Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How to exemplify the teachings of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to exemplify the teachings of Christ

President Trump sent out a Christmas message, in keeping with the spirit of the season, which is the birth of our Savior.

Together, we must strive for a culture of deeper understanding and respect. Definitely a noble sentiment, worthy of a hallmark card.

Praise the Lord that we have a Christian in the White House, no one has done more for Christians and religion.

Demi to base, we're losing another one to TDS.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Demi to base, we're losing another one to TDS.
      Why is that post symptomatic of TDS?

The first paragraph is pretty non controversial, I doubt if the most strident atheist would find that surprising for a Christian forum.

The second paragraph noted the message of the President, and noted the sentimentality of the Christian messages commonly out for the Christmas season. I doubt one could call that TDS.

The third paragraph repeats an idea expressed by Trump, and is one which is widely accepted by Trump supporters. In fact it is often given as a reason for voting for Trump, that he will advance the cause of Christ and Christians in the public sphere.

Nothing approaching Trump derangement syndrome in the OP!

Comment

The diagnosis is not based on just one post.

Comment

The diagnosis is not based on just one post.
          Could it be that any criticism of Trump is dismissed as TDS?

Does the Bible and the Christian faith offer anything worthwhile that rises above political expediency? I rather liked the arguments of the Religious Right from two decades ago, agreeing that the ideas were rooted in the timeless truths of the faith.

So the comment about TDS really had little to do with the OP. Perhaps it was just trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            Could it be that any criticism of Trump is dismissed as TDS?
            No.

So the comment about TDS really had little to do with the OP. Perhaps it was just trolling?
            Yes, the OP could just be trolling.

Comment

No.

Yes, the OP could just be trolling.
              It could be trolling only if presenting ideas accepted by Christians is offensive and provocative. . . to Christians!

Which seems to be the case here. I started a thread exploring Christian attitudes on elites, on the Christians only section of Tweb. And was accused of parodying the faith (for merely presenting the words of Christians). And within a couple of pages, Christians started acting provoked and offended.

I started the thread after asking about how Christians themselves decided which elites to follow and support. And had no takers.

What should atheists and nonbelievers think if the Christian faith itself is provocative, seen as trolling, to Christians themselves? And what is provocative trolling in the OP?

Comment

It could be trolling only if presenting ideas accepted by Christians is offensive and provocative. . . to Christians!

Which seems to be the case here. I started a thread exploring Christian attitudes on elites, on the Christians only section of Tweb. And was accused of parodying the faith (for merely presenting the words of Christians). And within a couple of pages, Christians started acting provoked and offended.

I started the thread after asking about how Christians themselves decided which elites to follow and support. And had no takers.

What should atheists and nonbelievers think if the Christian faith itself is provocative, seen as trolling, to Christians themselves? And what is provocative trolling in the OP?
                I think demi doubts your sincerity. That's why he thinks you're trolling. Maybe the fact that several people have taken your posts 'the wrong way' should make you reconsider the tone you're using, if you want people to take you seriously.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  I think demi doubts your sincerity. That's why he thinks you're trolling. Maybe the fact that several people have taken your posts 'the wrong way' should make you reconsider the tone you're using, if you want people to take you seriously.
                  And I think I have answered each of those, maybe it is Christians who are uncomfortable with Christianity.

My tone is neutral and straight forward. Note the Beth Moore thread.

Comment

It could be trolling if the intention is primarily to be provocative.

I've done a bit of provocative truth-telling in my time. The difference is that I aimed to confront people with the truth and make them think about it, because the truth is important.

You just want to mock in a deniable way. I think it's not really trolling, because you just want to be clever.

Comment

And what is provocative trolling in the OP?
                      Because it was dripping with sarcasm.

Comment

And I think I have answered each of those, maybe it is Christians who are uncomfortable with Christianity.

My tone is neutral and straight forward. Note the Beth Moore thread.

That's a good one, Simp.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump is a boob, and a miserable failure morally, but the fact that he sent out CHRISTMAS cards instead of a dumb "Holiday Cards" is a good thing.

In the spirit of Christmas, accept that fact, and save the political battle for other issues.

Merry Christmas.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since I don't believe Trump is actually a practicing Christian, I would just as soon he say "holidays" instead of "Christmas". We Christians complain so much about the meaning of the season being lost to secularization, and I think we should start by not complaining when people don't say "merry Christmas" if they're not actually meaning to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Since I don't believe Trump is actually a practicing Christian,
                              Yeah, I'm don't see the fruit.

I would just as soon he say "holidays" instead of "Christmas".
                              I think it's a good thing to recognize that Christmas is about CHRIST, whether you believe in Him as Savior or not.

We Christians complain so much about the meaning of the season being lost to secularization, and I think we should start by not complaining when people don't say "merry Christmas" if they're not actually meaning to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
                              I can't go that far --- they don't have to believe in Christ as Savior to recognize that Christmas is about the birth of Christ, whoever they think Him to be.

Comment