Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Isn’t Impeached Until the House Tells the Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    He's one of the Dem witnesses that testified before Judiciary.
    Musta missed that fax from LiberalTalkingPointsForDummies.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      (unless there's DRAMATIC new something)
      Ok. And it is totally fine for McConnell and Schumer to jockey for position in order to give their side the most advantageous rules under which the trial will be carried out, even to the extent that McConnell is actively working with Trump during the planning. The only thing required by the oath is that once the trial starts all evidence that is presented (and I guess only evidence that is presented at the trial) is fairly considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        Ok. And it is totally fine for McConnell and Schumer to jockey for position in order to give their side the most advantageous rules under which the trial will be carried out, even to the extent that McConnell is actively working with Trump during the planning.
        Well, about that --- The US Constitution very unambiguously gives the sole responsibility and authority to the House for the impeachment portion, and to the Senate for the convict/remove.

Schumer is an idiot for thinking he has any right to dictate how the Senate runs their part when he didn't seek their advice on how to run his part. But, he has to do what he has to do to keep his own butt and his own party in power.

The only thing required by the oath is that once the trial starts all evidence that is presented (and I guess only evidence that is presented at the trial) is fairly considered.
        On this, the Constitution is far less unambiguous. It simply gives the Senate full power and responsibility for that part, and they can even write their own rules, as did the House.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nope. The Sente tries the case - it doesn't conduct the inquiry. The House can do that by itself. If the House acted prematurely, the Senate should be asked to dismiss or the articles withdrawn while the House does its job.
          So if during an ongoing murder trial, new evidence is uncovered that proves the defendents guilt, since it wasn't presented at the beginning of the trial, it isn't admissable?

Comment

So the Senate dismisses and the House can do it right next time.
            One can only hope that the House immediately starts impeachment proceedings again after the Senate is done.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Well, about that --- The US Constitution very unambiguously gives the sole responsibility and authority to the House for the impeachment portion, and to the Senate for the convict/remove.

Schumer is an idiot for thinking he has any right to dictate how the Senate runs their part when he didn't seek their advice on how to run his part. But, he has to do what he has to do to keep his own butt and his own party in power.

On this, the Constitution is far less unambiguous. It simply gives the Senate full power and responsibility for that part, and they can even write their own rules, as did the House.
              Thanks for the discussion CP and others, I understand your position better now.

Regarding what you said, constitutional law is above my pay grade :). I'm just a lowly computer scientist.

Comment

So the Senate dismisses and the House can do it right next time.
                Actually there is already plenty enough evidence for an honest, unbiased, ethical jury to convict, but we know by their own words that they, the republican majority, are not those things and that they intend to exonerate in a sham trial regardless of that evidence and will do anything to prevent the allowance of previously obstructed evidence from being admitted. We all know why that is, and that includes you too Tea.

Comment

Nope. The Sente tries the case - it doesn't conduct the inquiry. The House can do that by itself. If the House acted prematurely, the Senate should be asked to dismiss or the articles withdrawn while the House does its job.
                  Subpoenaing witnesses and documentary evidence is not an inquiry.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Subpoenaing witnesses and documentary evidence is not an inquiry.
                    inquiry
                    noun, plural in·quir·ies.
                    1. a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge.
                    2. an investigation, as into an incident:
                    a Congressional inquiry into the bribery charges.
                    3. the act of inquiring or of seeking information by questioning; interrogation.
                    4. a question; query.
                    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/inquiry

Don’t go a changing, Jimmy.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• This issue is forever laid to rest. By any interpretation from any party, it is now undeniable that Trump is impeached.

The Chief Justice has presided over the official declaration.

Comment