Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why vote for a Christian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    How does one differentiate between the pretend Christian and the real deal?

Many claim Carter is not a real Christian while Reagan is. Yet in 1980, many wondered if the Christian had a duty to vote for the born again Christian over the divorced Hollywood star.

Apparently Donald Trump is the real deal, several prominent Christians, such as James Dobson, examined him and declared him to be the real deal.

And how is the politician different from any other Christian? For some reason, each individual thinks he is the real deal, and the problem is with the other.

Apparently few Christians really see an advantage to having Christians in politics, or any other institution. And the reason seems to be that they are not Christian enough!
    I think whether or not a politician is a real Christian shows up in their work. For example, Carter has been scandal free as an ex president and active in many many charities. George W. Bush is another example of someone whose actions speak louder than words. And as far as other's go, I get the idea that Mike Pence is genuine as well in his faith. But my comments are judging on actions. Bear in mind I think one can be a Christian and make mistakes, but to me the volume and number of "mistakes" (such as affairs with many women, or being involved in other things which Paul preaches against in Galations 5) speaks a lot as to whether or not a person is truly a Christian.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What makes a real Christian, as opposed to the pretend Christian, and how does one tell the real from the pretend?

Does the Pretend Christian realize that he is not the real McCoy?
      By their fruit you shall know them.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What makes a real Christian, as opposed to the pretend Christian, and how does one tell the real from the pretend?
        One common type of Pretend Christian is the nominal Christian. He has been well-described before.

Does the Pretend Christian realize that he is not the real McCoy?
        Some of them probably do. Some of them deliberately pretend (e.g. most politicians).

Many claim Carter is not a real Christian while Reagan is. Yet in 1980, many wondered if the Christian had a duty to vote for the born again Christian over the divorced Hollywood star.
        It's hard to accept that they are both probably not, and that it's been worse in every subsequent race where it is almost certain to downright clear that both main candidates are pretend Christians. What do you do now?

Apparently Donald Trump is the real deal

Apparently few Christians really see an advantage to having Christians in politics, or any other institution. And the reason seems to be that they are not Christian enough!
        Ha.

First, be sure of your starting point. As a nation, the US hasn't been Christian for some time, only Pretend Christian, with most self-declared Christians being Pretend Christians. Firmly fix that as a first point, then it might be easier to decide what a real Christian should do.
        Last edited by demi-conservative; 12-14-2019, 03:39 PM.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Why vote for a Christian?
          In a country with more Pretend Christians than real ones, and a small fraction of politicians being real ones, it is simply virtue signalling at this point. Why else did people like Hillary, Obama, Trump or Romney get 'cleared' on this?
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            By their fruit you shall know them.
            Is that how Christians ought to judge Trump?

Comment

Is that how Christians ought to judge Trump?
              Absolutely. He will never be asked to teach or preach in my church, or serve on any committees of value, or serve in any position of leadership.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Absolutely. He will never be asked to teach or preach in my church, or serve on any committees of value, or serve in any position of leadership.
                Interesting, and the response makes sense. But I think it significant that the argument never carried weight when Romney was running.

Comment

Interesting, and the response makes sense. But I think it significant that the argument never carried weight when Romney was running.
                  How so?

Comment

How so?
                    Probably because he's a member of a pseudo-Christian cult -- Mormonism -- and therefore an infidel, regardless of how nice his behavior is.

Something I don't know: Did evangelicals support Romney to the same extent as Trump? I know *I* supported him, and AFAIK all my evangelical friends did, but I don't know whether that was generally the case.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      Probably because he's a member of a pseudo-Christian cult -- Mormonism -- and therefore an infidel, regardless of how nice his behavior is.

Something I don't know: Did evangelicals support Romney to the same extent as Trump? I know *I* supported him, and AFAIK all my evangelical friends did, but I don't know whether that was generally the case.
                      That question is complicated, I'd think, by who it was Romney and Trump ran against. Since I was voting more AGAINST Hillary that I was FOR Trump, I don't think I was thinking in the same way in voting FOR Romney as opposed to Obama. But I've slept a couple times since then, so...

Comment

That question is complicated, I'd think, by who it was Romney and Trump ran against. Since I was voting more AGAINST Hillary that I was FOR Trump, I don't think I was thinking in the same way in voting FOR Romney as opposed to Obama. But I've slept a couple times since then, so...
                        That response raises the question if Obama was more acceptable the Climton!

Comment

That response raises the question if Obama was more acceptable the Climton!
                          I think Obama was less objectionable than Clinton - how's that?

Comment

I think Obama was less objectionable than Clinton - how's that?
                            Was there a substantive difference between the two liberal Democrats?

Comment

Was there a substantive difference between the two liberal Democrats?
                              Interesting.... I think Obama was a lot less dishonest than Clinton. She will do or say anything to get elected, regardless of her personal beliefs.

Comment

Interesting.... I think Obama was a lot less dishonest than Clinton. She will do or say anything to get elected, regardless of her personal beliefs.
                                So Hillary is marked by a deep dishonesty, in contrast to Obama and Trump.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X