Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virtue signaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtue signaling

What is it? I see some conservatives use this phrase. So far all I know is that it applies exclusively to liberals, and involves them saying things that espouse a virtue.

What is the definition of it, and why is it bad if someone engages in it?

"Look how much more righteous I am than you are." Pretty simple. It used to be the Pharisees on the street corners and market places. Now it's the liberal progressive movement, especially nauseating with celebrities.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      "Look how much more righteous I am than you are." Pretty simple. It used to be the Pharisees on the street corners and market places. Now it's the liberal progressive movement, especially nauseating with celebrities.
      So, what a Christian father talking about how good his marriage is going is virtue signaling?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        What is it? I see some conservatives use this phrase. So far all I know is that it applies exclusively to liberals, and involves them saying things that espouse a virtue.

I don't know the definition, exactly, but I've seen it used in both directions; conservatives and liberals.

The fashion I've seen it used is (inferred) "You don't really have anything new to say. You are just 'signaling' to your tribe that you are aligned with them." Since it supposes to read a person's intent, I don't care for the term.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          I don't know the definition, exactly, but I've seen it used in both directions; conservatives and liberals.

The fashion I've seen it used is (inferred) "You don't really have anything new to say. You are just 'signaling' to your tribe that you are aligned with them." Since it supposes to read a person's intent, I don't care for the term.
          If that is all it is, then why is it bad? That’s very human. All groups do that all the time. You do that whenever you say anything your fellow “tribe” agrees with.

Comment

It's basically any action where the primary purpose is to signal to others how virtuous you are. Expressions of "white guilt", or lamentations about one's "male privilege" would be textbook examples.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think it also applies to, e.g., promoting "causes" on Facebook, while not really giving them any tangible support. I freely and ruefully admit doing this on occasion. It's easy to think, "Ok, I'll 'Share' this now, and donate later," and then never carry through.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

This is about me, isn't it?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If that is all it is, then why is it bad? That’s very human. All groups do that all the time. You do that whenever you say anything your fellow “tribe” agrees with.
                  I don't know that it is "bad", just not very useful.

At the board I used to frequent, there were a couple of posters who would chime into a debate only to applaud their tribe, or say the same thing someone else was already saying (only slightly differently). They were accused of virtue signaling. I suspected they simply weren't paying attention to what their tribe was saying, and not looking for approval. I know I have done this before; I tend to zero in on the person I am arguing with and not paying close attention to what like-minded members were posting.
                  Last edited by Ronson; 12-15-2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Here is the top-rated definition for it from Urban Dictionary:

"To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else."

That seems a good way to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Here is the top-rated definition for it from Urban Dictionary:

"To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else."

That seems a good way to put it.
                      That seems closer to the way it's commonly used today.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is sort of like a holier than thou situation.
                        sigpic

Comment

So, what a Christian father talking about how good his marriage is going is virtue signaling?
                          It's all about intent. If the primary intent is to demonstrate how good you are, it is virtue signalling. Calling it out counters that.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            It's all about intent. If the primary intent is to demonstrate how good you are, it is virtue signalling. Calling it out counters that.
                            What's even worse is a whole lot of celebrities do it solely to leverage the prestige they get for more public status. More public status = more profits. Corporations do this crap too... like Gillette lol.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              What's even worse is a whole lot of celebrities do it solely to leverage the prestige they get for more public status. More public status = more profits. Corporations do this crap too... like Gillette lol.
                              It's perfectly intelligible from an honour/shame perspective. People want to claim honour, and critics like me call them out for trying to accrue unmerited honour. It's a textbook example.
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment