Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

HDTVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTVs

I have been thinking about getting a new HDTV. My last one was made in 2008. It still works but the backlight has some streaks in it that you can notice in bright scenes. And it is only a 42-inch. I am cheap though and don't want to spend thousands of dollars. But I also want the best I can buy and the biggest I can afford. I figure this TV would need to last another 10 years of so.

So I am asking for some help deciding.

The newest and most expensive tv's are OLED [each "dot" is a self-lighting LED, no backlighting). Most regular TVs today are LED (Each "dot" is an LCD shutter that allows the backlight to shine through, and the backlight is made up of a matrix of white LEDs that can be turned on or off in groups)

I am wondering if it is worth the extra cost for an OLED vs regular LED TV? Is the picture that much better?

I don't care if the TV is "smart" or not, I have a Roku. But I do want the best picture I can afford. The OLEDs seem about twice as expensive as a normal HDTV.

I am also thinking about getting a 75 to 85 inch and hanging it on the wall.

Any particular brands come to mind? I have been looking at LG, Sony, and Samsung.

Samsung has something called QLED. Not sure what that is.

I've done a fair amount of research on this, and the bottom line --- if you watch a lot of fast moving sports, it may be important.

Otherwise, can your eyes really distinguish a difference? Probably not.

I've opted to go for the biggest bang for the buck - the biggest screen at the lowest price. Visio seems to be that quite a bit.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've done a fair amount of research on this, and the bottom line --- if you watch a lot of fast moving sports, it may be important.

Otherwise, can your eyes really distinguish a difference? Probably not.

I've opted to go for the biggest bang for the buck - the biggest screen at the lowest price. Visio seems to be that quite a bit.
      My brother has a Visio. It seems pretty nice picture wise. I didn't care too much for the "smart" functions, but then it doesn't really matter to me since I will use my roku most likely.

I was looking at this Samsung model. What do you think?

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-QN8...cs&sr=1-2&th=1

It seems to be about the same price as the Visio 75-inch.

https://smile.amazon.com/VIZIO-Quant...tronics&sr=1-3

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        My brother has a Visio. It seems pretty nice picture wise. I didn't care too much for the "smart" functions, but then it doesn't really matter to me since I will use my roku most likely.

I'm partial to Samsung - I particularly like that you can "run" them from an app on your phone. My two biggest TVs are Samsung.

Looks like you're paying another $500 to go from 65" to 75", yes? Is that worth it?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Best Buy has a number of 65" Tvs for ~$500

Comment

I found this interesting -- The cheapest OLED TV prices and deals for December 2019

Comment

I am not sure if I do need a 75 inch. I need to measure my wall. Also it looks like the ports are all on the back. which makes them hard to get to when mounted on a wall. I need to think some more. The Samsung is on 50% sale for 4 more days. But I am sure they will have other sales so I won't let myself get rushed into it. Like I said, I am cheap and my old tv still works pretty good.

Comment

I am not sure if I do need a 75 inch. I need to measure my wall. Also it looks like the ports are all on the back. which makes them hard to get to when mounted on a wall. I need to think some more. The Samsung is on 50% sale for 4 more days. But I am sure they will have other sales so I won't let myself get rushed into it. Like I said, I am cheap and my old tv still works pretty good.
                Yeah, I've been so anal about this in the past that I actually graphed the cost per diagonal inches ---- and after 55, it starts to hockey stick, and after 65, it launches into orbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, I've been so anal about this in the past that I actually graphed the cost per diagonal inches ---- and after 55, it starts to hockey stick, and after 65, it launches into orbit.
                  Looks like the big jump now is between 82 and 86 inches. It's crazy.

I checked Best buy and it has the samsung's for the same price as Amazon. So I can go over there and look at them and if I decide can buy it and take it home without worrying about delivery scheduling. Just need to get my friend who has a van to help me out.

I can compare to the visios too.

Comment

I bought my last TV from Walmart.com It's a 55" non-smart Sceptre brand TV on a close out. Delivered to my front door for $300. 55" is the best size value as CP noted they hockey stick from there. I see a Vizio Ultra HD with free delivery for $339.00 here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-55-...x-G1/786202247
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Hehehehe...I remember when 30" was the hot deal. 72" now. I'm happy with my bedroom 32" and 40" living room. Unfortunately my 40" has become glitchy and it's a smart TV. I may not buy that again tho I enjoy the wifi.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        I bought my last TV from Walmart.com It's a 55" non-smart Sceptre brand TV on a close out. Delivered to my front door for $300. 55" is the best size value as CP noted they hockey stick from there. I see a Vizio Ultra HD with free delivery for $339.00 here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-55-...x-G1/786202247
                        Yeah, I bought a 55" TV from Walmart on Monday - $196. That was after finding (and declining) the best deal at Best Buy at $324.

Comment

Hmm now I am leaning toward the Visio. I don't know if you can see the comparison here:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=6331767,6346172&url=%2Fsite%2Fsearchp age.jsp%3F_dyncharset%3DUTF-8%26browsedCategory%3Dabcat0101001%26id%3Dpcat1707 1%26iht%3Dn%26ks%3D960%26list%3Dy%26qp%3Dfeatures_ facet%3DFeatures~High%20Dynamic%20Range%20(HDR)^in putsoutputs_facet%3DInputs%20Outputs~Digital%20Opt ical%20Audio%20Output(s)^tvscreensizerange_facet%3 DTV%20Screen%20Size~75%22%20or%20More^tvtype_facet %3DTV%20Type~4K%20UHD%20with%20HDR^workswith_facet %3DWorks%20With~Amazon%20Alexa%26sc%3DGlobal%26sp% 3D%2Bcurrentprice%20skuidsaas%26st%3Dcategoryid%24 abcat0101001%26type%3Dpage%26usc%3DAll%20Categorie s

But the Vizio has active backlighting zones where the Samsung has only edge lighting. Both are QLED. Vizio has 5 HDMI ports on the side and bottom instead of the back. Not as many smart apps, but I have my roku.

Comment

I went to Best Buy and looked at the TVs.

I cant see the difference between the edge lighting and the active led backlit zones. So I will probably go with the Samsung because it has better ratings and better apps (since I am getting them one way or another, might as well get the one with the most apps)

Also, 75-inch is way too big for my living room. I measured it tonight. I will go with a 65-inch. my current tv is 42-inch (I thought it was 45)

a 65 inch would fit on my current tv console too, so I don't have to mount it on the wall.

ETA: Decided to go with this one

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07N4GWM...0N15KSN0%27%7D

$1200.

I had some Amazon award points and gift cards so I saved about $150. plus I get 5% back on the balance.
                            Last edited by Sparko; 12-26-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I went to Best Buy and looked at the TVs.

I cant see the difference between the edge lighting and the active led backlit zones. So I will probably go with the Samsung because it has better ratings and better apps (since I am getting them one way or another, might as well get the one with the most apps)

Also, 75-inch is way too big for my living room. I measured it tonight. I will go with a 65-inch. my current tv is 42-inch (I thought it was 45)

a 65 inch would fit on my current tv console too, so I don't have to mount it on the wall.

ETA: Decided to go with this one

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07N4GWM...0N15KSN0%27%7D

$1200.

I had some Amazon award points and gift cards so I saved about $150. plus I get 5% back on the balance.
                              Ya done pulled the trigger!

Comment