Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Welp, I'd say that probably does it for me; Comcast has been giving a lovely "bot network" false positive with a helpful number to call from a HTTP-injection Javascript file supposedly located somewhere on Comcast's domain. Of course, no one at the official Comcast support network knows about the number or understands what's going on but it's currently blocking me from using insecure HTTP sites (like TWeb).

And since I can hotspot on mobile from exactly one place in the house and this isn't really shaping up to be a useful experience, I will have to say goodbye until I can find someone at Comcast I can shake some sense into about injecting Javascript as a "security measure" or I can figure out what's infecting my router.

I may hotspot back in if LPoT cites the studies she's referencing. Always a sucker for those things.

Good health to all,

--Sam
    Ouch - hope it's fixed soon.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Wow. Your little vendetta thing runs deep. In each of the above cases there is a lengthy context of insults either to me or to others that precipitated the response. And post that get strong after an issue like the ones you've lifted here, I am always reluctant and sad to have been pushed to the point they were necessary.

But they do exist, and so a person like yourself can always twist them into something they are not, as you have done in this post.

Your issues with other posters are certainly not of your making alone; but likewise they are not of others making entirely either.

TWeb is a place where debate gets pretty 'robust' and 'direct', own your share in that. Plenty of times you've posted that people who don't support your political conclusions are morally failing, even in their duty to God. The clear implication is that they are sinning by not agreeing with your conclusions.

Your attacks on other posters render your complaints about their attacks on you hollow and even somewhat hypocritical. Holding up people to a Christian standard that you don't maintain yourself is not a way to get them to improve their behaviour, either. It's just an immature 'he said it first' when no-one really knows exactly who said what to whom first.

If it is wrong to post in the way you complain about, then it's wrong for you to do it too. So stop, or quit complaining. Call out people who you agree with politically when they cross that line, not just the ones you disagree with politically.

Or...

... live with what TWeb is, and accept your part in it.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        No matter what there will always be a few who fall between the cracks, who can't get an ID. But they are rare, not the norm. Making laws to accommodate the few at the risk of compromising our elections is foolish. As far as Technomage goes, he had periods where he was NOT homeless, had a house and a family and yet he couldn't get an ID then? How did he have a house? A bank account? Did he lose his ID and couldn't get another because he didn't have his birth certificate?

Most states already have voter ID requirements. Have for just about forever. I know my state does. Nobody complains about not being able to vote. In order to register to vote, you have to have an ID, and proof of residence. An actual address. So you can be placed in the correct district. Then you have to bring your ID to the polling place where they check it before giving you a ballot.
        I don't recall ever being asked to present ID in order to vote.

Apart from initially setting up my account at my pharmacy, I have also not been required to present ID to pick up prescriptions.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Wow. Your little vendetta thing runs deep. In each of the above cases there is a lengthy context of insults either to me or to others that precipitated the response. And post that get strong after an issue like the ones you've lifted here, I am always reluctant and sad to have been pushed to the point they were necessary.

But they do exist, and so a person like yourself can always twist them into something they are not, as you have done in this post.
          Its what she does

Back before I swore off this site 3 years ago the harassment and stalking behavior had gotten so bad that the mod staff actually banned her from coming to my threads. It was this whole deal.

The rules of this website have never been equally enforced and people have basically just kind of accepted that there are people like LPOT that are just kind of horrible to deal with and as a result of people being used to how bad they are whenever someone that's not part of the dominant group claps back then its seen as proof that you were always the same as them. Back when I was still in the Navy and started posting on this website during breaks from work I was obsessed with civility in debates. I'd ignore every insult and do my best to reply to the actual content of her posts and it was draining. One poster actually started going through her replies to me and using the strikethrough code on any sentences that were just insults without anything to do with the argument at hand and I'd be lucky to get more than a sentence in a paragraph that was actually on topic not full of insults or the like. I got called passive aggressive quite a bit.

Because the simple truth is that LPOT doesn't want you to be better

She just wants you to be down in the mud where she is! And she now has all the proof she'll ever need to be a jackass to you because, well, you were mean a couple times, right? You're not some pure, perfect little angel

So, well, you're fair game. Hell, look at the argumentation she's made about voter suppression. She lost that argument, making the exact points she brought up in this thread, like 6 years ago, in a months long thread on this very forum, but neither Sam nor myself started that thread so I can't easily find it. Sam and myself, painstakingly, along with other posters, sourced information, studies and more and more and more. She, like many people on this website, will eventually concede the point, but the next time the issue comes up its the same exact arguments and it just gets tedious after awhile. Before the crash, I'd actually bookmarked the times that, for example, Cow Poke said horrible things because I knew he'd deny ever having said anything nasty and demand immediate proof. LPOT would deny ever having lost an argument, or even claim to have won a prior discussion, unless there was immediate proof available.

After awhile, it just got really tiring and the benefit from posting on this website shrank and shrank and shrank

Its painfully obvious, coming back, that this is just a game to certain posters and they're not entering into good faith discussions. Folks like OBP, KG, and many more are, if they are posting, desiring to engage in good faith. Folks like Teal, anger issues nothwithstanding, usually are very very good in their first few replies. Folks like MM, CP, LPOT and a few others though? If you see them replying to someone thats their ideological opponent they're not acting in good faith.

I absolutely adore the idea of TWeb, I truly do.

But in execution?

Not so much

And, fwiw Bill, I appreciate the sentiment in that PM you sent me, but I can't stay. I've had a better chance building rapport with random strangers on twitter that make "pantifa" jokes and who have Mjolnir/Iron Cross combos in their twitter avatars (Odinism, the white supremacist version of the Norse religion Asatru) than on this website. The repetitiveness of an argument on twitter is easy enough to shut down, but here?

Ehhh

So, anyway Jim, best of luck tilting at windmills, you're a good dude :) TWeb is never gonna get better unless the mod staff gets more ideologically diverse and there is a commitment to creating a space where discussions can thrive because, as it stands now, you're not a participant, but the entertainment,

-J

Comment

• Gah,

So long as I'm reminiscing,

You know someone actually asked me to tell Sam on Facebook that he was sorry for some of the things he'd said on TWeb

And, like, I'm not going to violate that trust, but it was one of the moderators (a blue) and I'd never actually seen him be mean to Sam. The worst he got was, uhh, Leonard level snarky? Which is like, not mean at all?

Man, going through my old PMs are weird. I wish the limit was more than 150. I'm not the kind of person to obsessively archive these.

I do have my old discussions with Mossrose still saved, but I'd feel uncomfortable posting anything here and, well, the reason I'm posting this right here is for 2 reasons

1. This is largely for the benefit of Oxi
            2. I told myself I was going to stay in this thread

So if Mossy manages to read this and says it's fine then I might post screenshots from that discussion, but honestly thats more work than is neccessary

The big thing is that I want everyone to look at my signup date. I'd been busy running a political campaign and then a political satire website when the site crashed and kind of forgot about it for a while and I don't know what prompted me to come back then

And within the span of a single post, on my first thread, some 18ish months or more since I imagine she'd thought of me. In her first reply to me, she opened with "Several years later and you still make basic mistakes."

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post194270

Thankfully, she quoted my OP so you can read it all in one chunk nice and easy. Its the 5th page of a thread where multiple good conversations are being had. You know, reading this again, hot damn KingsGambit I've missed talking with you. You, Spartacus and a few other people I really enjoyed talking to in my time here, to borrow twitter slang the ratio was unreal.

Man, I know this is just gonna look like a rant to yall but remember that idiot jackass paprika? Some eastern european typing guy that was super disruptive on the site. I'm reading through Crystals (she hasn't banned the use of her name since I've been gone, right?) old thread started to complain that I didn't want someone who is mean constantly to be in my threads that this moderator brought up how I'd quickly banned paprika from my thread, after 8 posts, but he was enough of pain in the butt that he was banned about 2 weeks after that thread about me being ban happy and, with age and wisdom, I think I know I why

The reason that I had a ping on this guy before the mod staff is because TWeb is a much nicer place if you're a conservative christian.

There are simply a handful of people around here who could be compared to a hockey goons as far as their personality is concerned who come in with misrepresentations so obvious its boring and they post a TON more than the people who write thoughtful, introspective posts where folks can really dive into a mutual understanding and try to figure out new stuff together even as they hold different viewpoints. Made worse in that some of them used to be moderators so you couldnt even block em! These old PMs from here were so weird too.

Just too bad, because I really love the idea of this place, but the execution is lacking

edit: Oi, still looking through my old PMs and this is a doozy and, like, if this is what she thinks about me then its probably what she think about you or something close to it.

pixie pm.jpg

This is just plain weird. Like, they're all pretty weird, full of projection and argumentation and flat out calling me a liar but I didnt notice till just reading this that her reflexive need to contradict everything I say means that the target of " I already know you'll believe anything that makes me look like pure evil" is Mossrose's part. At the time it must have just sounded like the usual anger

Also it seems my screenshot didnt work? thats odd. The key parts are

Originally posted by lpot
            I already know you'll believe anything that makes me look like pure evil, so telling you the truth is a waste of time because I'm the most evil person that exist because I see you for what you truly are; a hate fill, anti-Christian troll, that hates Christians, Christianity, and anybody who dares to disagree with him. So anybody that sees though your facade, must be a jackass. That's the only answer (even though every post I posted was right on topic and you have presented zero evidence that contradicts the actual evidence I presented, but again, I'm the evil incarnate so I must have made it all up because anything that makes you look bad, must be untrue).
            Last edited by Jaecp; 01-10-2020, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Welp, I'd say that probably does it for me; Comcast has been giving a lovely "bot network" false positive with a helpful number to call from a HTTP-injection Javascript file supposedly located somewhere on Comcast's domain. Of course, no one at the official Comcast support network knows about the number or understands what's going on but it's currently blocking me from using insecure HTTP sites (like TWeb).

And since I can hotspot on mobile from exactly one place in the house and this isn't really shaping up to be a useful experience, I will have to say goodbye until I can find someone at Comcast I can shake some sense into about injecting Javascript as a "security measure" or I can figure out what's infecting my router.

I may hotspot back in if LPoT cites the studies she's referencing. Always a sucker for those things.

Good health to all,

--Sam
              Comcast sucks plain and simple. Their "customer service" has been used by various companies as an example of what NOT to do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                I don't recall ever being asked to present ID in order to vote.

Apart from initially setting up my account at my pharmacy, I have also not been required to present ID to pick up prescriptions.
                I'm asked every time I vote but since the pharmacist knows me by name (been going there for over 20 years) and all I get is blood pressure medicine they don't ask for ID except when I got pain medicine after a hernia operation and after the roll-over car wreck I was in just before my birthday last year.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  Gah,

So long as I'm reminiscing,

You know someone actually asked me to tell Sam on Facebook that he was sorry for some of the things he'd said on TWeb

And, like, I'm not going to violate that trust, but it was one of the moderators (a blue) and I'd never actually seen him be mean to Sam. The worst he got was, uhh, Leonard level snarky? Which is like, not mean at all?

Man, going through my old PMs are weird. I wish the limit was more than 150. I'm not the kind of person to obsessively archive these.

I do have my old discussions with Mossrose still saved, but I'd feel uncomfortable posting anything here and, well, the reason I'm posting this right here is for 2 reasons

1. This is largely for the benefit of Oxi
                  2. I told myself I was going to stay in this thread

So if Mossy manages to read this and says it's fine then I might post screenshots from that discussion, but honestly thats more work than is neccessary

The big thing is that I want everyone to look at my signup date. I'd been busy running a political campaign and then a political satire website when the site crashed and kind of forgot about it for a while and I don't know what prompted me to come back then

And within the span of a single post, on my first thread, some 18ish months or more since I imagine she'd thought of me. In her first reply to me, she opened with "Several years later and you still make basic mistakes."

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post194270

Thankfully, she quoted my OP so you can read it all in one chunk nice and easy. Its the 5th page of a thread where multiple good conversations are being had. You know, reading this again, hot damn KingsGambit I've missed talking with you. You, Spartacus and a few other people I really enjoyed talking to in my time here, to borrow twitter slang the ratio was unreal.

Man, I know this is just gonna look like a rant to yall but remember that idiot jackass paprika? Some eastern european typing guy that was super disruptive on the site. I'm reading through Crystals (she hasn't banned the use of her name since I've been gone, right?) old thread started to complain that I didn't want someone who is mean constantly to be in my threads that this moderator brought up how I'd quickly banned paprika from my thread, after 8 posts, but he was enough of pain in the butt that he was banned about 2 weeks after that thread about me being ban happy and, with age and wisdom, I think I know I why

The reason that I had a ping on this guy before the mod staff is because TWeb is a much nicer place if you're a conservative christian.

There are simply a handful of people around here who could be compared to a hockey goons as far as their personality is concerned who come in with misrepresentations so obvious its boring and they post a TON more than the people who write thoughtful, introspective posts where folks can really dive into a mutual understanding and try to figure out new stuff together even as they hold different viewpoints. Made worse in that some of them used to be moderators so you couldnt even block em! These old PMs from here were so weird too.

Just too bad, because I really love the idea of this place, but the execution is lacking

edit: Oi, still looking through my old PMs and this is a doozy and, like, if this is what she thinks about me then its probably what she think about you or something close to it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41982[/ATTACH]

This is just plain weird. Like, they're all pretty weird, full of projection and argumentation and flat out calling me a liar but I didnt notice till just reading this that her reflexive need to contradict everything I say means that the target of " I already know you'll believe anything that makes me look like pure evil" is Mossrose's part. At the time it must have just sounded like the usual anger

Also it seems my screenshot didnt work? thats odd. The key parts are
                  I sincerely feel for anyone foolish enough to let you run their political campaign. They must have been broke and desperate.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I sincerely feel for anyone foolish enough to let you run their political campaign. They must have been broke and desperate.
                    Cant you at least make the insults creative?

Comment

Cant you at least make the insults creative?
                      Truth may be insulting but it isn't an insult.

Comment

Vendetta? This took a few minutes to glance through your latest post and finding everything above, for just the past week. The links are there for anyone to go back and read to see for themselves. You roll around in the mud than you have the guts to attack anyone that is willing to do the same.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Its what she does

Back before I swore off this site 3 years ago the harassment and stalking behavior had gotten so bad that the mod staff actually banned her from coming to my threads. It was this whole deal.

The rules of this website have never been equally enforced and people have basically just kind of accepted that there are people like LPOT that are just kind of horrible to deal with and as a result of people being used to how bad they are whenever someone that's not part of the dominant group claps back then its seen as proof that you were always the same as them. Back when I was still in the Navy and started posting on this website during breaks from work I was obsessed with civility in debates. I'd ignore every insult and do my best to reply to the actual content of her posts and it was draining. One poster actually started going through her replies to me and using the strikethrough code on any sentences that were just insults without anything to do with the argument at hand and I'd be lucky to get more than a sentence in a paragraph that was actually on topic not full of insults or the like. I got called passive aggressive quite a bit.

Because the simple truth is that LPOT doesn't want you to be better

She just wants you to be down in the mud where she is! And she now has all the proof she'll ever need to be a jackass to you because, well, you were mean a couple times, right? You're not some pure, perfect little angel

So, well, you're fair game. Hell, look at the argumentation she's made about voter suppression. She lost that argument, making the exact points she brought up in this thread, like 6 years ago, in a months long thread on this very forum, but neither Sam nor myself started that thread so I can't easily find it. Sam and myself, painstakingly, along with other posters, sourced information, studies and more and more and more. She, like many people on this website, will eventually concede the point, but the next time the issue comes up its the same exact arguments and it just gets tedious after awhile. Before the crash, I'd actually bookmarked the times that, for example, Cow Poke said horrible things because I knew he'd deny ever having said anything nasty and demand immediate proof. LPOT would deny ever having lost an argument, or even claim to have won a prior discussion, unless there was immediate proof available.

After awhile, it just got really tiring and the benefit from posting on this website shrank and shrank and shrank

Its painfully obvious, coming back, that this is just a game to certain posters and they're not entering into good faith discussions. Folks like OBP, KG, and many more are, if they are posting, desiring to engage in good faith. Folks like Teal, anger issues nothwithstanding, usually are very very good in their first few replies. Folks like MM, CP, LPOT and a few others though? If you see them replying to someone thats their ideological opponent they're not acting in good faith.

I absolutely adore the idea of TWeb, I truly do.

But in execution?

Not so much

And, fwiw Bill, I appreciate the sentiment in that PM you sent me, but I can't stay. I've had a better chance building rapport with random strangers on twitter that make "pantifa" jokes and who have Mjolnir/Iron Cross combos in their twitter avatars (Odinism, the white supremacist version of the Norse religion Asatru) than on this website. The repetitiveness of an argument on twitter is easy enough to shut down, but here?

Ehhh

So, anyway Jim, best of luck tilting at windmills, you're a good dude :) TWeb is never gonna get better unless the mod staff gets more ideologically diverse and there is a commitment to creating a space where discussions can thrive because, as it stands now, you're not a participant, but the entertainment,

-J

Dang, accusing me of being obsessed while crying about things that happened 6-10+ years ago? Wow, so what I said about you is true. I should have ignored you completely all those years ago because you are clearly mentally imbalanced and have an obsession with anyone that crosses you. How sad, to be stuck obsessing over things that happened over a decade ago that most people have forgotten and moved on from.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-10-2020, 06:20 AM.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think it’s funny that he accuses me of being obsessed while bringing up things that happened over 6 years ago, to prove his point. He is proving my point and not even getting that he is!
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Vendetta? This took a few minutes to glance through your latest post and finding everything above, for just the past week. The links are there for anyone to go back and read to see for themselves. You roll around in the mud than you have the guts to attack anyone that is willing to do the same.
                              Yes, and unlike the posts you try to equate them to, each one of those posts is an appeal to the conscience of the person they addressed to move away from the constant attacks that characterize this site and aim for something better. They are not rants against individuals because I am angry or feel picked on, they are saying you all are better than this, we can all be better than this.

And you can be better than to not recognize the difference between that and the content of the posts those replies are pushing back against
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I think you just made his point ....
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment