Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

A Hope That Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hope That Burns

This is a song I wrote that I hope to record in a couple of months' time:

A Hope That Burns

There is a hope that burns
    Right through the strongest walls,
    Freeing your heart and soul
    To truly fly, beyond the sky;

There is a truth so deep
    It helps you see the light
    That floods the world right through
    In every place and every time,

You just need to reflect it,
    And redirect it
    To make the shadows flee
    And help the blind to see

That you are loved, that you are treasured
    By Him above, who gives without measure;
    There’s nothing that He can’t do, He has good plans for you.

There is a love so pure
    It shames the proud to bow,
    It fills the poor with joy,
    That they’re so much more than a toy.

He’s calling you home, there’s no need to roam;
    He’s prepared a place for you under a sky so blue,
    Lit by His glory, that’s the point of the story
    He’s been telling through every life,
    There you can truly thrive,

So come on home, there’s no need to roam;
    He’s prepared a place for you under a sky so blue,
    Lit by His glory, that’s the point of the story
    He’s been telling through every life,
    There you can truly thrive,
    So come on home.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Right until the last minute it looked like it wasn't going to happen. (It was a weekend training conference on music recording in collaboration with Visible Music College.)

I had a bad lung infection followed by flu and completely lost my voice a week and a half before the conference, ended up shifting the whole song down half an octave because I couldn't reach the high notes any more. Since I can't read music or play an instrument, I somehow managed to sing a cracky recording of the approximate main melody one week before the conference and send it to someone else in my church who is a talented musician and was teaching at the conference (called Tomas). He came up with an accompaniment for piano and guitar, which I first heard on the Friday of the conference (all the recordings were scheduled for the Saturday). He played the keyboard, we grabbed another attendee for the guitar part who I'd never met before and we fine-tuned the music for about an hour, with me singing quietly to save what little voice I'd managed to recover by then (by sipping hot water with honey and lemon in the morning and drinking so much water all through the day that I was off to the bathroom every 20 minutes)

My voice held just long enough for a quick demonstration performance to show the sound engineers that my song was worth trying to record, could feel the burning in my throat building all the way through, just managed to avoid a coughing fit before finishing the song. They agreed it was worth trying to record it, I had lots of my online writer friends praying for my voice to recover enough to do a decent job. It did get better slowly overnight and through Saturday, but Tomas was teaching music theory when the recording sessions were supposed to happen, so we ended up starting our recording session twenty minutes after they were supposed to end and move on to the lessons on music mixing, with us still making last-minute adjustments to what we were going to do. We ended up doing five or six run-throughs of the song, getting better each time (apart from one time where I messed up a line) as I utilised the residual effects of the flu on my voice and really embraced the bass. It sounded pretty darn good even before the professional mixing and I can't wait to hear what the final product will sound like, which I'll put up on cdbaby and see if I can recoup the costs of attending the conference.

Would I be allowed to put a link to that in this thread when it becomes available?

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
      Right until the last minute it looked like it wasn't going to happen. (It was a weekend training conference on music recording in collaboration with Visible Music College.)

I had a bad lung infection followed by flu and completely lost my voice a week and a half before the conference, ended up shifting the whole song down half an octave because I couldn't reach the high notes any more. Since I can't read music or play an instrument, I somehow managed to sing a cracky recording of the approximate main melody one week before the conference and send it to someone else in my church who is a talented musician and was teaching at the conference (called Tomas). He came up with an accompaniment for piano and guitar, which I first heard on the Friday of the conference (all the recordings were scheduled for the Saturday). He played the keyboard, we grabbed another attendee for the guitar part who I'd never met before and we fine-tuned the music for about an hour, with me singing quietly to save what little voice I'd managed to recover by then (by sipping hot water with honey and lemon in the morning and drinking so much water all through the day that I was off to the bathroom every 20 minutes)

My voice held just long enough for a quick demonstration performance to show the sound engineers that my song was worth trying to record, could feel the burning in my throat building all the way through, just managed to avoid a coughing fit before finishing the song. They agreed it was worth trying to record it, I had lots of my online writer friends praying for my voice to recover enough to do a decent job. It did get better slowly overnight and through Saturday, but Tomas was teaching music theory when the recording sessions were supposed to happen, so we ended up starting our recording session twenty minutes after they were supposed to end and move on to the lessons on music mixing, with us still making last-minute adjustments to what we were going to do. We ended up doing five or six run-throughs of the song, getting better each time (apart from one time where I messed up a line) as I utilised the residual effects of the flu on my voice and really embraced the bass. It sounded pretty darn good even before the professional mixing and I can't wait to hear what the final product will sound like, which I'll put up on cdbaby and see if I can recoup the costs of attending the conference.

Would I be allowed to put a link to that in this thread when it becomes available?
      sure.

Comment

Thanks.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Hope That Burns Cover Concept 2_half.jpg
          It's now live at cdbaby, and will become available at other outlets (including spotify and other music streaming services) over the course of the next month.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

nice cover art.

Comment

Thanks, I got lucky with the base image from pixabay; it only needed the lettering added, which was relatively straightforward.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Did anyone listen to the song? It's only 99 cents. (I'm going to be offline for the next 5 days, so won't be able to respond).

A Hope That Burns

Comment

It's now available to listen to or buy via a lot of different outlets, links to those can be found here:

http://bit.ly/hopethatburns

If you do want to buy it (and the prices are the same everywhere), the CD baby store option gives me the most royalty per sale. Other venues like itunes, amazon or google play give the song more visibility (I assume).

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
                    It's now available to listen to or buy via a lot of different outlets, links to those can be found here:

http://bit.ly/hopethatburns

If you do want to buy it (and the prices are the same everywhere), the CD baby store option gives me the most royalty per sale. Other venues like itunes, amazon or google play give the song more visibility (I assume).
                    Stepped on and broke my headphones yesterday but will gladly give it a listen as soon as I buy a new one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X