Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New Baby It's Cold Outside

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    It took us something like six decades to figure out that the song wasn't about old-fashioned romance and seduction but was really all about date rape

We had a pretty good discussion about this last year when some radio stations announced they were banning the song.
    Yeah, I thought I was having a deja vu all over again.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    I wonder if that's a generational difference? I never found it particularly creepy, but I had also long know the songs origin and context and it really wasn't creepy at all. It seemed more innocent. It was written in 1944 as a parlor song for the composer to sing with his wife then sold for the movie "Neptune's Daughter."
    Back then, it was probably more innocent. But if those exact lyrics had been written more recently, you know what the guy would really be thinking. I guess I am interpreting it in more modern terms.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've read that "what's in this drink?" was an idiom back then, basically saying that there was nothing strong in the drink.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'd also like to point out that back then, someone living at home with their parents was a minor. Adults did not live with their parents. So this girl clearly lives at home, which means she's underage, yet she's at this guy's house unchaperoned, smoking and drinking (or at least trying to drink, given KG's comment). Maybe I'm overthinking it but I've never liked this song.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I'd also like to point out that back then, someone living at home with their parents was a minor. Adults did not live with their parents. So this girl clearly lives at home, which means she's underage, yet she's at this guy's house unchaperoned, smoking and drinking (or at least trying to drink, given KG's comment). Maybe I'm overthinking it but I've never liked this song.
    Actually it was still common for unmarried women to remain with their parents until they were married.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    First, underage back then included was someone who was 20 -- not exactly a "minor."

Second, it was not uncommon at all for a young unmarried woman to still be living at home back then.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.