Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Buttigieg's lifestyle and rhetoric are far more in line with Scriptural themes than most of the pro-Trump Christians I see talkin' here and elsewhere. If your metric for anti-Scriptural behavior goes to "is gay" rather than "is cruel", it's your heart that needs realignment toward the Christian God.

--Sam
    I see Buddy Christ has once again risen from the dead.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Buttigieg's lifestyle and rhetoric are far more in line with Scriptural themes than most of the pro-Trump Christians I see talkin' here and elsewhere. If your metric for anti-Scriptural behavior goes to "is gay" rather than "is cruel", it's your heart that needs realignment toward the Christian God.

--Sam
      Another one teaching that Jesus was a cream puff

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• You have lost the Gospel, and a basic understanding of cruelty, if you're misunderstanding Christ's nature so deeply. To the proud and haughty -- those who would use religion and power to grind down the meek and marginalized -- Christ was acerbic when needed.

But He was never cruel, nor was He dismissive of the poor, the helpless, or the stranger.

Folks have become far too accustomed to using Christ as a weapon -- as their weapon. He's not. People align with what He valued or they align against it ... and that values alignment rarely delineates cleanly between the "saved" and the "damned".

But, that's enough proselytizing. We know what the fruits of the Spirit are and we can see who exhibits them. We can compare public figures with how they stack up and look at just who Christians here support and attack, understanding their value system in the process.

The sheep and the goats will sort themselves.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Yup. "Creampuff Christ"

You are creating a god in your own image and rejecting the one in Scripture.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Yup. "Creampuff Christ"

You are creating a god in your own image and rejecting the one in Scripture.
            I'll answer to mine and you'll answer to the same.

It's funny, though -- in my church conference, at least, the same people who who excoriate gay couples as anti-Scriptural have no concern about those who have remarried, even numerous times. Many don't have any real problem, in practice, with couples who never get formally married and live as boyfriend/girlfriend.

It used to make me wonder. It doesn't anymore. A man like Trump or Pence can get away with serial philandering or tearing children away from their parents and receive high praise; it was never, in the end, actually about Christ.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

--Sam
              Calm yourself, brother - you're doing that spiritual grandstand thing again, and mixing a bunch of stuff up.

Buttigieg is openly defiant to the Scripture's teaching against homosexual relationships. That he does "good stuff" is a good thing, but it doesn't justify his perversion of Scripture.
              Plus, he's pro-abortion, but too squishy to come out and admit it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                I knew someone would go for the ad hominem.
                At least, that's what you were hoping, because it's what you live for.

If only you had the arguments to prove him wrong you would probably do so instead of pointing fingers at the person.
                Why do you have to be such a phony, Charles? Scriptures proves him wrong. He has opted to violate the scripture regarding his homosexual relationship and his pro-abortion activism (such as it is).

I know I have made this point many times but that is because some of you seem to be rather stuck in the ad hominem trap, so blame yourself if you find it tiresome.
                It's been done over and over, Charles - you'll just ignore Scripture, or see your own interpretation of it, or find some way to justify his lifestyle.

Here is your new chance: Show why what he says is wrong. If you cannot I am not interested in hearing more personal attacks.
                I'm not really interested in your whiny little complaints about "personal attacks", Charles -- you will always find a way to be offended.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

--Sam
                  But that won't stop you from stepping in and doing it yourself.

Comment

So it is cynical to quote the Bible when the weak, the hungry and the stranger are treated in inhuman ways?
                    It's actually much better to actually do it than blog about it or appoint yourself as the unofficial Nanny of Tweb to judge others.
                    And if you're going to quote the Bible - try doing what it says regarding repentance, Charles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Calm yourself, brother - you're doing that spiritual grandstand thing again, and mixing a bunch of stuff up.

Buttigieg is openly defiant to the Scripture's teaching against homosexual relationships. That he does "good stuff" is a good thing, but it doesn't justify his perversion of Scripture.
                      Plus, he's pro-abortion, but too squishy to come out and admit it.
                      Your implication was that Buttigieg doesn't have a legitimate voice concerning scriptural matters because of his homosexuality. But you're not going to apply that same standard to anyone here who has shown themselves to be cruel or uncharitable or supportive of oppression against the poor or the stranger.

You've created a system, in other words, where the gnat is strained and the camel is swallowed -- where cruelty is accepted into the fold and impurity (but only -some- impurities) is cast out.

And I would argue that is an inverted function of Gospel.

--Sam

Comment

Your implication was that Buttigieg doesn't have a legitimate voice concerning scriptural matters because of his homosexuality.
                        That may have been your inference, Sam, but it was not my implication.

But you're not going to apply that same standard to anyone here who has shown themselves to be cruel or uncharitable or supportive of oppression against the poor or the stranger.
                        That's a whole lot of assumin' you got going on there, brother. You're ASSUMING that somebody who voted for Trump did so, what... believing that Trump is actually actively setting up polices whose primary purpose was to be cruel to the poor or stranger?

You've created a system, in other words, where the gnat is strained and the camel is swallowed -- where cruelty is accepted into the fold and impurity (but only -some- impurities) is cast out.
                        No, actually I have not. That's your judgmental little "I'm more spiritual than everybody else here" attitude.

And I would argue that is an inverted function of Gospel.

--Sam
                        Lemme hit you with a fundamental of the Gospel you seem to keep ignoring in your sanctimony, Sam.

Jesus said,

Scripture Verse: Matthew 16

25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

© Copyright Original Source

The Gospel begins with repentance and salvation. WITHOUT repentance and salvation, you can give all the peanut butter sandwiches, warm blankets, milk, clothing..... without Jesus, they're still dying and going to hell. THAT, sir, is cruelty.

My ministry EVERY WEEK is about feeding the poor, helping them find jobs, teaching and encouraging --- but above all, it's about helping them find Jesus as Savior.

Comment

So it is cynical to quote the Bible when the weak, the hungry and the stranger are treated in inhuman ways?
                          As I recently noted in another thread
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And before you respond keep in mind that I contribute to charities (I use money orders so I don't incessantly get hounded for more), have worked feeding the hungry (spent more than one Thanksgiving working with Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry) and helped set up for the local Muscular Dystrophy Association during the telethons as well as contributed money to my church to assist a wide variety of causes.

So tell us, what have you ever done except act like a cry bully?

Comment

You have lost the Gospel, and a basic understanding of cruelty, if you're misunderstanding Christ's nature so deeply. To the proud and haughty -- those who would use religion and power to grind down the meek and marginalized -- Christ was acerbic when needed.

But He was never cruel, nor was He dismissive of the poor, the helpless, or the stranger.

Folks have become far too accustomed to using Christ as a weapon -- as their weapon. He's not. People align with what He valued or they align against it ... and that values alignment rarely delineates cleanly between the "saved" and the "damned".

But, that's enough proselytizing. We know what the fruits of the Spirit are and we can see who exhibits them. We can compare public figures with how they stack up and look at just who Christians here support and attack, understanding their value system in the process.

--Sam
                            Seems like you are busy projecting when you talk about the proud and the haughty.

And please do tell, explain how Buttigeg qualifies as the "poor, the helpless, or the stranger." His six figure salary makes him one of the highest paid mayors in Indiana. While that doesn't make him "rich" he is anything but poor. As for helpless, as a mayor he wields a great deal of power. And "stranger"... I don't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Seems like you are busy projecting when you talk about the proud and the haughty.

And please do tell, explain how Buttigeg qualifies as the "poor, the helpless, or the stranger." His six figure salary makes him one of the highest paid mayors in Indiana. While that doesn't make him "rich" he is anything but poor. As for helpless, as a mayor he wields a great deal of power. And "stranger"... I don't see it.
                              I think he means Saint Pete's advocacy (such as it is) for taking care of "the poor, the helpless, or the stranger" with tax payer money, which, of course, is NOT a Gospel imperative.

I see that as a command to the followers of Christ, and I try respond accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I think he means Saint Pete's advocacy (such as it is) for taking care of "the poor, the helpless, or the stranger" with tax payer money, which, of course, is NOT a Gospel imperative.

I see that as a command to the followers of Christ, and I try respond accordingly.
                                Jesus was speaking to His followers - or to His detractors about how His followers should conduct themselves...
                                • Luke 6:20-21 - Then he looked up at his disciples and said: ‘Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.’
                                • Luke 4:16-19 - When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written: ‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.’
                                • Matthew 25:34-36 - Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’
                                • Mark 10:21-22 - Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.
                                • Mark 12:41-44 - He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, ‘Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.’
                                • Luke 14:12-14 - He said also to the one who had invited him, ‘When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.’
                                • Luke 16:19-25 - There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich man’s table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried.
                                • Luke 11:39-42 - Then the Lord said to him, ‘Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? So give for alms those things that are within; and see, everything will be clean for you. But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and herbs of all kinds, and neglect justice and the love of God.’
                                • Luke 12:16-21 - Then he told them a parable: ‘The land of a rich man produced abundantly. And he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?’ Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.’

Where is the mandate that we institute (or require) a government to do these things?

Comment