Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate
    Last edited by Jaecp; 01-07-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Generic caloric restriction with increased time on the erg. Reclaiming my jawline before it goes missing.

Current schedule is good for 16-hour intermittent fasting so I might try that out, too.

--Sam
      Chrismas is a hell of a drug, eh? You look fine, imho, although do whatever you need to! I've never tried the fasting thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
        lol
        I would go dig up the news stories again, and post the photos but you already know about them. We discussed this before.

So do you wear a mask when you are out punching Nazis, Jaecp?

ETA - Oh heck, why not.

Here are some of the instances of Antifa violence:

Ann Coulter
        https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...rity-concerns/

Discussing how the internet brought down a violent Antifa member:
        http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ghlight=antifa

Man attacked for not condemning Nazis hard enough:
        https://bigleaguepolitics.com/man-st...s-hard-enough/

Unmasking the leftist Antifa Movement:
        https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/18/u...eft/index.html

Antifa at the Boston Free Speech Rally attacking police, elderly women
        https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-b...rter-overwhelm

Comment

Do you even know how many children have died in the camps along out border? When was the last time you even thought about that?

You're on the wrong side of things man, come over to me and Sam, we have cookies and a clean conscience.
          Do you know how many children have been butchered in abortion clinics?
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Yes,

Zero

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I would go dig up the news stories again, and post the photos but you already know about them. We discussed this before.

So do you wear a mask when you are out punching Nazis, Jaecp?

ETA - Oh heck, why not.

Here are some of the instances of Antifa violence:

Ann Coulter
              https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...rity-concerns/

Discussing how the internet brought down a violent Antifa member:
              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ghlight=antifa

Man attacked for not condemning Nazis hard enough:
              https://bigleaguepolitics.com/man-st...s-hard-enough/

Unmasking the leftist Antifa Movement:
              https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/18/u...eft/index.html

Antifa at the Boston Free Speech Rally attacking police, elderly women
              https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-b...rter-overwhelm
              Lol

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/di...b-vermont-man/

Comment

• But, so long as you guys are trying to make me giggle,

This stories pretty funny

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...do-joshua-witt

Comment

The logical application, given the premise, would be that one should be strongly against children dying in abortion clinics or in border camps. And given the infinitely-larger propensity for suffering among the latter, one should be more animated about children dying in border camps than in abortion clinics.

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• "unproven" doesn't mean false and that is only ONE of dozens of incidents of Antifa violence. But hey you probably know all about it, being in Antifa and all. You use your fist, or throw rocks?

Comment

If you are somewhere with a purpose that you are committed to, persevering there DESPITE people who are there for a different reason (and yes their reasons were different despite you and Sam's mistaken "similar nature" claims) is quite courageous.
                      IT does get complicated. Part of the problem is you are searching for some sort one answer fits all situations sort of summation of why this was a good or a bad thing, and that just doesn't work.

It might sometimes be ok for a Christian to go to certain kinds of parties for the opportunity to share the gospel or be a positive influence on people.

But its not likely ok if that party is an orgy.

Indeed, I'd probably say it would almost never be ok for a Christian to attend an orgy in the hopes of winning souls. (someone here could probably concoct some contrary position just so they could say I was wrong)

Charlottesville, when it comes to Nazi/White Nationalist activity sorta drops into 'the party that is an orgy' category. Whatever good intent some other group may have had that motivated them to show up at first simply can't be maintained with them there shouting their obscenities about Jews and blacks etc. In fact, If you want to maintain some sort of legitimacy for your group, once that sort of thing is happening, it is time for your group to take a stand of its own and either join the forces opposing them, or leave.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-07-2020, 02:41 PM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        IT does get complicated. Part of the problem is you are searching for some sort one answer fits all situations sort of summation of why this was a good or a bad thing, and that just doesn't work.

It might sometimes be ok for a Christian to go to certain kinds of parties for the opportunity to share the gospel or be a positive influence on people.

But its not likely ok if that party is an orgy.

Indeed, I'd probably say it would almost never be ok for a Christian to attend an orgy in the hopes of winning souls. (someone here could probably concoct some contrary position just so they could say I was wrong)

Charlottesville, when it comes to Nazi/White Nationalist activity sorta drops into 'the party that is an orgy' category. Whatever good intent some other group may have had that motivated them to show up at first simply can't be maintained with them there shouting their obscenities about Jews and blacks etc. In fact, If you want to maintain some sort of legitimacy for your group, once that sort of thing is happening, it is time for your group to take a stand of its own and either join the forces opposing them, or leave.
                        The problem is that you are treating the UTR rally as an isolated unique event. It wasn't. There were protests at the Lee Statue nearly every day for 5 months. Different groups protested. Not all were neo-nazis or KKK members.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

OBP, consider this,

You, when kinda supporting me about asking for significant accomplishments instead of giant lists of everything down renaming post offices, still took a moment to insult me about how rarely I had a good point....
                          Dude, that wasn't an insult. That was me expressing that I rarely agree with you.
                          You're on the wrong side of things man, come over to me and Sam, we have cookies and a clean conscience.
                          Seared != clean. It's not as if you haven't been dishing out insults with abandon.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The problem is that you are treating the UTR rally as an isolated unique event. It wasn't. There were protests at the Lee Statue nearly every day for 5 months. Different groups protested. Not all were neo-nazis or KKK members.
                            What we are talking about as it relates to Donald Trump's statements is that one weekend event and what happened during it that prompted Trump to comment.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              I'll admit I wasn't expecting exactly this when attempting to track down the Flagger's permit.

"5 hours ago" means five hours ago today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41919[/ATTACH]
                              Which could be interpreted to mean that the flaggers really support black chattel slavery

...or could simply mean that the flaggers support states' rights. You appear determined to paint the opposition in the worst light possible, and decry the other side as being unreasonable?
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Which could be interpreted to mean that the flaggers really support black chattel slavery

...or could simply mean that the flaggers support states' rights. You appear determined to paint the opposition in the worst light possible, and decry the other side as being unreasonable?
                                I didn't post anything to imply that the picture was a defense of chattel slavery -- that was your bit.

It's enough for me that the picture proclaims Confederate traitors (who fought for the preservation of chattel slavery, if you want to mention it) as "heroes" -- not just the generals but the grey uniforms writ large.

--Sam
                                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment