Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Targets Anti-Semitism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Targets Anti-Semitism

Trump Targets Anti-Semitism and Israeli Boycotts on College Campuses

Just signed the order moments ago.

The president’s order would allow the government to withhold money from campuses deemed to be biased, but critics see it as an attack on free speech.

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to sign an executive order on Wednesday targeting what he sees as anti-Semitism on college campuses by threatening to withhold federal money from educational institutions that fail to combat discrimination, three administration officials said on Tuesday.

The order will effectively interpret Judaism as a race or nationality, not just a religion, to prompt a federal law penalizing colleges and universities deemed to be shirking their responsibility to foster an open climate for minority students. In recent years, the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions — or B.D.S. — movement against Israel has roiled some campuses, leaving some Jewish students feeling unwelcome or attacked.

In signing the order, Mr. Trump will use his executive power to take action where Congress has not, essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for several years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change to combat anti-Semitism as well as the boycott-Israel movement.

Note - this is NOT another "Impeach Trump" thread - leave that elsewhere.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

But... he's a nazi.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      But... he's a nazi.
      So, he's a GOOD nazi.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But... he's a nazi.
        Well...

Critics of President Donald Trump accused him of antisemitism Tuesday evening because of a poorly-worded tweet by the New York Times about an executive order to fight discrimination against Jews.

As Breitbart News reported, President Trump planned to sign an executive order Wednesday directing federal agencies to apply Title VI of the Civil Rights Act — which bans discrimination on the basis of “race, color, or national origin” — to Jews.

The move has long been supported by Jewish groups and was first undertaken by the Department of Justice in the Obama administration in 2010, which expanded the federal government’s interpretation of Title VI to cover religious groups. That decision was also implemented by the Department of Education under Obama.

However, the New York Times tweeted Tuesday evening that Trump’s executive order would redefine Judaism as a “nationality” — an error that evoked the antisemitic practices of totalitarian societies, such as the Soviet Union.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...ews-nyt-tweet/
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Well...

Critics of President Donald Trump accused him of antisemitism Tuesday evening because of a poorly-worded tweet by the New York Times about an executive order to fight discrimination against Jews.

As Breitbart News reported, President Trump planned to sign an executive order Wednesday directing federal agencies to apply Title VI of the Civil Rights Act — which bans discrimination on the basis of “race, color, or national origin” — to Jews.

The move has long been supported by Jewish groups and was first undertaken by the Department of Justice in the Obama administration in 2010, which expanded the federal government’s interpretation of Title VI to cover religious groups. That decision was also implemented by the Department of Education under Obama.

However, the New York Times tweeted Tuesday evening that Trump’s executive order would redefine Judaism as a “nationality” — an error that evoked the antisemitic practices of totalitarian societies, such as the Soviet Union.

Well, I mean, you also had the former head of FBI intelligence on national TV claim Trump had lowered the flag on 8/8 (H/H), which was code for Heil Hitler. If the former director of FBI intelligence says it, it's good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Well...

Ummm, Jew is:

A race, a religion, and a nationality. It’s possible to be none, all, or any mixture in between.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Ummm, Jew is:

A race, a religion, and a nationality. It’s possible to be none, all, or any mixture in between.
              Case in point --- my former exec admin (the Jewish atheist lesbian liberal) came to visit our Church Sunday morning with her partner and her partner's mother.

She noted that I talked an awful lot about 'Jesus' and 'Jews', but said I did it quite well.

Comment

AND, more generally, a "Semite" can refer to people who speak a Semitic language, including the Jews and Arabs as well as the ancient Babylonians, Assyrians, and Phoenicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Trump Targets Anti-Semitism and Israeli Boycotts on College Campuses

Just signed the order moments ago.

The president’s order would allow the government to withhold money from campuses deemed to be biased, but critics see it as an attack on free speech.

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to sign an executive order on Wednesday targeting what he sees as anti-Semitism on college campuses by threatening to withhold federal money from educational institutions that fail to combat discrimination, three administration officials said on Tuesday.

The order will effectively interpret Judaism as a race or nationality, not just a religion, to prompt a federal law penalizing colleges and universities deemed to be shirking their responsibility to foster an open climate for minority students. In recent years, the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions — or B.D.S. — movement against Israel has roiled some campuses, leaving some Jewish students feeling unwelcome or attacked.

In signing the order, Mr. Trump will use his executive power to take action where Congress has not, essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for several years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change to combat anti-Semitism as well as the boycott-Israel movement.

Note - this is NOT another "Impeach Trump" thread - leave that elsewhere.
                  Dont have to. I added this to the list of 'good' things about Trump in the thread where pix asked me for a list of 3 good things about Trump. So, no complaints here.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But... he's a nazi.
                    Agolf Twitler

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      Agolf Twitler
                      That was almost clever.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                        Agolf Twitler
                        I even accidentally amen'd that.

Comment

Does this fall under 'government controlling free speech'?
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            Does this fall under 'government controlling free speech'?
                            Title VI covers
                            ----
                            nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs
                            Prevents discrimination by programs and activities that receive federal funds. If a recipient of federal funds is found in violation of Title VI, that recipient may lose its federal funding.
                            ----

So it is aimed a things like college campuses where the college endorses discrimination against Jews or protests against Israel. They could lose their federal funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Title VI covers
                              ----
                              nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs
                              Prevents discrimination by programs and activities that receive federal funds. If a recipient of federal funds is found in violation of Title VI, that recipient may lose its federal funding.
                              ----

So it is aimed a things like college campuses where the college endorses discrimination against Jews or protests against Israel. They could lose their federal funding.
                              And if they don't want their federal funding, they're free to hate all they want.

Comment