Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Elite' evangelicals

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You seem like a pretty decent guy, KG. Just stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I might have missed something Cow Poke. I didn't follow the other thread. But I don't see what's wrong with Kingsgambit's statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I was kidding him --- he's a decent guy, and so often that just doesn't "fit" in Tweb's... um..... I was kidding.
    Probably good you asked, Leon - others may have gotten the wrong impression as well. I don't always agree with KG - but "he DO makes me think"!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I watched a bit of an interview with Galli on CNN on Friday and he said he and his magazine are "centrists". His main issue was against the Christians who support President Trump. He thinks this is amoral. He also said he is stepping down as editor of Christianity Today.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther View Post
    I watched a bit of an interview with Galli on CNN on Friday and he said he and his magazine are "centrists". His main issue was against the Christians who support President Trump. He thinks this is amoral. He also said he is stepping down as editor of Christianity Today.
    It looks like this is the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioCDIiaaifE

This is an interesting change. Is he actually being cautious of making ET appear as a political publication?

I'm not sure what "centrist" means here. I suppose it is okay if he means that they address ideas across a broad scheme. I haven't read stuff from it probably since my years in college or shortly after that.

You know the editorial is misguided when the MSM thinks the editorial is significant.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 12-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is another video, now from MSNBC:
    youtube.com/watch?v=SWz3f3Q2hqE

There is a very nominal description of forgiveness -- on the verge of missing the purpose as being reconciliation with God.

There is the funny statement about Pelosi praying for the President. If she does, it would have been much better to have left that unstated.

Then, MSNBC like CNN sees this as a big challenge to the evangelical Christianity. I just don't think ET is that popular of a publication. I suppose I might browse through it if a copy were nearby -- who is the main audience?

Regarding Christianity and Trump, I have not heard any details to make me think he is a Christian. He seems to have more connections within Judaism than Christianity. My interest in his Presidency is not about his Christian status but about his willingness (and ability) to stand up against the deep state, the self-enriching politicians, corruption in the FBI, and many other things.

6. Amen Cow Poke, NorrinRadd, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    There is another video, now from MSNBC:
    youtube.com/watch?v=SWz3f3Q2hqE

There is a very nominal description of forgiveness -- on the verge of missing the purpose as being reconciliation with God.

There is the funny statement about Pelosi praying for the President. If she does, it would have been much better to have left that unstated.

Then, MSNBC like CNN sees this as a big challenge to the evangelical Christianity. I just don't think ET is that popular of a publication. I suppose I might browse through it if a copy were nearby -- who is the main audience?

Regarding Christianity and Trump, I have not heard any details to make me think he is a Christian. He seems to have more connections within Judaism than Christianity. My interest in his Presidency is not about his Christian status but about his willingness (and ability) to stand up against the deep state, the self-enriching politicians, corruption in the FBI, and many other things.
    Christianity Today is sort of the conservative counterpart to the more liberal Christian Century, which is not worth reading. I used to subscribe to it but that subscription didn't survive a family budget overhaul.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

8. Amen Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Word usage like that can make me suspicious as well. None the less I don't think its fair to be suspicious of anyone who doesn't walk lockstep with Trump supporters. Its a weird litmus test of Christianity.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Word usage like that can make me suspicious as well. None the less I don't think its fair to be suspicious of anyone who doesn't walk lockstep with Trump supporters. Its a weird litmus test of Christianity.
    No one has stated a litmus test for Christianity based on views of Trump. I never expect to hear a sufficient definition of the gospel on the MSM. The MSNBC video didn't fail my expectation. Christianity hasn't been represented decently since the making of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

If it isn't clear on my view of the CT editorial, I just think it was a failure to have any value. He has not resolved the dispute of facts held between the anti-Trumpers and the pro-America people. So Galli only appealed along partisan lines. It appears that this error has become a concern for CT. I don't know if Galli should step down -- but the editorial did appear to be a lapse of judgment if CT is interested in the broad Christian audience.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther View Post
    He also said he is stepping down as editor of Christianity Today.
    Good riddance.
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nation’s political system.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I've read material by Galli in the past though I would not say that I follow him closely by any means. My general impression was that he is a fairly conservative Christian. Before now the incident that popped up most on my radar was when he strongly pushed back against Rob Bell's universalism. The personal attacks like "bird brained" in his thread are unbecoming of descriptions against fellow Christians with whom we disagree though I know saying so will go nowhere here.
    As the one who introduced "bird-brained" into this discussion, I affirm that you are correct: Your admonition will go nowhere with me. There are plenty of Christians with whom I disagree strongly on various issues. I would generally not be quick to label them as "bird-brains." Galli deserves the term for his manifest willful ignorance, partisanship, and superciliousness.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

13. Amen demi-conservative amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Good riddance.
    I was hoping he'd be impeached and removed.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."