Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 S Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 S Mode

I just bought a couple Leveno laptops on Amazon for my Church, to use with "message boards" -- just a big screen TV to display church information, announcements, etc in a slide show type format.

They came with Windows 10 S Mode. Basically, Windows 10 SECURITY --- locked down tighter than a drum, unable to run ANYTHING that doesn't come as a Windows App from the App Store.

I figured out how to "switch out" of S mode, but SHEEEEESH, you have to go through the whole idiotic "setup" process, including forcing you to have or get a Microsoft account, blah blah blah...

For example, you have to put in a birthdate, but to use my actual birthdate, you can't "scroll" to my birth year (60+ years ago), you just have to keep clicking the up arrow button until you eventually get there.

This is maddening --- AFTER you go through all that crap, THEN you can go to the Microsoft store, search for "switch out of S mode", enter your cell phone number, get a code, THEN go to an unlocked Windows mode that allows you to use Firefox, for example.

This is NUTS!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I liked the good ol' days when you could run software that you like and could share files with other people. Sort of the concept of a personal computer.

Comment

Probably difficult on purpose so not anyone can just get in and mess with your device.

Comment

Were these laptops sold specifically for secure deployments? Are they designed for protection in public areas?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          Were these laptops sold specifically for secure deployments? Are they designed for protection in public areas?
          I double checked the description on Amazon, and no.... they DID mention "Windows 10 S", but I hadn't heard of that, and there was no attempt to elaborate on it.

The Lenovo 130S Laptop is powered by Intel Celeron N4000 processor. The 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC flash memory are idea for mobile devices and applications, providing enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times and support for high-definition video playback. Classic 11.6" display with 1366 x 768 HD resolution and energy-efficient LED backlight.

• Intel Celeron N4000 1.1GHz up to 2.60GHz with 4M Cache, 4GB system memory for basic multitasking.
          • Typical 11.6” display with 1366 x 768 HD resolution. Energy-efficient LED backlight.
          • 64GB eMMC flash memory is ideal for mobile devices and applications. Intel UHD Graphics 600 provides image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming.
          • Office 365 Personal 1-Year Subscription Included. Get full, installed Office applications plus 1 TB of cloud storage.
          • Windows 10 in S Mode operating system gives you the easy, collaborative experiences, with access to the latest intelligent technologies.

See if it shows up properly from this link.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There is not much of a clue that this is a weird version of windows. I already have seen Windows 10 as having obnoxious features to it. I had to disable the new pop-up warning "this is not from the Windows App store, do you still want to install this app?"

I suppose this S Mode version would be good to use with kids who maybe need to be protected from loading unsafe software. Haha. I'm not sure that Windows itself is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              They came with Windows 10 S Mode. Basically, Windows 10 SECURITY --- locked down tighter than a drum, unable to run ANYTHING that doesn't come as a Windows App from the App Store.
              We bought a laptop for my niece for Christmas, and almost got one with Windows 10 S but ended up instead with a more powerful (though expensive) one with Windows 10 Home. I'm glad now that we got her the latter.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

There is not much of a clue that this is a weird version of windows. I already have seen Windows 10 as having obnoxious features to it. I had to disable the new pop-up warning "this is not from the Windows App store, do you still want to install this app?"

I suppose this S Mode version would be good to use with kids who maybe need to be protected from loading unsafe software. Haha. I'm not sure that Windows itself is safe.
                I was actually able to "switch out of S mode" using the instructions here.

Now it's (they're) performing like a normal Win 10 PC! But you had to go through that very tedious setup crap to get to a place where you can actually use the durn thing.

All in all, for the price and purpose, it's well worth it.

These are cheap enough to deploy in Sunday School Rooms, or to issue to teachers for their lessons.

Comment

Now it's (they're) performing like a normal Win 10 PC! But you had to go through that very tedious setup crap to get to a place where you can actually use the durn thing.

These are cheap enough to deploy in Sunday School Rooms, or to issue to teachers for their lessons.
                  Do you mount large monitors in the rooms and then just connect the laptop to those? The price is right but it sounds like some extra ones should be bought as backups.

Comment

Do you mount large monitors in the rooms and then just connect the laptop to those? The price is right but it sounds like some extra ones should be bought as backups.
                    Yes, I can buy a 55" flat screen for less than $200 - it doesn't have to be a smart TV - and must play powerpoints off the laptops. They are VERY lightweight and pretty small, so I'll probably keep them n the office and hand them out on an as needed basis.

Comment

A couple things sound bad about this S mode. First, the registry editing is disabled which means features can be fixed through normal diagnostic/service work. Then, the S mode can only be permanently deactivated -- you can't make a fix and then restore it to S mode.

Comment

A couple things sound bad about this S mode. First, the registry editing is disabled which means features can be fixed through normal diagnostic/service work. Then, the S mode can only be permanently deactivated -- you can't make a fix and then restore it to S mode.
                        Correct - the NOT Microsoft website I found first gave the instructions, with fair warning that you can't go BACK to S mode. On these computers, I mainly want Dropbox -- wouldn't even let me install that in S mode because it's not an official Microsoft Store App. On these computers, once I exit S mode, I don't ever need to go back. All I need on them is Powerpoint and Dropbox, though I did install Firefox, too, just because.

Comment

and bible software?

Comment

and bible software?
                            That's why Firefox -- I use online stuff for that, including BlueletterBible.org, and some apologetics cites.

Trying to keep these computers pretty much like thin clients -- very little actual software or apps on them.

Comment

Yes, I can buy a 55" flat screen for less than $200 - it doesn't have to be a smart TV - and must play powerpoints off the laptops. They are VERY lightweight and pretty small, so I'll probably keep them n the office and hand them out on an as needed basis.
                              In the classrooms at my church, there is a projector on the ceiling and a pull down screen for them. I'm not sure what the price difference is between those and the screens you have, but something mounted on the ceiling is easier to keep track of.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment