Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Elite' evangelicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Elite' evangelicals

Hattip to NorrinRadd.

Wow.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

It's an amusing Providential coincidence that the guy's name -- "Galli" -- relates to the barnyard bird family. Undoubtedly this turkey and his bird-brain friends sneer down their beaks at smelly WalMart shoppers, and regard us as irredeemably deplorable. Those pant-loads need to get out more.

FTR, I'm a college graduate (barely, I admit). My circle of friends includes mostly Evangelicals. Several are college graduates, but most are not. Most are Republicans and Trump supporters (but most of us did NOT support him in the primaries). My *family* is mostly non-Evangelical, mostly college educated, mostly moderate Democrat, and mostly anti-Trump. I live in western "Pennsyltucky." Mr. Galli would find many people like me and my friends in Red State America, and we would perceive *him* as the "alien."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      so his op ed in CT recently wasn't him changing his mind about Trump. He had TDS all along. and he is an elitist liberal Christian.
      Last edited by Sparko; 12-21-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I wonder what Galli's doctrines about Jesus are. I wonder what his concept of the gospel is. His claim to being an elite evangelical does raise a red flag. The social justice doctrines seem to be more of a popular non-Christian movement rather a concept of unity raised through Christ -- sort of a Democratic atheist moral doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          His claim to being an elite evangelical does raise a red flag.
          Its a very poor term to use. But he's clearly not saying he's "The best Christian", he's clearly saying "I have a long education and I'm wealthy" as well as being evangelical.

The social justice doctrines seem to be more of a popular non-Christian movement rather a concept of unity raised through Christ -- sort of a Democratic atheist moral doctrine.
          There is nothing inconsistent in the slightest between being a Christian, and supporting welfare and "social justice". The fact that atheists are doing that work is an accident of history, in that the religious right was formed in the US. In other countries the patterns are different.

Comment

Deleted
            Last edited by Leonhard; 12-21-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I've read material by Galli in the past though I would not say that I follow him closely by any means. My general impression was that he is a fairly conservative Christian. Before now the incident that popped up most on my radar was when he strongly pushed back against Rob Bell's universalism. The personal attacks like "bird brained" in his thread are unbecoming of descriptions against fellow Christians with whom we disagree though I know saying so will go nowhere here.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I've read material by Galli in the past though I would not say that I follow him closely by any means. My general impression was that he is a fairly conservative Christian. Before now the incident that popped up most on my radar was when he strongly pushed back against Rob Bell's universalism. The personal attacks like "bird brained" in his thread are unbecoming of descriptions against fellow Christians with whom we disagree though I know saying so will go nowhere here.
                You seem like a pretty decent guy, KG. Just stop it.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I might have missed something Cow Poke. I didn't follow the other thread. But I don't see what's wrong with Kingsgambit's statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I might have missed something Cow Poke. I didn't follow the other thread. But I don't see what's wrong with Kingsgambit's statement.
                    I was kidding him --- he's a decent guy, and so often that just doesn't "fit" in Tweb's... um..... I was kidding.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      I was kidding him --- he's a decent guy, and so often that just doesn't "fit" in Tweb's... um..... I was kidding.
                      Probably good you asked, Leon - others may have gotten the wrong impression as well. I don't always agree with KG - but "he DO makes me think"!

Comment

I watched a bit of an interview with Galli on CNN on Friday and he said he and his magazine are "centrists". His main issue was against the Christians who support President Trump. He thinks this is amoral. He also said he is stepping down as editor of Christianity Today.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                          I watched a bit of an interview with Galli on CNN on Friday and he said he and his magazine are "centrists". His main issue was against the Christians who support President Trump. He thinks this is amoral. He also said he is stepping down as editor of Christianity Today.
                          It looks like this is the video:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioCDIiaaifE

This is an interesting change. Is he actually being cautious of making ET appear as a political publication?

I'm not sure what "centrist" means here. I suppose it is okay if he means that they address ideas across a broad scheme. I haven't read stuff from it probably since my years in college or shortly after that.

You know the editorial is misguided when the MSM thinks the editorial is significant.
                          Last edited by mikewhitney; 12-21-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

There is another video, now from MSNBC:
                            youtube.com/watch?v=SWz3f3Q2hqE

There is a very nominal description of forgiveness -- on the verge of missing the purpose as being reconciliation with God.

There is the funny statement about Pelosi praying for the President. If she does, it would have been much better to have left that unstated.

Then, MSNBC like CNN sees this as a big challenge to the evangelical Christianity. I just don't think ET is that popular of a publication. I suppose I might browse through it if a copy were nearby -- who is the main audience?

Regarding Christianity and Trump, I have not heard any details to make me think he is a Christian. He seems to have more connections within Judaism than Christianity. My interest in his Presidency is not about his Christian status but about his willingness (and ability) to stand up against the deep state, the self-enriching politicians, corruption in the FBI, and many other things.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              There is another video, now from MSNBC:
                              youtube.com/watch?v=SWz3f3Q2hqE

There is a very nominal description of forgiveness -- on the verge of missing the purpose as being reconciliation with God.

There is the funny statement about Pelosi praying for the President. If she does, it would have been much better to have left that unstated.

Then, MSNBC like CNN sees this as a big challenge to the evangelical Christianity. I just don't think ET is that popular of a publication. I suppose I might browse through it if a copy were nearby -- who is the main audience?

Regarding Christianity and Trump, I have not heard any details to make me think he is a Christian. He seems to have more connections within Judaism than Christianity. My interest in his Presidency is not about his Christian status but about his willingness (and ability) to stand up against the deep state, the self-enriching politicians, corruption in the FBI, and many other things.
                              Christianity Today is sort of the conservative counterpart to the more liberal Christian Century, which is not worth reading. I used to subscribe to it but that subscription didn't survive a family budget overhaul.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment