Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1533

Thread: Christianity Today Op Ed

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    We've trod this path before. I know what Jim means. He's made the distinction many times before.
    Your argumentation referenced a fully functional brain, which is not what I meant. So it would be logical to assume you didn't understand what I meant since you reply was based on something I clearly didn't mean.

So what drove an argument against my posts that was structured around an idea you knew I wasn't using?
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Your argumentation referenced a fully functional brain, which is not what I meant. So it would be logical to assume you didn't understand what I meant since you reply was based on something I clearly didn't mean.

So what drove an argument against my posts that was structured around an idea you knew I wasn't using?
    You refer to consciousness, which isn't a part of a non-functional brain.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, if I invent a microwave device that solely eradicates a fetus from its mother's womb, as long as it is under 2 months or so, I can walk around town zapping every woman I see, and should get in no trouble because I didn't kill a person?
    Oh you'd still be in a good bit of trouble, because even if the fetus is legally part of the mothers body and not a separate human being, YOU have no right to kill it. That would be assault. And further, that potential to be a human, that is not trivial - even though several of you seem to argue as if the fetus not yet a full fledged human being is worthless, which no-one is saying or would ever say. Very black and white, all or nothing sort of thinking. No, the potential to become a human person makes it the most valuable thing there is excepting a human person.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-24-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You refer to consciousness, which isn't a part of a non-functional brain.
    Non-functional and fully-functional are not by any means the only two options. After my cycling accident, my brain was not 'fully functional', but it was a very long way from non-functional. 'I' was still quite there, even though for a short time I was unconscious.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh you'd still be in a good bit of trouble, because even if the fetus is legally part of the mothers body and not a seperate human being, YOU have no right to kill it.
    Why not? It'd be like cutting grass. No brain = no person after all.

That would be assault.
    No it wouldn't. I didn't affect her body at all. She is still whole and intact. Same as before her pregnancy.

And further, that potential to be a human, that is not trivial - even though several of you seem to argue as if the fetus not yet a full fledged human being it is worthless, which no-one is saying or would ever say. Very black and white, all or nothing sort of thinking. No, the potential to become a human person makes it the most valuable thing there is excepting a human person.
    Sorry, but the "potential" argument has been discarded by Sam. I'm sorry, Jim. Life IS black and white. A human is a human from the moment of conception. EVERYTHING after that is simply specialization.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

6. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why not? It'd be like cutting grass. No brain = no person after all.
    When you feel like returning to some semblance of reasoned discussion, I'll be here.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When you feel like returning to some semblance of reasoned discussion, I'll be here.
    You haven't had a reasonable post thus far. Why stop now? I've discussed the actual biology of human growth and development and embryology, as has MM. You and Sam have gone off about "head in a jar", cartoons, and science fiction. I'll take the reasoned side of science over your unreasonable biological ignorance.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You haven't had a reasonable post thus far. Why stop now? I've discussed the actual biology of human growth and development and embryology, as has MM. You and Sam have gone off about "head in a jar", cartoons, and science fiction. I'll take the reasoned side of science over your unreasonable biological ignorance.
    And here I thought we'd had a reasoned discussion up to your last couple of taunts. Should I be more skeptical of your honesty in the future?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'll go back to ignoring your big pompous self.
    not sure how you got 'pompous' out of that, but then again maintaining any conversation with you is an exercise in walking on eggshells lest you become 'offended' in some way, so I'm not overly surprised.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You haven't had a reasonable post thus far..
    It's not him - its everybody else.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”