Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Sensational spider fossil found fake legs painted on a crayfish fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensational spider fossil found fake legs painted on a crayfish fossil

Sensational spider fossil found fake legs painted on a crayfish fossil

Source: https://www.sciencealert.com/a-fossil-has-been-stripped-of-its-classification-because-its-legs-were-literally-painted-on

A Fossil Spider Discovery Just Turned Out to Be a Crayfish With Some Legs Painted On
    MICHELLE STARR20 DEC 2019

When scientists at the Dalian Natural History Museum in China copped a load of a fossil unearthed in the Lower Cretaceous Yixian Formation, they couldn't believe their eyes. The eight-legged beastie looked like nothing anyone had seen before. Exceptionally preserved.

They described it as a new spider, publishing their analysis in the journal Acta Geologica Sinica, and named the species Mongolarachne chaoyangensis. There was just one problem: the fossil was a big old fake.

The cunning ruse was discovered by invertebrate paleontologist Paul Selden of the University of Kansas, whose spidey senses started tingling when he got his hands on the paper.

"I was obviously very sceptical," Selden said.

"The paper had very few details, so my colleagues in Beijing borrowed the specimen from the people in the Southern University, and I got to look at it. Immediately, I realised there was something wrong with it - it clearly wasn't a spider. It was missing various parts, had too many segments in its six legs, and huge eyes."

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

The usual routine in the past is the Chinese skillfully make false fossils to Western museums, but this time Chinese forgers coned Chinese Scientists.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Yeah I have become skeptical of fossils coming out of China. Fraught with fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yeah I have become skeptical of fossils coming out of China. Fraught with fraud.
        Not really fraught with fraud, but yes fraud in all things is common. It is not always discovered at first, but eventually scientists do discover the fraud. The spider fossil fraud was so obvious it almost humorous considering how bad the anatomy was.

A similar even greater problem exists in the archaeological fraud in the Middle East. Fraudulent texts and artifacts show up all the time in museums and collections in the west all the time.

Frank

Comment