Math Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math Problem

Searching gets me everything but what I want. I passed trig but was never great at it. I know full well it's simple but I am drawing a complete blank on what to do.

I already found a calculator that gave me the answer but I want to know how it is done.

Anyone know a good tutorial on isosceles triangles?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

What are you trying to find out?

Comment

math is of da debil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread unfold... maybe. Or maybe I should fear discovering how much my math skill have rotted away over the decades.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          math is bakin' of da debil.
          Better.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Searching gets me everything but what I want. I passed trig but was never great at it. I know full well it's simple but I am drawing a complete blank on what to do.

I already found a calculator that gave me the answer but I want to know how it is done.

Anyone know a good tutorial on isosceles triangles?
            Trigon-metry, with perfect hair and humility, stand at the apex of my mastery in life.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              Trigon-metry, with perfect hair and humility, stand at the apex of my mastery in life.

Why was Mrs MaGullicutty so dad-blaimed obstinate that there was no wiggle room in addin and subtractin? She seemed to think there was always only ONE RIGHT ANSWER!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Better.
                Lao.gif
                Devil's Baker

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Why was Mrs MaGullicutty so dad-blaimed obstinate that there was no wiggle room in addin and subtractin? She seemed to think there was always only ONE RIGHT ANSWER!
                  It's like she never heard of 'proximatin'

Comment

She made me really appreciate Mrs Finkleberry's tests where many of the questions began "in your own opinion......"

Now THAT lady was reasonable!

(I especially liked the box that said "remember, there are no right or wrong answers")
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I got the answer. Now I wanna relearn how to do it.

Isosceles triangle. The hypotenuse is 4.5 feet. The angels are 90, 45, 45. Need length of the sides.

I got it pretty close by cheating my way through the pythagorean theorem. And I found a calculator that solves for everything but shows little of the work.

I lacked 10 hours on a math minor but I don't work problems much anymore.

I'm going to start a free algebra course next year just to brush up again.

Sigh...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        She made me really appreciate Mrs Finkleberry's tests where many of the questions began "in your own opinion......"

Now THAT lady was reasonable!

(I especially liked the box that said "remember, there are no right or wrong answers")
                        Yeah. She was cool. Never expected us to lurn nuthin'

Comment

First. Drop the term isosceles. While this is technically correct for the case you gave, you are actually interested in right triangles (but in California you might have to use left triangles. lol).

The relationship of the sides of a right triangle are h^2 = a^2 + b^2. [ the hat symbol means "to the power of". e.g., H to the power of 2.]

If you have a triangle with the three sides having length 3, 4 and 5. The Hypotenuse will be the largest side. We have 5*5 = 3*3 + 4* 4.

Here's a link for the trig functions: https://www.mathportal.org/formulas/...igonometry.php

The way I remember these are with soh, cah, toa -- as if we have some Japanese words
                          soh = sin of an angle is equal to the length of the opposite side over the hypotenuse. [by opposite side, this is the side that opposite where the angle is located]
                          cah = cosine of an angle is equal to the adjacent side over the hypotenuse
                          toa = the tangent of an angle is equal to the opposite side over the adjacent side.

In the case of an isoceles right triangle, we can use the equation .5 * h^2 = a^2 or we can change to a = sqrt (.5 * h^2) or a= .707 * h

Using trig,
                          Let's use the formula for cosine and the adjacent side
                          cos 45 = adj-side/4.5feet
                          This is rearranged by multiplying both sides by 4.5. adj-sid = 4.5 * cos 45. It happens to be that cos(45degrees) is .707

//

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

MidtermII.jpg

Comment