Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feathered dinosaur tail preserved in amber.

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It proves evolution is fake and that the world is flat.

Also the cow did not jump over the moon. That was faked by NASA

The moon-jump rhyme is a clear reference to ANE cow-worship. Therefore, the moon-landing myth is evidently also a reference to some Ancient Near Eastern moon-worship myth or ritual.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It proves evolution is fake and that the world is flat.

Also the cow did not jump over the moon. That was faked by NASA

On a serious note, do you ''believe'' that biological evolution happened and is still happenning today?

I am asking because from my personal experience most Christians (especially Evangelicals) don't.

The obvious exception here being Rogue06.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    On a serious note, do you ''believe'' that biological evolution happened and is still happenning today?

I am asking because from my personal experience most Christians (especially Evangelicals) don't.

I am not sure. To me it doesn't matter.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am not sure. To me it doesn't matter.
    Fair enough.

Faith
    Discordian Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know I certainly believe in biological evolution. But then, I'm an admitted heretic.
    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Actually I don't "believe" that evolution has taken place and continues to do so having been observed in both the lab and in nature, but rather I accept the evidence for it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Actually I don't "believe" that evolution has taken place and continues to do so having been observed in both the lab and in nature, but rather I accept the evidence for it.
    This is new, and confusing, also needs clarification.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    This is new, and confusing, also needs clarification.
    Do scientists "believe" in scientific theories? Not sure that is a clear way of describing the acceptance theories. When we import the connotations associated with religious belief, things only get muddled.

I would say that I believe, or accept, evolution. But that belief is based on the theological idea that G-d's creation will necessarily reveal some things about the divine and nature itself; which is why nature is sometimes called a type of divine revelation. Then other theological beliefs are also brought in, such as whether the Lord would use natural processes to account for the presence of man.

An example: Once upon a time, the scientific theory of plate tectonics was rejected and ridiculed as a fanciful theory. But over time, it is accepted and (I think) universally held. It is worth noting that the scientists do not see it as a significant change in world view, nothing like moving from atheism to theism. If scientific consensus changes, my beliefs, or acceptance, would likely follow, if I could accept the explanations for the change (I am not a scientist).
    Last edited by simplicio; 12-18-2019 at 04:54 AM.

9. Amen rogue06 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Do scientists "believe" in scientific theories? Not sure that is a clear way of describing the acceptance theories. When we import the connotations associated with religious belief, things only get muddled.

I would say that I believe, or accept, evolution. But that belief is based on the theological idea that G-d's creation will necessarily reveal some things about the divine and nature itself; which is why nature is sometimes called a type of divine revelation. Then other theological beliefs are also brought in, such as whether the Lord would use natural processes to account for the presence of man.
    The dual revelation concept -- God has revealed His creation both in word (the Bible) and deed (nature) -- goes back to at least the ECFs and likely longer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post

An example: Once upon a time, the scientific theory of plate tectonics was rejected and ridiculed as a fanciful theory. But over time, it is accepted and (I think) universally held. It is worth noting that the scientists do not see it as a significant change in world view, nothing like moving from atheism to theism. If scientific consensus changes, my beliefs, or acceptance, would likely follow, if I could accept the explanations for the change (I am not a scientist).
    Thank you for the clarification. This is very very close to what I believe.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.