Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virtue signaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's basically any action where the primary purpose is to signal to others how virtuous you are. Expressions of "white guilt", or lamentations about one's "male privilege" would be textbook examples.
    Moreover it appears that it doesn't really matter what you nearly as much as what your perceived motives are

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It's basically any action where the primary purpose is to signal to others how virtuous you are. Expressions of "white guilt", or lamentations about one's "male privilege" would be textbook examples.
      It is a term that also gets used to try to silence those that encourage others to do the right thing.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I've been accused of virtue signaling simply because I like to brag about what the Lord has done, or is doing.

Some will point out the "don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" precept, but that ignores Matthew 5:16 - In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

I think the determining factor is motive -- If you're only doing it to show how good you are, it's wrong. If you're doing it for the reason suggested in Matt 5 - shout it out.

I found this --- Twelve Examples of Virtue Signaling.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thank God I am more humble than you guys are.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            It is a term that also gets used to try to silence those that encourage others to do the right thing.
            No Jim, it is about taking a popular moral position when it costs you nothing. Like being for Gay marriage when it is favored and accepted by the majority. When supporting it causes no personal ramifications, yet you get to show how virtuous you are.
            Last edited by seer; 12-16-2019, 08:01 AM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              No Jim, it is about taking a popular moral position when it costs you nothing. Like being for Gay marriage when it is favored and accepted by the majority. When supporting it causes no personal ramifications, yet you get to show how virtuous you are.
              And exactly how can you tell the difference between that and a person that takes the stand because they actually believe it to be true?

As I said, as I have seen the term used, it is mostly just a way of denigrating those that try to do what is right.

A way of trying to force an even greater cost than already exists for such people.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Unfortunately that sometimes seems to be the case. I think one should be very, very careful when trying to justify claiming that others are just "virtue signaling".
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  Unfortunately that sometimes seems to be the case. I think one should be very, very careful when trying to justify claiming that others are just "virtue signaling".
                  Yeah.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And exactly how can you tell the difference between that and a person that takes the stand because they actually believe it to be true?

As I said, as I have seen the term used, it is mostly just a way of denigrating those that try to do what is right.

A way of trying to force an even greater cost than already exists for such people.
                    I think most people who jump on a popular bandwagon where there are no consequences (or possible consequences) to show what a good chap you are - are suspect. Going against the grain risking the wrath of the cancel culture would be noble. There is nothing virtuous about being a leftist student on College campuses today, there is with conservative students who speak up.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I think most people who jump on a popular bandwagon where there are no consequences (or possible consequences) to show what a good chap you are - are suspect. Going against the grain risking the wrath of the cancel culture would be noble. There is nothing virtuous about being a leftist student on College campuses today, there is with conservative students who speak up.
                      It sems you imply that one can only be noble if one goes against the flow. If that is not your point please explain why.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It sems you imply that one can only be noble if one goes against the flow. If that is not your point please explain why.
                        Well what is more noble in your mind? One who pushes against the popular culture (Like a MLK) or one who just goes along? Is the one parroting the popular line doing so because they deeply believe it, or because they are just cowards?

Comment

Well what is more noble in your mind? One who pushes against the popular culture (Like a MLK) or one who just goes along? Is the one parroting the popular line doing so because they deeply believe it, or because they are just cowards?
                          Again, goes to motive. If it's obviously "hey, look at me", or some variation of that, it's suspect. If your walk actually matches your talk -- that's different. If you're actually taking a risk in taking your stand, that kinda demonstrates good motives.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Again, goes to motive. If it's obviously "hey, look at me", or some variation of that, it's suspect. If your walk actually matches your talk -- that's different.
                            I just want to interrupt this thread to remind everyone how sensitive and woke I am.

Carry on.

Comment

Well what is more noble in your mind? One who pushes against the popular culture (Like a MLK) one one who just goes along? Is the one parroting the popular line doing so because they deeply believe it, or because they are just cowards?
                              You did not answer the question, seer.

And regarding your question: "Is the one parroting the popular line doing so because they deeply believe it, or because they are just cowards?" it seems you believe you can read the minds of others. I do not believe I can.

Have you noticed a rather absurd conclusion if one follows your line of reasoning? Since your criterion is based on whether something is "popular" or not what you define as "noble" will change as soon as it becomes popular meaning that fighting for conservative ideas and ideals would be less noble if they were more popular. You might want to reconsider that line of reasoning... Perhaps holding on to your ideas and ideals whether they are popular or not would make more sense?

Comment

You did not answer the question, seer.
                                I did answer Charles, I said why I would consider certain moral posturing suspect. Do I know for sure - no, of course not.

And regarding your question: "Is the one parroting the popular line doing so because they deeply believe it, or because they are just cowards?" it seems you believe you can read the minds of others. I do not believe I can.

Have you noticed a rather absurd conclusion if one follows your line of reasoning? Since your criterion is based on whether something is "popular" or not what you define as "noble" will change as soon as it becomes popular meaning that fighting for conservative ideas and ideals would be less noble if they were more popular. You might want to reconsider that line of reasoning... Perhaps holding on to your ideas and ideals whether they are popular or not would make more sense?
                                I would not see anything noble in following a common religion for instance. You may be sincere but again it cost you nothing. To me having the courage of your convictions in the face of opposition is what counts. Don't you agree?

Comment