Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dying To Self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying To Self

The words "Dying to Self" and the concept have coming up in my readings recently. I realized I have at best an incomplete understanding of what the concept means. I certainly don't seem to have any experience with it.

When I think of the concept, the Bible verses that come to mind for me are:

Luke 9:23-26:
    "23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels."

Galatians 5:24: "24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Galatians 2:20: "20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

I know a part of the answer is I give up my desires. That answer to me is incomplete; that there is something more to this than just to death of self.

So I ask: What does "dying to self" mean to you and have you experienced it in your life?

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I've always wondered if it was related to "picking up the cross".

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      The words "Dying to Self" and the concept have coming up in my readings recently. I realized I have at best an incomplete understanding of what the concept means. I certainly don't seem to have any experience with it.

When I think of the concept, the Bible verses that come to mind for me are:

Luke 9:23-26:
      "23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels."

Galatians 5:24: "24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Galatians 2:20: "20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

I know a part of the answer is I give up my desires. That answer to me is incomplete; that there is something more to this than just to death of self.

So I ask: What does "dying to self" mean to you and have you experienced it in your life?

I think it is an aspect of sanctification/growth in grace/conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        I've always wondered if it was related to "picking up the cross".
        I'm sure it is related. My question is how is that lived out. I don't think Jesus meant for us to literally carry crosses about. So then what is the cross and how does one pick it up?
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
          I think it is an aspect of sanctification/growth in grace/conversion.
          I agree with you. I suggest it's an aspect that doesn't get much attention these days.

Comment

Not my will but Thy Will be done. Does this help?

Comment

I take it to mean that one no longer considers their own interests as their primary aim but those of God. This does not mean that we become insensible but that our priorities have changed. This is related to Paul's warnings against selfish ambition.

As for the actual meaning of "take up your cross", according to Craig Keener, interpreting it as anything other than an a literal reference to crucifixion is a misuse of Scripture. It indicates that one must be willing to die for Christ if need be.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I have a quote page on this! Here is a sample:

Trust Him to be the power to slay self. Hand self over to Christ and say, "Here is the culprit, Lord. I want you to still these throbbing pulses of passion, and let peace come instead. I cannot do it. But I give You the right to slay me in Your own way." The world says, "Look out for yourself"; but Jesus says, "Not I, but Christ." Not only must the old self be crucified, but the new man with all his strength and self-confidence, too, must die. Not only Ishmael must go out and be an outcast, but Isaac must be yielded and not hold up his head again. (A.B. Simpson)

As he grew older, he came to realize that he had to face up to temptation and defeat in his Christian walk. Perhaps his greatest weakness was his temper. He said to himself, "This won't do in a child of God," and he determined to meet God at every opportunity. Setting aside ten days, he presented his body a living sacrifice. He prayed, wept, soaked in the Word, and pleaded the promises. He faced up to the cross until he began to understand what Paul meant in Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me". This is how he described the experience to me: "God worked the old Wigglesworth-nature out and worked the new Jesus-nature in." (Smith Wigglesworth)

No one ever told me that being with God could be painful. But that has been my experience, to the extent that I have been to the cross, to that extent I have the love of God in my life.

"Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it." It is an echo that is felt to be left in the heart, in which linger sounds that ought to die away forever. It is a thread or cord-like connection between the soul and the world, although the two have drifted far apart. It is a middle ground, a strange medium upon which Satan can and does operate, to the inward distress of the child of God, whose heart at the same time is loyal to his Savior, and who feels that if he died even then he would be saved. Now that something I wanted out of me. What I desired was not the power of self-restraint, but a spirit naturally and unconsciously meek. Not so much a power to keep from all sin, but a deadness to sin. I wanted to be able to turn upon sin and the world the eye and ear and heart of a dead man. I wanted perfect love to God and man, and a perfect rest in my soul all the time. This "something" that prevented this life I laid on the altar, and asked God to consume it as by fire. (B. Carradine)

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                  Blessings,
                  Lee
                  It's so pretentious to sign your post with your own name.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    It's so pretentious to sign your post with your own name.
                    I think that's an unfair criticism in light of the fact that there was an organized movement on this board some years ago to sign messages in that way to increase civility.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

KingsGambit:
                      I think that's an unfair criticism in light of the fact that there was an organized movement on this board some years ago to sign messages in that way to increase civility.

Leonhard:
                      Yes, and one atheist took it to point to quote himself. Like this. Refusing to use the quoting system. It was ugly to look at and read. And he still insisted on doing it even when it was just a single-line of himself.

Sincerely, Leonhard.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                        Not my will but Thy Will be done. Does this help?
                        Thanks Esther. This is certainly another verse fits into the mix of understanding the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I take it to mean that one no longer considers their own interests as their primary aim but those of God. This does not mean that we become insensible but that our priorities have changed. This is related to Paul's warnings against selfish ambition.

As for the actual meaning of "take up your cross", according to Craig Keener, interpreting it as anything other than an a literal reference to crucifixion is a misuse of Scripture. It indicates that one must be willing to die for Christ if need be.
                          I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Craig Keener. I sort of get his point but could you expand on his interpretation a bit?

Comment