars or controversy? I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Yeah, first presidential election I was old enough to vote. When I heard Jimmy Carter was a professing Christian, I voted for him. BIG MISTAKE!
    Around here they tend to say that Jimmy has been a far better ex-president than he was a president.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  14. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •