Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why vote for a Christian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why vote for a Christian?

Why vote for a Christian? Can an institution, such as government be influenced by have individuals who accept a Christian worldview?

What about the military? Does have a large number of Christians restrain it in any way, provide a check to prevent excesses?

What about Hollywood? The entertainment industry is (rightly) criticized for presenting a worldview at odds with the faith. But we have had several workshops for writers to help present the faith. In the past we've had Touched by an Angel and Seventh Heaven, as well as a current one God Friended Me. How explicit doesa movie need to be?

What about writing? We have had Graham Greene and Flannery O'Conner, Walker Percy and CS Lewis. Not sure who any current writers are. But as with other forms of entertainment, will Christians accept an overtly Christian message when it comes to entertainment? Are those authors even religious authors?

Any other domains which ought to be discussed? I put up several widely divergent examples to draw responses, from theists and nontheists alike. I choose this section of Tweb, because I think the responses will point out how apologetics and the role of the faith is viewed.

Is there some critical mass of Christians needed for an institution to become Christian in some way?

Is there some critical mass of Jews, Buddhists, or Muslims in an institution when that institution can be called Jewish, Buddhist, or Muslim?

And since I don't want the atheists to feel left out, what about atheists in a group? How many atheist scientist are needed before we can say science is atheistic?

Comment

Just a quick note regarding the title.....

I don't think I've ever voted for somebody in public life 'because he/she is a Christian'. While that would be a 'plus', I'd be far more interested in their experience, viewpoints, ability to handle problems, proposed solutions...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Those shows you mentioned are not Christian or present any actual Christian views either. They are at best "popular" secular versions of God, where everyone goes to heaven and people turn into angels when they die.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Why vote for a Christian? Can an institution, such as government be influenced by have individuals who accept a Christian worldview?

What about the military? Does have a large number of Christians restrain it in any way, provide a check to prevent excesses?

What about Hollywood? The entertainment industry is (rightly) criticized for presenting a worldview at odds with the faith. But we have had several workshops for writers to help present the faith. In the past we've had Touched by an Angel and Seventh Heaven, as well as a current one God Friended Me. How explicit doesa movie need to be?

What about writing? We have had Graham Greene and Flannery O'Conner, Walker Percy and CS Lewis. Not sure who any current writers are. But as with other forms of entertainment, will Christians accept an overtly Christian message when it comes to entertainment? Are those authors even religious authors?

Any other domains which ought to be discussed? I put up several widely divergent examples to draw responses, from theists and nontheists alike. I choose this section of Tweb, because I think the responses will point out how apologetics and the role of the faith is viewed.
          In the USA we are a overwhelmingly predominant Christian world, and most people who run for elected office are Christian. There are much more important qualification that are considered for elected office than the persons religious belief.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Those shows you mentioned are not Christian or present any actual Christian views either. They are at best "popular" secular versions of God, where everyone goes to heaven and people turn into angels when they die.
            I am not familiar with seventh heaven, or watched God Friended Me enough to draw conclusion. But I have watched Touched by an Angel a bit. I think the show is undoubtedly Christian, even tackling difficult theological topics, especially late in the series. Yes it did wrap everything up in a single hour, usually with a happy ending.

Most every episode tackles topic which would be suitable for an in depth adult bible study group interested in theology.

What would make a show Christian?

Comment

I am not familiar with seventh heaven, or watched God Friended Me enough to draw conclusion. But I have watched Touched by an Angel a bit. I think the show is undoubtedly Christian, even tackling difficult theological topics, especially late in the series. Yes it did wrap everything up in a single hour, usually with a happy ending.

Most every episode tackles topic which would be suitable for an in depth adult bible study group interested in theology.

What would make a show Christian?
              Not answering for Sparko, but my concern with these "Christian" shows is that they tend to provide a false sense of security -- that by "being good" you can get to Heaven, or become an angel, or your "good deeds can outweigh your bad deeds" and you're OK.....

To me, a "Christian" show should at least make it clear that one becomes a Christian by accepting Christ as Savior and living for Him, not just "being good".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What CP said. They usually teach universalism, show the angels as flawed humans with superpowers. It is good in that they are showing something wholesome and family oriented, and they are based on God existing, but they never mention Jesus or how you need him to be saved.

But this is getting off your topic, sorry.

I think the reason to vote for a Christian is because hopefully they will have the same values as I do. Being against Abortion for example. I know just about every president has claimed to be Christian and they don't always (or ever) live up to it, but some do.

I think Jimmy Carter was one of them. He wasn't a good president, but he is a good Christian. Where he failed is in leading the country strongly enough. Maybe that was a Christian failing of his? Not wanting to start any wars or controversy? I don't know.

Comment

I think Jimmy Carter was one of them. He wasn't a good president, but he is a good Christian. Where he failed is in leading the country strongly enough. Maybe that was a Christian failing of his? Not wanting to start any wars or controversy? I don't know.
                  Yeah, first presidential election I was old enough to vote. When I heard Jimmy Carter was a professing Christian, I voted for him. BIG MISTAKE!
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Yeah, first presidential election I was old enough to vote. When I heard Jimmy Carter was a professing Christian, I voted for him. BIG MISTAKE!
                    Around here they tend to say that Jimmy has been a far better ex-president than he was a president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Around here they tend to say that Jimmy has been a far better ex-president than he was a president.
                      He has his moments.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I have heard that, but I have also heard that he was the leadership that we needed to avoid a civil war here in the US. Maybe that’s a regional thing, but it’s not all bad to stop a war within those cities and in some way bring peace in a tumultuous time in American history.
                        I am become death...

Comment

Why vote for a Christian?
                          Yes, why vote for a Christian when politicians by and large pretend to be Christian? If they all claim to be Christian, it's no longer a useful criterion. Then again, most that claim to be Christian are nominal and pretending to be Christians, so it's all pretense, pretense all the way down.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            Yes, why vote for a Christian when politicians by and large pretend to be Christian? If they all claim to be Christian, it's no longer a useful criterion. Then again, most that claim to be Christian are nominal and pretending to be Christians, so it's all pretense, pretense all the way down.
                            What makes a real Christian, as opposed to the pretend Christian, and how does one tell the real from the pretend?

Does the Pretend Christian realize that he is not the real McCoy?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                              How does one differentiate between the pretend Christian and the real deal?

Many claim Carter is not a real Christian while Reagan is. Yet in 1980, many wondered if the Christian had a duty to vote for the born again Christian over the divorced Hollywood star.

Apparently Donald Trump is the real deal, several prominent Christians, such as James Dobson, examined him and declared him to be the real deal.

And how is the politician different from any other Christian? For some reason, each individual thinks he is the real deal, and the problem is with the other.

Apparently few Christians really see an advantage to having Christians in politics, or any other institution. And the reason seems to be that they are not Christian enough!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X