Page 144 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1533

Thread: Christianity Today Op Ed

  1. #1431
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,987
    Amen (Given)
    6100
    Amen (Received)
    7456
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I would say that just because aborting the fetus prior to it having conscious awareness does not make it right or good. This forming child will be a human person, of infinite worth and value, and stopping that process for trivial reasons is wrong.
    So it's the "potential" defense. Saying that it will have value implies that prior to consciousness, it has no value, and a pro-abortionist will happily accept that premise and knock the legs right out from under your argument.

    That's why I say that abortion is immoral not because of what the fetus will be but because of what it is from the moment of conception: an innocent human life.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  2. Amen Bill the Cat, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  3. #1432
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,282
    Amen (Given)
    499
    Amen (Received)
    1834
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Meh, even HuffPo cautions us about accepting "brain death" as a final and authoritative declaration of "it's over".

    Even Evolution News carries this story, and suggests further research is needed.

    Jahi McMath suffered catastrophic complications from throat surgery in December of 2013 — three and a half years ago.

    She was soon declared to be brain dead, and Oakland Children’s Hospital informed her mother, Nailah Winkfield, that life support would be terminated.

    Winkfield sued, but after an independent medical examination, the judge ruled that Jahi was deceased and allowed a death certificate to be issued. He also played Solomon, and worked out a settlement whereby Children’s Hospital transferred Jahi to her relatives while still on life support. She was moved to New Jersey, where she remains today.

    At the time, I believed Jahi was dead, and so wrote.

    But I also wrote that if she did not deteriorate, as almost all people with properly determined brain death do, my eyebrows would raise. Since then, Jahi has not deteriorated, but apparently, her body’s condition has improved. My eyebrows are above my hairline.
    They were not dead because the brain was still alive. This does not change the fact that without a brain, there is no person there. This just says we may think a brain is dead when it is not. And that may well factor into how early we can consider a fetus a person.

    But until there is a brain in there to start with, the argument is moot. There is no brain there. There is no person there.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  4. #1433
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,020
    Amen (Given)
    159
    Amen (Received)
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No, it is just a debate strategy with some abortionists like yourself who want to muddy the waters with various detached terms, so you don't have to admit that you are killing a human being.
    I'm pro-life and I'm pointing out matters that go directly to the constitutional limitations permissible on the issue of abortion and I definitely will not continue trying to explain important distinctions if you're going to falsely label me an "abortionist".

    --Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"


  5. #1434
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,282
    Amen (Given)
    499
    Amen (Received)
    1834
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So it's the "potential" defense. Saying that it will have value implies that prior to consciousness, it has no value, and a pro-abortionist will happily accept that premise and knock the legs right out from under your argument.

    That's why I say that abortion is immoral not because of what the fetus will be but because of what it is from the moment of conception: an innocent human life.
    You are only wrong in that what you are not really applying innocent correctly, so your premise is false.

    Innocence doesn't technically apply to that which is not conscious and has no capacity for consciousness. We can confer innocence on a rock if we want to. We can confer it on a fish too if we say being innocent just means never having done evil. But technically, it doesn't apply. Rocks and fish don't have the capacity to do wrong. Therefore they can't be innocent of wrong. Or conversely, you could reverse the logic say that the sort of innocence that applies to a zygote also applies just as well to a rock, or a fish.

    But the potential to become a human being - that doesn't exist in a rock or a fish. And THAT is why abortion is immoral, even if in the early stages it is not murder.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-23-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  6. #1435
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27575
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    They were not dead because the brain was still alive....


    First Things

    Last month, a thirteen-year-old girl named Jahi McMath entered Children’s Hospital Oakland for elective surgery to treat sleep apnea. She later suffered a catastrophic cardiac arrest, and was soon declared “brain dead.”

    Wesley J. SmithThe hospital told Jahi’s mother and extended family she had died and that they would turn off her ventilator. Her family protested. She was warm, they noted, and her heart was beating. To them, that meant she was still alive.

    The family went public, generating national headlines. Bitter litigation ensued. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo ultimately arm-twisted the parties into a settlement that released Jahi to her family—still on the ventilator—who removed her to an undisclosed location. They report she is now being nourished by a feeding tube.

    Jahi’s tragedy has caused much confusion about the legalities and ethics surrounding brain death, which is understandable, but a shame. Brain death, properly declared, indeed is death. “Brain dead” is simply the popular term for declaring death “by neurological criteria,” one of the two legal methods for determining the bona fide demise of a human being.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  7. #1436
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,282
    Amen (Given)
    499
    Amen (Received)
    1834
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post


    First Things

    Last month, a thirteen-year-old girl named Jahi McMath entered Children’s Hospital Oakland for elective surgery to treat sleep apnea. She later suffered a catastrophic cardiac arrest, and was soon declared “brain dead.”

    Wesley J. SmithThe hospital told Jahi’s mother and extended family she had died and that they would turn off her ventilator. Her family protested. She was warm, they noted, and her heart was beating. To them, that meant she was still alive.

    The family went public, generating national headlines. Bitter litigation ensued. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo ultimately arm-twisted the parties into a settlement that released Jahi to her family—still on the ventilator—who removed her to an undisclosed location. They report she is now being nourished by a feeding tube.

    Jahi’s tragedy has caused much confusion about the legalities and ethics surrounding brain death, which is understandable, but a shame. Brain death, properly declared, indeed is death. “Brain dead” is simply the popular term for declaring death “by neurological criteria,” one of the two legal methods for determining the bona fide demise of a human being.
    Are you accidentally missing the point, or on purpose?
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  8. #1437
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27575
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Are you accidentally missing the point, or on purpose?
    Just noting that science/medicine can be gravely wrong.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  9. #1438
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,090
    Amen (Given)
    1176
    Amen (Received)
    20616
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Meh, even HuffPo cautions us about accepting "brain death" as a final and authoritative declaration of "it's over".

    Even Evolution News carries this story, and suggests further research is needed.

    Jahi McMath suffered catastrophic complications from throat surgery in December of 2013 — three and a half years ago.

    She was soon declared to be brain dead, and Oakland Children’s Hospital informed her mother, Nailah Winkfield, that life support would be terminated.

    Winkfield sued, but after an independent medical examination, the judge ruled that Jahi was deceased and allowed a death certificate to be issued. He also played Solomon, and worked out a settlement whereby Children’s Hospital transferred Jahi to her relatives while still on life support. She was moved to New Jersey, where she remains today.

    At the time, I believed Jahi was dead, and so wrote.

    But I also wrote that if she did not deteriorate, as almost all people with properly determined brain death do, my eyebrows would raise. Since then, Jahi has not deteriorated, but apparently, her body’s condition has improved. My eyebrows are above my hairline.
    In a previous discussion I noted that some patients in deep comas can have even less brainwave activity than an unborn baby at about 7 weeks. The former virtually flat lines though some recover. The latter continues to grow and develop.

    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    "Meaningful life" is just claptrap that abortion supporter trot out to excuse their actions. Since brainwaves can pretty much flat line when someone enters the deepest type of coma (they "cannot process information or move in response to a stimulus") this means that you wouldn't consider them alive and euthanizing (killing) them is completely acceptable.

    Source: From the Deepest Coma, New Brain Activity Found


    When a patient's brain falls completely silent, and electrical recordings devices show a flat line, reflecting a lack of brain activity, doctors consider the patient to have reached the deepest stage of a coma. However, new findings suggest there can be a coma stage even deeper than this flat line — and that brain activity can ramp up again from this state.

    In the case of one patient in a drug-induced coma, and in subsequent experiments on cats, the researchers found that after deepening the coma by administering a higher dose of drugs, the silent brain started showing minimum but widespread neural activity across the brain, according to the study published today (Sept. 18) in the journal PLOS ONE.

    The findings were based on measures of the brain's electrical activity, detected by electroencephalography (EEG), which shows various waveforms. In comatose patients, depending on the stage of their coma, the waveforms are altered. As the coma deepens, the EEG device will eventually show a flat line instead of a wave – this stage is considered to be the turning point between a living brain and a deceased brain.

    "Flat line was the deepest known form of coma," said study researcher Florin Amzica, neurophysiologist at Université de Montréal.

    The new study shows "there's a deeper form of coma that goes beyond the flat line, and during this state of very deep coma, cortical activity revives," Amzica said. He noted the findings apply to patients in a medically induced coma with healthy brains that are receiving blood and oxygen. The conclusions may not extend to cases of comatose patients who have suffered major brain damage, he said.




    Source

    © Copyright Original Source


    In contrast, electroencephalograms have been detecting brainwaves as early as 6 to 6½ weeks since back in the mid-1950s and this has been confirmed multiple times since then. As Parents Magazine succinctly puts it in their series about the development of the baby at week 6 "brain waves can now be recorded."




    Hopefully, abortions will soon go the way of slavery but I'm afraid it's going to take Christ's return to put an end to this scourge.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  10. #1439
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,806
    Amen (Given)
    5228
    Amen (Received)
    22936
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Sparko - this is not a simple discussion and you can't reduce it to simple terms beyond a certain point. Sam is doing a good job of defining the necessary distinctions. A human person is more than just a few human cells. A zygote becomes a human person.

    Consider if the brain never forms in the developing zygote->fetus. A fetus without a brain is not a person legally or any other way. Yet you define it a person before it has that which is necessary for personhood! Would you then confer 'provisional personhood' on it, then take it away because of what never was? That is convoluted and irrational. Logically, the zygote can't be what it is not yet. And without a brain, it is not a person. No human body sans a brain is a human person. Take my brain out and you've killed me. My body is no longer a person. OTOH, given some future technology if you clone my body with everthing except the brain and then put my brain in there, now that new body is me! The person is in the brain for as long as the brain lives. No living brain in a body, no person.
    Actually no. I never said "person" - Sam did. I said "being" and said I meant it as "organism" - a separate and distinct organism. and in this case a HUMAN organism. Member of the Human Species.

    Person is a legal term. There is talk of conferring personhood to apes.

  11. #1440
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,282
    Amen (Given)
    499
    Amen (Received)
    1834
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just noting that science/medicine can be gravely wrong.
    They can be. But you can't be wrong about there being no consciousness in the fetus before it has a brain. Consciousness is in the brain. This is the real world, not Oz.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •