Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Nuclear Power Worth the Risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Nuclear Power Worth the Risk?

Not vouching for the article at all, but the topic is interesting.

Seems like even some of the "greenies" who opposed nuclear power in the past now see it as a viable - maybe even preferable - option.

Comments?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

tl;dr

I hear the newer reactors are a lot safer and don't produce waste that will poison the land for a millennium.

Comment

Nuclear energy is a reality now and in the future. It depends on how we can deal with it and make it safe through technology.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Seems like even some of the "greenies" who opposed nuclear power in the past now see it as a viable - maybe even preferable - option.

Comments?
        Some of the new fast breeder reactors use a lot less fuel. The TPW style breeders use about a milk crate sized block of depleted uranium per month per gigawatt. The waste produced only has to be stored for 300 years instead of 100000 years before it is safe to handle.

Nuclear power is far safer as an energy compared to coal and gas, and that includes all the deaths from all the nuclear accidents ever recorded, even Chernobyl.

Comment

I find thorium interesting.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            More interesting than Dilithium?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Comments?
              Seen the shift taking place over the past few decades

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I prefer a U238-Pu239 breeder cycle to the Th232-U233 cycle. We have plenty of uranium, and the designs of the molten salt breeder reactors have advanced a long while. We have uranium ore to satisfy our energy needs for millions of years, and even the depleted uranium that the US has in stock is enough to keep reactors supplying energy to the entire country for ten thousand years.

Another advantage, other than simplicity, is that thorium reactors can be used to breed pure U233 which can be used to make nuclear weapons. This isn't a problem in the US as it already has weapons grade material, however for other countries like Denmark we would in principle get the ability to make nuclear weapons if we got thorium cycle nuclear reactors.

With the old U238-Pu239 cycle you can salt the plutonium with Pu240 which is not fissile, and which has been judged infeasible to separate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I prefer a U238-Pu239 breeder cycle to the Th232-U233 cycle. We have plenty of uranium, and the designs of the molten salt breeder reactors have advanced a long while. We have uranium ore to satisfy our energy needs for millions of years, and even the depleted uranium that the US has in stock is enough to keep reactors supplying energy to the entire country for ten thousand years.

Another advantage, other than simplicity, is that thorium reactors can be used to breed pure U233 which can be used to make nuclear weapons. This isn't a problem in the US as it already has weapons grade material, however for other countries like Denmark we would in principle get the ability to make nuclear weapons if we got thorium cycle nuclear reactors.

With the old U238-Pu239 cycle you can salt the plutonium with Pu240 which is not fissile, and which has been judged infeasible to separate.
                  Very interesting. Thank you, sir. And Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

The advantages I've heard are readily and inexpensively available fuel, less waste and safety. Nuclear treaties are going to involve oversight regardless - without it, the reactor inside may not be what the counntry claims - so I'm not seeing much advantage to building reactors that can't create fissible materials as built.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ol' thunderbutt gets all the hype. Meanwhile, it was his brother who avenged dad by ripping Fenrir's head off and survived Ragnarok. Why is there no Vidarium?
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Interesting discussion.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The advantages I've heard are readily and inexpensively available fuel, less waste and safety. Nuclear treaties are going to involve oversight regardless - without it, the reactor inside may not be what the counntry claims - so I'm not seeing much advantage to building reactors that can't create fissible materials as built.
                          The fuel is more inexpensive, however the older reactors could only burn the U235 fuel, which is only 0.7% of naturally occurring uranium. Modern reactors can turn the other 99.3% of U238 into Pu239 and then burn that. Meaning when you refuel a reactor you can keep it running for twenty years without a need for refueling.

U238 is inexpensive. Its stockpiled all over the place. Just what's left over from refining ordinary reactor fuel. So the price of the fuel is insignificant.

All that matters is the costs associated with approval, construction, decommissioning and long-term storage.

Here both thorium cycles and plutonium cycles have an advantage in that the fuel only has to be stored 300 years. And the quantity that needs to be stored is around 1% of the volume from traditional powerplants. This can be done in a huge cement warehouse, easily.

They're equally complex in decommissioning.

However in construction the plutonium cycle has an advantage as the fuel types have been worked with in the past, so there's industry expertise floating around, and existing industrial means.

In approval its strongly in favor of the plutonium cycles which are already advanced enough to proceed to construction, where as thorium reactors are still in an experimental phase.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Ol' thunderbutt gets all the hype. Meanwhile, it was his brother who avenged dad by ripping Fenrir's head off and survived Ragnarok. Why is there no Vidarium?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The real risks under consideration are proliferation of nuclear weapons. The big powers probably won't allow it for most nations.
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment