Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trump jokes about congressman being in hell

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I see for his next trick, heís getting the left to defend serial sexual predator and avid racist, LBJ.
    Has anyone defended that aspect of LBJ's life?

Under what conditions does an historically important person's repugnant views define his legacy? When it comes to men such as Jefferson, should his views in race overshadow his views on political theory?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Has anyone defended that aspect of LBJ's life?

Under what conditions does an historically important person's repugnant views define his legacy? When it comes to men such as Jefferson, should his views in race overshadow his views on political theory?
    Try reading LBJís bio sometime. LBJ was quite a nasty piece of work that has quite a list of things he did. Just to name a few:

1. He sexually assaulted women in an elevator, on a regular bases, while being a member of congress.
    2. He regularly cheated on his wife, Lady Byrd.
    3. He regularly emotionally abused her.
    4. He had a buzzer installed in the WH, so he wouldnít get caught cheating on his wife again because she walked in on him with an intern once in a rather compromised position.

Interesting how democrats will defend a guy that did everything they accuse Trump of doing...

So why does LBJ get a pass? Is it because he was a democrat?
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-20-2020 at 08:32 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Try reading LBJís bio sometime. LBJ was quite a nasty piece of work that has quite a list of things he did. Just to name a few:

1. He sexually assaulted women in an elevator, on a regular bases, while being a member of congress.
    2. He regularly cheated on his wife, Lady Byrd.
    3. He regularly emotionally abused her.

Interesting how democrats will defend a guy that did everything they accuse Trump of doing...
    But is anyone defending LBJ's misogyny or his personal racism? There are some parts of LBJ's legacy which are worth defending. Just as there are parts of George Washington's legacy, Thomas Jefferson's legacy, or John Adams' legacy, worthy of defending without ignoring or white washing their failings.

Compare the defenses and excusing of Trump's behavior.

I invite posters to apply the defenses of Trump's misogyny or racism to LBJ's actions to see how those sound!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But is anyone defending LBJ's misogyny or his personal racism? There are some parts of LBJ's legacy which are worth defending. Just as there are parts of George Washington's legacy, Thomas Jefferson's legacy, or John Adams' legacy, worthy of defending without ignoring or white washing their failings.

Compare the defenses and excusing of Trump's behavior.

I invite posters to apply the defenses of Trump's misogyny or racism to LBJ's actions to see how those sound!
    Yet thatís how the left operates when it comes to all things Trump. You canít have it both ways, so take your pick... does legacy matter or does moral failings matter more?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yet thatís how the left operates when it comes to all things Trump. You canít have it both ways, so take your pick... does legacy matter or does moral failings matter more?
    I am referring to those that defend Trump and those which defend LBJ.

Your post which started this section of the discussion referred the defense.

I will ask again: Who is defending the actions of LBJ, and what are,the arguments or,excuses made?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's a good question for liberals considering the way they treat President Trump.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That's a good question for liberals considering the way they treat President Trump.
    But it seems to be conservatives who agree with the liberals, the sins do overshadow the legacy!

LBJ sinned, therefore his legacy is a bad one. MLK committed personal sins, and that overshadows his legacy. Jefferson had slaves so that overshadows his legacy. Washington sinned, therefore his legacy is a bad one.

It is possible for different and opposed groups to commit the same error.

8. Amen DivineOb amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I think you need to clarify. This was your reply to this question:

If I remember correctly you argue that Trump's view of race is not one to be concerned with at all, so in what way would his "views on race" overshadow anything?
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson