Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Well, that's not true but even if it were, the world's a big place and history is deep with repressive ideologies. Branch out, learn a few of 'em, and find a synonym for "violently repressive" that doesn't involve an inherent contradiction.

--Sam
    It's ironic. They are what they hate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      What, exactly, did I start?

Who, exactly, did I call a traitor?
      The fight.

Me. Oh, I did leave out that the post I responded to implies I'm a racist, too.

Do you really think you can toss insults wildly and not piss anyone off?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Raising business taxes won't result in higher wages - it'll do the opposite. If a business has to pay more in taxes, it will try to cut its largest expense - labor.
        That's what I meant when I said (was it in this thread?) that corporations don't pay taxes, they collect them. They simply pass the additional expense on to their employees and customers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No one denies Andy had a milkshake thrown at him

Brandon Farley, who is an associate of Andy Ngo and has worked with him, thinks the part where he got hit was staged. He notes that nobody who struck Ngo hit him in the face, but the back of the head, and that he didn't recognize the guy who did it and hasn't seen him since. He also noted it was weird for Andy to fly if he really sustained the injury he claimed.
          Look at the video that I provided the address to. It starts with one of the antifa thugs walking up and sucker punching him in the face. As I said your sources are about as trustworthy as you are.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Do you believe any of that rises to the level of shutting down polling sites, disenfranchising voters, or gerrymandering districts in order to ensure one party is heavily favored in every election?

--Sam
            Oh no! the whole "disenfranchising voters" thing! No, requiring ID is not disenfranchising anyone. And gerrymandering is a legal practice and both parties engage in it.

And yes, beating up people for wearing hats is worse. The democrats and liberals have gone nuts. They even held a kangaroo court to try to take down a sitting president after three years of trying. Riots, fire bombs, beating up conservatives. Accosting Republican government officials in restaurants and on the street. Trying to actually change the constitution to eliminate the electoral vote so a liberals in a few states can take every election and "disenfranchise" most of the states. Wake up Sam. The authoritarian nazis are the Democrats.

Comment

Do you believe any of that rises to the level of shutting down polling sites, disenfranchising voters, or gerrymandering districts in order to ensure one party is heavily favored in every election?

--Sam
              Both sides try gerrymandering. Where the Democrats are in power they do so with gusto. As for shutting down polling places that typically is done at a local level so if it is happening in places where the Democrats are the majority like urban areas then in nearly all cases you can thank Democrat officials for doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Recognize??? As with all of the cowardly Antifa, he was wearing a black hoodie and face mask.

And why would an associate of Ngo recognize some antifa member even if he wasn't masked?
                Huh? A black bandana isn't like Superman's glasses. It's not hard to tell people apart or recognize someone if you've been around for awhile and Farley goes to every single one of these events. The fact is that the guy who hit Ngo from behind was someone that Brandon hadn't seen around before and hasn't seen since. That's notable and it's notable that a person who runs in these circles is willing to say it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  The fight.

Me. Oh, I did leave out that the post I responded to implies I'm a racist, too.

Do you really think you can toss insults wildly and not piss anyone off?
                  Quote it

Eta:

If you can't disentangle the racist fools that put up those monuments during the civil rights eras from Southerners, in general, today, that is on *you*
                  Last edited by Jaecp; 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    That's what I meant when I said (was it in this thread?) that corporations don't pay taxes, they collect them. They simply pass the additional expense on to their employees and customers.
                    And corporations DO pay taxes. They pay property taxes, payroll taxes, unemployment taxes, capital gains taxes if they invest, telecommunications taxes, and a host of others. Saying corporations don't pay taxes is pure ignorance.

Payroll Taxes: Amazon employs hundreds of thousands of people making healthy wages. Amazon pays 6.2% of the value of each paycheck into Social Security, 1.45% into Medicare, and varying amounts into Federal and State unemployment funds.

Capital Gains: Amazon’s owners, the millions of shareholders, have seen appreciation in their investments over the past decade. As they sell their shares, they pay a capital gains tax of 15%. If the shares are held in an IRA or another non-tax advantaged account, the rate could be higher.

Sales Tax: At an average rate of 5%, which is probably an underestimation, $11.6 billion of sales tax was paid by Amazon on its $232 billion of revenue in 2018.

Federal Corporate Income Tax: $0 paid by Amazon. The company utilized tax deductions, like the deduction for research and development. It spent $22.6 billion in 2016, which was more than any other company in the world.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Huh? A black bandana isn't like Superman's glasses. It's not hard to tell people apart or recognize someone if you've been around for awhile and Farley goes to every single one of these events. The fact is that the guy who hit Ngo from behind was someone that Brandon hadn't seen around before and hasn't seen since. That's notable and it's notable that a person who runs in these circles is willing to say it.
                      LOL. the guy was there for a spit second.

Comment

A split second?

Sparky, these things last for hours.

You really don't have a good grasp on the logistics of these events

Comment

If you can't disentangle the racist fools that put up those monuments during the civil rights eras from Southerners, in general, today, that is on *you*
                          Honestly, hardly anyone cares who put them up any more. They are there, and the reason they are being assailed is who they are, not who put them there.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Which of course explains why antifa thugs sprayed one of their own after he lost the bandana covering his face. His fellow travelers couldn't recognize him without his face covered

Comment

If they admit to recognizing them then they're put into the position of having to turn one of their own in. So it's much easier to claim that you have no clue as to who the attacker was.

Comment

A split second?

Sparky, these things last for hours.

You really don't have a good grasp on the logistics of these events
                                Watch the video. The guy sucker punched Ngo then runs off into the crowd. He didn't hang around to be "recognized" through a mask and hoodie.

Where was Farley by the way? Is he in the video?

Comment