Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 S Mode

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I was actually able to "switch out of S mode" using the instructions here.

Now it's (they're) performing like a normal Win 10 PC! But you had to go through that very tedious setup crap to get to a place where you can actually use the durn thing.

All in all, for the price and purpose, it's well worth it.

These are cheap enough to deploy in Sunday School Rooms, or to issue to teachers for their lessons.
    A couple things sound bad about this S mode. First, the registry editing is disabled which means features can be fixed through normal diagnostic/service work. Then, the S mode can only be permanently deactivated -- you can't make a fix and then restore it to S mode.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    A couple things sound bad about this S mode. First, the registry editing is disabled which means features can be fixed through normal diagnostic/service work. Then, the S mode can only be permanently deactivated -- you can't make a fix and then restore it to S mode.
    Correct - the NOT Microsoft website I found first gave the instructions, with fair warning that you can't go BACK to S mode. On these computers, I mainly want Dropbox -- wouldn't even let me install that in S mode because it's not an official Microsoft Store App. On these computers, once I exit S mode, I don't ever need to go back. All I need on them is Powerpoint and Dropbox, though I did install Firefox, too, just because.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    and bible software?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    and bible software?
    That's why Firefox -- I use online stuff for that, including BlueletterBible.org, and some apologetics cites.

Trying to keep these computers pretty much like thin clients -- very little actual software or apps on them.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, I can buy a 55" flat screen for less than $200 - it doesn't have to be a smart TV - and must play powerpoints off the laptops. They are VERY lightweight and pretty small, so I'll probably keep them n the office and hand them out on an as needed basis.
    In the classrooms at my church, there is a projector on the ceiling and a pull down screen for them. I'm not sure what the price difference is between those and the screens you have, but something mounted on the ceiling is easier to keep track of.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    In the classrooms at my church, there is a projector on the ceiling and a pull down screen for them. I'm not sure what the price difference is between those and the screens you have, but something mounted on the ceiling is easier to keep track of.
    Yeah, a decent projector would be about $1,000 with any brightness and range, and the big screen TV was $196, and can be used alone, as it has all the smartTV features.

In one of our classrooms we do, indeed, have an overhead projector that projects onto a specially painted wall, and that works great for that setting.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, a decent projector would be about $1,000 with any brightness and range, and the big screen TV was $196, and can be used alone, as it has all the smartTV features.

In one of our classrooms we do, indeed, have an overhead projector that projects onto a specially painted wall, and that works great for that setting.
    Yeah, I have no idea how much they cost. One of our Sunday school teachers wanted one for his classroom, and he thought it wasn't fair for only his classroom to have one so he bought one for each (at least 4, maybe more). It's not something the church paid for.
    We do also have one (that I know of) big screen TV on a rolling stand that our class uses, since we are in a different building than the classrooms that have projectors.
    And then somehow we still have people using whiteboards. There are a few of those floating around.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.