Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do pilgrimages have an place in todays world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do pilgrimages have an place in todays world?

At one time pilgrimages held special significance, actually visiting, and praying, in a place with historical importance.

But today we have the internet, we can see a place from the comfort of our living room.

One group has been closed off from Bethlehem and Jerusalem, Gaza Christians. https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...erusalem-24532

Has anyone here ever visited Jerusalem?

I have been to Israel, and more specifically, Jerusalem, not so much as a "pilgrimage", but for the value of actually walking the ground I preach and teach about.

I plan on going back again.

As for Gaza Christians - it's not that they're not allowed to visit Bethlehem or Jerusalem - it's that they're not allowed to travel from Gaza --- blame Hamas.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I have been to Israel, and more specifically, Jerusalem, not so much as a "pilgrimage", but for the value of actually walking the ground I preach and teach about.

I plan on going back again.
      I've been to Israel on pilgrimage, and would love to go back again. Seeing a place from the internet pales into insignificance beside actually being there.
      As for Gaza Christians - it's not that they're not allowed to visit Bethlehem or Jerusalem - it's that they're not allowed to travel from Gaza --- blame Hamas.
      The article linked says differently - they can travel from Gaza, just not to Jerusalem or the West Bank.

(Also, one can get a Master of Arts in John Paul II Studies? )
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I've been to Israel on pilgrimage, and would love to go back again. Seeing a place from the internet pales into insignificance beside actually being there.

The article linked says differently - they can travel from Gaza, just not to Jerusalem or the West Bank.

(Also, one can get a Master of Arts in John Paul II Studies? )
        Did not know there was such a thing. But given the volume and depth of his work, I am not surprised. I think later generations will view him aa another Augustine or Aquinas.

Have you ever read any of his works?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Did not know there was such a thing. But given the volume and depth of his work, I am not surprised. I think later generations will view him aa another Augustine or Aquinas.

Have you ever read any of his works?
          I have his Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body on my bookshelf, waiting to be read.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X