Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 5G dangerous?

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think it's fair to raise concerns. However I'm also all for it as long as the towers are spaced away from housing developments. Who knows, maybe 5G will let us finally contact Aliens
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Your first reference is a perspective (not original research) from a plastic surgeon without any training in epidemiology whose mailing address is a PO Box since she has no affiliation with an academic institution. Your second is "Page not found" at NCBI. The last, again a review/perspective, says "more recent studies suggested reproductive, metabolic and neurologic effects of RF-EMF, which are also able to alter bacterial antibiotic resistance" (bolding mine). That is, frankly, garbage.

Are there studies that suggest that there could be health risks of cellular phone signals? Yes. Are they of dubious quality? Almost all of them.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    Your first reference is a perspective (not original research) from a plastic surgeon without any training in epidemiology whose mailing address is a PO Box since she has no affiliation with an academic institution. Your second is "Page not found" at NCBI. The last, again a review/perspective, says "more recent studies suggested reproductive, metabolic and neurologic effects of RF-EMF, which are also able to alter bacterial antibiotic resistance" (bolding mine). That is, frankly, garbage.

Are there studies that suggest that there could be health risks of cellular phone signals? Yes. Are they of dubious quality? Almost all of them.
    Interesting.

Just for grins, lemme tell you from whence my concern comes.

Back in my police days, we had hand-held radar guns - MR-7 radar - that you would hold out the window and aim at oncoming cars. It was not at all unusual, then, that, when pursuing the car you clocked speeding, you would tuck the radar gun between your legs for safe keeping.

Suddenly, there were all kinds of reports of testicular cancer caused by the radar guns.

This was well before the internetzweb, so there wasn't any way to do individual research.

Long story short, I'm skittish on these things, but so far, research has been a bust --- mostly scaremonger hype.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Interesting.

Just for grins, lemme tell you from whence my concern comes.

Back in my police days, we had hand-held radar guns - MR-7 radar - that you would hold out the window and aim at oncoming cars. It was not at all unusual, then, that, when pursuing the car you clocked speeding, you would tuck the radar gun between your legs for safe keeping.

Suddenly, there were all kinds of reports of testicular cancer caused by the radar guns.

This was well before the internetzweb, so there wasn't any way to do individual research.

Long story short, I'm skittish on these things, but so far, research has been a bust --- mostly scaremonger hype.
    Completely understand your nervousness. That sort of thing is almost always impossible to figure out - small group of people with a fairly unique set of circumstances, probably very different levels of exposure, etc. And it's very hard to overcome the sense that something might be going on even if the epidemiology clears it.

At least in the lab, when you work with a carcinogen (or neurotoxin, or what have you), you usually KNOW it's nasty stuff.

These days, the most dangerous stuff i work with is probably the gunk that builds up on my keyboard.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    I think it's fair to raise concerns. However I'm also all for it as long as the towers are spaced away from housing developments. Who knows, maybe 5G will let us finally contact Aliens
    Actually they are placing small cell units potential of relaying 5G on telephone poles all over the cities in preparation of 5G conversion.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Actually they are placing small cell units potential of relaying 5G on telephone poles all over the cities in preparation of 5G conversion.
    Yeah, the higher the frequency, the lower the distance. The mmWave 5G will be in the 28-39GHz (or 30-300GHz, depending on who you ask) and the range would be about 500 meters - or about 1500 feet. They would pretty much need a mesh or MIMO arrangement with an antenna every couple blocks in a city.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Assume harmful unless proven otherwise.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Assume harmful unless proven otherwise.
    That was done. Though in general if there is no plausible mechanism of harm, we don't attribute the same level of risk to something. Radiation such as 5G microwave radiation isn't ionizing, so it cannot induce chemical changes in the body, so there's no plausible mechanism of harm.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    That was done.
    I simply don't trust initial studies, especially if not long-term or when there's a big push to introduce a technology.

Though in general if there is no plausible mechanism of harm, we don't attribute the same level of risk to something. Radiation such as 5G microwave radiation isn't ionizing, so it cannot induce chemical changes in the body, so there's no plausible mechanism of harm.
    That's a very poor general statement. UV is non-ionising but is known to cause chemical and biological changes. Visible light is non-ionising, but is obviously detected by the eye. This is common knowledge, so don't blindly repeat what's been told to you.
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 12-15-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    That's a very poor general statement. UV is non-ionising but is known to cause chemical and biological changes.
    UV is ionizing.