Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the Economy, Stupid!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

It's the Economy, Stupid!

With any presidential election, the current (or expected) economy plays a huge part.

This is not an "I HATE TRUMP" thread - it's simply a thread to keep track of where we are with the economy, NOR does a robust economy offset the fact that Trump can be a real !$@&^!$.

Even CNN notes the "good news" for Trump....

Post-Impeachment, CNN Admits US Economy Received Best Ranking in Nearly 20 Years

economy stupid 1.jpeg -- economy stupid 2.jpeg

It must be difficult for CNN to admit President Donald Trump’s economy is remarkable after their obsession over his impeachment. Their latest poll shows a stunning result even the liberal outlet felt compelled to concede.

CNN reported on Dec. 20 that as the year 2019 closes, “the US economy earn[ed] its highest ratings in almost two decades” [emphasis added]. This, according to CNN, potentially boosts “President Donald Trump in matchups against the Democrats vying to face him in next year's election, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS.”

Specifics in the poll results showed that 76 percent of those polled “rate economic conditions in the US today as very or somewhat good, significantly more than those who said so at this time last year (67%)” [emphasis added].

CNN, in a stunning admission, stated that “This is the highest share to say the economy is good since February 2001, when 80% said so” [emphasis added].

Further results in the poll showed that 97 percent of Republicans said that “economic conditions are good right now,” along with 75 percent of Independents and 62 percent of Democrats.

CNN’s poll accounted for 888 registered voters with a margin of error plus or minus 4.0 percentage points.

Nearly seven in 10, according to CNN, “expect the economy to be in good shape a year from now (68%), the best outlook in CNN polling since December 2003” [emphasis added]. Furthermore, “63% who say things are good now and will continue to be good next year, while just 9% say the economy is currently good but will turn south in 2020.”
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    By far 90%+ of the recovery of the economy occurred under Obama from the Crash under Bush and the trend continued under Trump. A actually do not attribute the recovery primarily the responsibility of either Obama nor Trump, but the industry and commercial companies of the USA, and a natural recovery.

It's USA economy stupid, and not the Obama nor Trump economy.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

3. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    By far 90%+ of the recovery of the economy occurred under Obama from the Crash under Bush and the trend continued under Trump. A actually do not attribute the recovery primarily the responsibility of either Obama nor Trump, but the industry and commercial companies of the USA, and a natural recovery.
    I needed a good laugh. Thanks, Shuny.

Merry Christmas to you --- are you expecting snow?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Right...

The economy was stagnant under Obama and barely hanging on. Of course the fact that it took off like a rocket after Trump started implementing policy changes is just a coincidence.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cross-post, since it's relevant to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The Washington Post was forced by reality to grudgingly cancel its dire prediction that the US economy was on the verge of collapse.

Source: The Conservative Tree House

In July and August the U.S. was heading into a recession according to the media. The Washington Post was at the forefront of the recession narrative with multiple articles predicting certain doom for the U.S. economy…. except there was a problem. All of the economic data would not support their predictions. Things only got better.

The media gnashed their horrible teeth and stomped their horrible feet; alas Main Street continued to get stronger; wages higher, unemployment lower, and more middle-class Americans gaining strength and financial footing. The media shouted at trees hoping and praying their predictions would soon evidence and the economy would throw itself into reverse. Foiled again, it just never happened. Democrats have permanent frowns.

Today the Washington Post admits defeat, informs their audience that cheering for economic collapse is futile, and states, reluctantly, the U.S. is unlikely to enter a recession:

The U.S. economy is heading into 2020 at a pace of steady, sustained growth after a series of interest rate cuts and the apparent resolution of two trade-related threats mostly eliminated the risk of a recession.

This marks a dramatic turnaround in momentum since August, when some forecasters predicted a 50 percent chance of a downturn starting by the end of next year.

[…] The major fears in August were that businesses would continue pulling back their spending, Trump would continue imposing tariffs, and companies would soon turn around and ax employees. But that worst-case scenario didn’t materialize. Job gains exceeded expectations in October and November.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...the-recession/

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

7. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is surprising Trump hasn't yet crashed the US economy like Bush did.

But Trump has done literally nothing to benefit the US economy, so I don't see any way whatsoever to ascribe to him any credit for inheriting Obama's good economy.

9. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Obama definitely helped pull the U.S. out of the Bush crash and got the economy headed back in the right direction. The only thing Trump has done is to make his wealthy supporters even wealthier.

11. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The federal reserve has reversed course and is doing exactly what it was doing prior to Trump because of dire events occurring in the repo market. It's amazing how ignorant folks are about the central bank, what it's doing, and how it affects everything. I really really wish Trump and conservatives would stop using the economy as a sign of Trump's success, because this could backfire pretty spectacularly if the big fat ugly bubble market (Trump's own words) pops and shtf. I pray this doesn't happen before 2020. That's all I'll say.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    The federal reserve has reversed course and is doing exactly what it was doing prior to Trump because of dire events occurring in the repo market. It's amazing how ignorant folks are about the central bank, what it's doing, and how it affects everything. I really really wish Trump and conservatives would stop using the economy as a sign of Trump's success, because this could backfire pretty spectacularly if the big fat ugly bubble market (Trump's own words) pops and shtf. I pray this doesn't happen before 2020. That's all I'll say.
    Why before 2020?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    It is surprising Trump hasn't yet crashed the US economy like Bush did.

But Trump has done literally nothing to benefit the US economy, so I don't see any way whatsoever to ascribe to him any credit for inheriting Obama's good economy.
    Without addressing the substance (or lack thereof) of your post, it really doesn't matter. It's all about perception - when an election comes, one of the questions (even used as a campaign theme in the past) is "are you better off now than 4 years ago?"

Whether the current president is directly responsible for the economy in place at the time of his reelection campaign or not - it's a huge factor in his reelection.