Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The only time liberals take Christianity seriously is when they think that they can use it to shame people into agreeing with them. It's unadulterated hypocrisy.
    Tassman is much better at this than JimL, in my opinion.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Right, Christian leaders in general are cowards, and they were just waiting for an uninformed editorial to give them the "nudge" they need to finally speak their minds.

Not all black and white MM. They aren't either 'courageous' or 'cowards'

There is the 'don't preach politics from the pulpit' that is usually a good idea because there is room for differences of opinion in most cases. But sometimes situations arise the require leadership, Christian leadership, to take a stand, to draw a line. If a pastor was on the fence as to whether or not this was one of those times, this op-ed could be the difference between stay quiet and make a statement.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Not all black and white MM. They aren't either 'courageous' or 'cowards'

There is the 'don't preach politics from the pulpit' that is usually a good idea because there is room for differences of opinion in most cases. But sometimes situations arise the require leadership, Christian leadership, to take a stand, to draw a line. If a pastor was on the fence as to whether or not this was one of those times, this op-ed could be the difference between stay quiet and make a statement.
        Not from the pulpit.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The only time liberals take Christianity seriously is when they think that they can use it to shame people into agreeing with them. It's unadulterated hypocrisy.
          There is another way of looking at it MM. There are times when things are so clearly wrong that even people from very different cultures or basic worldviews can find they have common ground. When that happens, then it tends to reinforce the fact that "hey - this is an issue that crosses these typical boundaries, that is so clearly wrong (or right) even our normal opponents agree with us'. And that is why they will reference publications that normally they are at odds with. Because it puts the exclamation point on 'this is bad' or 'this is good'.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Jerry Falwell, Jr. calls out Christianity Today:

Screenshot_20191220_121318.jpg
            https://twitter.com/JerryFalwellJr/s...for-hillary%2F
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Not from the pulpit.
              I disagree CP. A leader can't be silent if something is completely wrong and people in his congregation may be under the influence of that wrong thing. A pastor is a Shepherd. And he is responsible for his flock. If something is about to lead those in his care off the proverbial cliff, he abdicates his responsibilities if he does not take action to protect them. And the fact that something might get the label 'politics' does not give him a free pass to look the other way as they trot off down that path to destruction.

I speak here in this specific post in generalities. I'm not making an absolute statement that the impeachment is such a line and a pastor is necessarily doing the wrong thing if they don't speak about it from the pulpit.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-20-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Not from the pulpit.
                Right... if pastors were to start condemning politicians from the pulpit then they wouldn't have time to preach about anything else!

Let's put it this way: if you as a Christian wouldn't use it as a witnessing tool, then pastors shouldn't touch it on Sunday morning.

Comment

I was happy to see it and it is interesting to see that quite many other medias are bringing news articles about it. It is something that is whatched with great interest by many who have wonder how long Evangelicals will continue to support Trump. And while that article is certainly not the end of Evangelical support it might help to push things in the right direction, it might make it a bit easier to raise a critical voice.

Here are some of the most important parts of it:

The reason many are not shocked about this is that this president has dumbed down the idea of morality in his administration. He has hired and fired a number of people who are now convicted criminals. He himself has admitted to immoral actions in business and his relationship with women, about which he remains proud. His Twitter feed alone—with its habitual string of mischaracterizations, lies, and slanders—is a near perfect example of a human being who is morally lost and confused.
                  To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump’s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don’t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come?
                  And just when we think it’s time to push all our chips to the center of the table, that’s when the whole game will come crashing down. It will crash down on the reputation of evangelical religion and on the world’s understanding of the gospel. And it will come crashing down on a nation of men and women whose welfare is also our concern.
                  https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...om-office.html
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Right... if pastors were to start condemning politicians from the pulpit then they wouldn't have time to preach about anything else!

Let's put it this way: if you as a Christian wouldn't use it as a witnessing tool, then pastors shouldn't touch it on Sunday morning.
                    In general we agree it is not a good thing to be political in a pulpit.

But it is not a rule that must never be broken no matter how bad the situation is. Indeed, there have been many times in history when the sin of the Pastor was to remain silent. Russia, China, Nazi Germany, Italy under Mousillini, Cuba under Castro.

I am not making a judgement on this specific situation here. I am addressing what I believe is the false assumption a pastor must never address political issues, or even political figures. There are extremes where they must.

Comment

I disagree CP.
                      Of course you do.

A leader can't be silent if something is completely wrong and people in his congregation may be under the influence of that wrong thing. A pastor is a Shepherd. And he is responsible for his flock.
                      A pastor is charged with preaching the Gospel, not politics. Issues, not personalities.

If something is about to lead those in his care off the proverbial cliff, he abdicates his responsibilities if he does not take action to protect them. And the fact that something might get the label 'politics' does not give him a free pass to look the other way as they trot off down that path to destruction.
                      Yeah, because people are too stupid to see who Trump is.

I speak here in generalities, as you are. I'm not making an absolute statement that the impeachment is such a line and a pastor is doing the wrong thing if the don't speak about it from the pulpit.
                      Gospel, not politics. Issues, not people.

Comment

Originally posted by of
                        Indeed, there have been many times in history when the sin of the Pastor was to remain silent. Russia, China, Nazi Germany, Italy under Mousillini, Cuba under Castro.
                        You are really comparing Trump's presidency with these historic events. Really.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

In general we agree it is not a good thing to be political in a pulpit.

But it is not a rule that must never be broken no matter how bad the situation is. Indeed, there have been many times in history when the sin of the Pastor was to remain silent. Russia, China, Nazi Germany, Italy under Mousillini, Cuba under Castro.

I am not making a judgement on this specific situation here. I am addressing what I believe is the false assumption a pastor must never address political issues, or even political figures. There are extremes where they must.
                          Who decides that?

Comment

A pastor is charged with preaching the Gospel, not politics. Issues, not personalities.
                            No CP. A pastor of a church is not just an evangelist. He shepherds his flock. They are under his care, his guidance. That is why pastors must be above reproach, husband of one wife etc. And a man can be a great pastor and a very poor evangelist. Pastors teach and guide those in there care, help them to mature in Christ, so they too can lead and disciple others, so the church can be the body of Christ in the world.

Yeah, because people are too stupid to see who Trump is.
                            A lot of them are.

Gospel, not politics. Issues, not people.
                            Sometimes the two can't be separated.

Comment

We should take our cues from the Bible, and there is no record of Jesus or the Apostles preaching politics. The closest Jesus ever got to a political message was "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and give to God what is God's."

I am not making a judgement on this specific situation here.
                              I'm not even sure you believe this.

Comment

No CP. A pastor of a church is not just an evangelist. He shepherds his flock. They are under his care, his guidance. That is why pastors must be above reproach, husband of one wife etc. And a man can be a great pastor and a very poor evangelist. Pastors teach and guide those in there care, help them to mature in Christ, so they too can lead and disciple others, so the church can be the body of Christ in the world.
                                All of which can be done without getting political in the pulpit. In fact, in this incredibly divisive nation, it can actually drive away people who need all of the above.

A lot of them are.
                                You're really going to go with that? People are too stupid?

Sometimes the two can't be separated.
                                Where does the New Testament ever launch into politics, Jim? Where does the Bible ever even suggest that we tackle politics?

Comment