Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court: Do Dems Think This Will Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Kinda like how I’m expected to state categorically that I am pro-life here, when conservatives presume I am pro-abortion?

Is it also virtue signaling when a conservative says something positive about conservatism to a fellow conservative?

Say a Facebook post of himself holding an AR-15, “From my cold dead hands” etc?

Is it that sort of stuff?

I insist on using conservative examples, because I’m rather dubious of the concept at the moment.
    I can't say I'm speaking for every variation of definitions for virtue signalling.

The first example is probably the only one I would see as possible virtue signaling. The idea of such signalling is that you have to make a claim that gets you standing among your peers.

The conservatives example is too vague and doesn't sound along the line of what I see as virtue signalling.

The last one is more of a political slogan and again doesn't seem to be virtue signalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Kinda like how I’m expected to state categorically that I am pro-life here, when conservatives presume I am pro-abortion?

Is it also virtue signaling when a conservative says something positive about conservatism to a fellow conservative?

Say a Facebook post of himself holding an AR-15, “From my cold dead hands” etc?

Is it that sort of stuff?

I insist on using conservative examples, because I’m rather dubious of the concept at the moment.
      My understanding is that it is associated with wholeness. The rest of the time we call it hypocrisy.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment