Page 130 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1533

Thread: Christianity Today Op Ed

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    All of this needs a lot less cutting and a lot more thought put into a response before I can even begin to comment. It's reactionary and not considered.

--Sam
    Translation --- "I want to dictate the terms and have you respond on MY terms".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    There was nothing convoluted about what I said CP,
    You can claim that, Jim, but the fact that we're still trying to figure it out suggests otherwise.

though your summary still misses the mark.
    I'm shocked.

Rogues reply to Sam indicated Sam was describing a creampuf Christ. What Sam described however was nothing of the sort, and for the reason's I gave.
    Cool.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If your response to a Christian discussing Scripture is "Why would I listen to them about anything Scriptural when they're married to another dude, I really don't think that leaves much room to maneuver.

--Sam
    Suppose you knew a Christian who was not only an unrepentant adulterer but claimed that scripture actually allowed for his behavior without condemnation. Now suppose this same guy wanted to lecture you about the finer points of Christian theology. Would you listen to him? Or would you be too busy avoiding the log in his eye to be able to pay attention?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The quote is there for all to see, Sam -- That's why, unlike some of your supporters, I actually use the quote function.

You could have just stayed out of the gutter in the first place.

Perhaps you should have stuck with that.

Perhaps in your twisted little world, Sam, but in mine, somebody can legitimately be a "Christian" and be either ignorant, or screwed up in the head, or simply be wrong.....

I don't play this game like your colleague, Charles, stating somebody is "not a Christian" or "not a True Believer".

Still waiting for that apology, without all the runaround.

When you called me out on something, I immediately corrected, and didn't try to justify or rationalize.

If you use the quote function responsibly, without cutting sentences or thoughts apart, you will see that I did not accuse you of anything you have not said and acknowledged on this thread. I joined two similar clauses together, as one does when constructing a grammatically-appropriate sentence. If you don't like being lumped together with the other set then I'm sorry, but it was a considered sentence and reflects how closely the sentiments are to each other.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you use the quote function responsibly, without cutting sentences or thoughts apart,
    Sam - STOP SAYING STUPID STUFF.

you will see that I did not accuse you of anything you have not said and acknowledged on this thread.
    False.

I joined two similar clauses together, as one does when constructing a grammatically-appropriate sentence. If you don't like being lumped together with the other set then I'm sorry, but it was a considered sentence and reflects how closely the sentiments are to each other.

--Sam
    You made an assumption that was simply not true, and you are not man enough to admit it.

I think it's notable that Cow Poke and others can advocate for some standard of Christianity where someone like Buttigieg (or myself) can't be called Christian...

I have done no such thing.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sam - STOP SAYING STUPID STUFF.

False.

You made an assumption that was simply not true, and you are not man enough to admit it.

I have done no such thing.
    You used the quote you used earlier with the sentence cut off -- this time after I told you that the clause you're quoting wasn't referring to you.

First time is understandable, since you likely read that far and reacted. Using it the second time means you're not bothering to listen to the explanation.

No way to progress, if that's the case.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You used the quote you used earlier with the sentence cut off -- this time after I told you that the clause you're quoting wasn't referring to you.
    Then leave my name out of it and mind your own business, Sam.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm not sure that he has. As far as I know you're identifying 'human body' with the fetal stage. But that's not how the term is used within Science, so you're claiming a philosophical position: That there is some sort of essential difference between the blastocyst stage, and the fetal stage, without justification.
    AFAICT, That is not what I'm doing. I'm identifying human body with the completed gestation, All the parts functioning together, arms, legs, head, etc. And there are significant scientific distinctions between these stages. That is how they are identified and separated. The are all human cells, but those cells undergo significant changes throughout the process. Now one could adopt the definition of 'body' to mean any and all stages of human development, but that is not the normal meaning of the word. And a blastocyst is not by any definition I am using in this discussion a 'human body'. It is a mass of undifferentiated cells that wil become a human body if it has the proper environment around it to do so.

Innocense is simply the state of not having committed any moral evil. Since a fetus is a human, it has the potential for moral actions, but has not committed any yet, ergo it is innocent.
    Interesting. And before I continue, I am not saying the following to prove I'm right per se, but I'm simply presenting what I believe it s valid counter to the reasoning behind the above, so please to not feel I'm on the attack in any way, of being overly defensive. I do not mind if you show me to be wrong in this if it can be done logically and with reason.
    ---

So would you ascribe innocence to a jellyfish, or a rock? I don't think innocence can exist as anything but an anthropomorphism in an entity not capable of making a moral distinction.

I would not disagree with you though if you claimed that any stage of human life contains the potential of moral action, and that, I believe, is what makes it wrong to do abortion on demand. But I don't believe that prior to the development of the brain you can ascribe the capacity or even the potential (beyond a future development) for moral action. For example, a fetus that does not develop a brain due to a genetic defect. That fetus (unknown of course prior to the event) never had the potential to be a human person. And a blastocyst itself has no capability for moral action at that specific stage of development. That will come later as long as nothing stops its normal development.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post

Innocense is simply the state of not having committed any moral evil. Since a fetus is a human, it has the potential for moral actions, but has not committed any yet, ergo it is innocent.
    I agree, but I think this may run counter to some understandings of "Original Sin."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I agree, but I think this may run counter to some understandings of "Original Sin."
    Well, yeah, then factor in the age of accountability. We can sure make a mess of this.