Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The New Baby It's Cold Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Baby It's Cold Outside

Is the new one really an improvement?

Link

----

Is the new one really an improvement on the original? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Yesterday, I heard about the new rendition of this old song by Kelly Clarkson and John Legend being released. Musically, they’re good singers. I can’t really comment much beyond that as I am not one with much of a taste for music. However, the idea was the old song was a creeper song. The girl is at the guy’s place. The guy is encouraging her to stay and well, the reason he wants her to stay is so he can have sex with her. Some went beyond that and called it rape, as if the woman will never play sly with a man and try to make him look like he’s seducing her when she’s really seducing him. Yes. Believe it or not, women can sometimes want to have sex themselves.

So here comes a new version meant to be an improvement. It’s meant to strike a blow against the patriarchy. I listened to it last night and then looked up the lyrics to clarify some matters, but as I listened, I thought, “This song is even worse than the other one is supposed to be.”

If in the old one, the guy was trying to get the girl to stay so she would have sex, this guy seems like he’s practically ready to hold open the door and throw the girl out. From the lyrics, he has taken her back to his own place and she has no car. Now today, if a guy takes a girl back to his place, well, we all know what that means.

So when she says she doesn’t want to stay, he’s calling her a cab immediately and even telling her the driver’s name. She talks about her parents and he’s thinking “What? You still live with them?”! (Did he possibly take a minor back to his place? If there is a minor, then why is she talking about drinking?) He even has a line in there at that point saying, “Your body. Your choice.”

Now of course, if any possible hint shows up that the girl could change her mind, he’s there to say how much he wants her. However, as soon as she’s ready to go, he’s ready to encourage her. The other version might have the guy trying to seduce the girl, which by the way is in many ways normal. Men even in marriage will often want to try to do anything to encourage the lady in their lives to have sex.

So what do I gather from this? That first off, if this is a blow against the patriarchy as it’s called, it’s a horrible one. Second though, it really shows me again that our culture is clueless when it comes to sex. We don’t know how to think about it. Perhaps some of us don’t understand the idea of a man and a woman dating with sex being off the table because it’s, you know, reserved for marriage.

Our culture doesn’t understand what sex is or the many purposes of it or why it should be reserved for marriage. Sex has been reduced to a recreational activity. Some people have said that our culture thinks too much about sex. This is false. It’s just the opposite. We think too little about it. Doing it, dreaming about it, watching it, and talking about it, does not equal thinking about it.

This is really a good chance for our Christian community to shine as well by doing marriage right. (Even though Shaunti Feldhahn exposed some myths about divorce, it is still way too common today even among Christians.) Doing marriage well is a service to God. Now I am not saying divorce is never an option. If you are in an abusive situation and there is no hope of change, get out.

Every marriage will also sometimes require hard work. This is normal and when the situation is worked out, the couple can very well be stronger than before. Part of that will be the proper understanding of sexuality.

The misunderstanding of sexual ethics is one thing that for those of us who live in America could very well lead to the breakdown of our society as it strikes at the heart of the family, the building block of society. People want to be loved and they want to have sex and there’s no sin in that. It’s how they are fulfilling those desires that is the problem.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Sad.

Comment

I must be really naive, because I've heard that song bunches of times, and always supposed the guy was just in love and didn't want his girlfriend to leave.

And when I've seen it performed, it was kinda shared "flirting", nothing forced.

I never went beyond that in my head.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is a sad commentary on our culture that offence is found in nothing and no offence is found in horrendous behaviour.

Seems like straining gnats and swallowing camels......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I must be really naive, because I've heard that song bunches of times, and always supposed the guy was just in love and didn't want his girlfriend to leave.

And when I've seen it performed, it was kinda shared "flirting", nothing forced.

As a woman, I've always found that song to be INCREDIBLY creepy.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            oh
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As a woman, it never bothered me at all.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Eh, I did wonder about the 'what's in this drink ' line but it is clear that he hasn't put anything bad in it from the rest of the song. And she is pretty obviously not wanting to go nearly as much as she claims. Actually she only talks about needing to go, never wanting to leave.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I wonder if that's a generational difference? I never found it particularly creepy, but I had also long know the songs origin and context and it really wasn't creepy at all. It seemed more innocent. It was written in 1944 as a parlor song for the composer to sing with his wife then sold for the movie "Neptune's Daughter."
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It took us something like six decades to figure out that the song wasn't about old-fashioned romance and seduction but was really all about date rape

We had a pretty good discussion about this last year when some radio stations announced they were banning the song.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      It took us something like six decades to figure out that the song wasn't about old-fashioned romance and seduction but was really all about date rape

We had a pretty good discussion about this last year when some radio stations announced they were banning the song.
                      Yeah, I thought I was having a deja vu all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                        I wonder if that's a generational difference? I never found it particularly creepy, but I had also long know the songs origin and context and it really wasn't creepy at all. It seemed more innocent. It was written in 1944 as a parlor song for the composer to sing with his wife then sold for the movie "Neptune's Daughter."
                        Back then, it was probably more innocent. But if those exact lyrics had been written more recently, you know what the guy would really be thinking. I guess I am interpreting it in more modern terms.

Comment

I've read that "what's in this drink?" was an idiom back then, basically saying that there was nothing strong in the drink.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'd also like to point out that back then, someone living at home with their parents was a minor. Adults did not live with their parents. So this girl clearly lives at home, which means she's underage, yet she's at this guy's house unchaperoned, smoking and drinking (or at least trying to drink, given KG's comment). Maybe I'm overthinking it but I've never liked this song.

Comment

I'd also like to point out that back then, someone living at home with their parents was a minor. Adults did not live with their parents. So this girl clearly lives at home, which means she's underage, yet she's at this guy's house unchaperoned, smoking and drinking (or at least trying to drink, given KG's comment). Maybe I'm overthinking it but I've never liked this song.
                              Actually it was still common for unmarried women to remain with their parents until they were married.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment