Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fulfilled prophecy - A famine of the word of the Lord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulfilled prophecy - A famine of the word of the Lord

“The days are coming,” declares the Sovereign LORD,
    “when I will send a famine through the land—
    not a famine of food or a thirst for water,
    but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.
    People will stagger from sea to sea
    and wander from north to east,
    searching for the word of the LORD,
    but they will not find it. (Amos 8:11–12)

Amos here prophesies that hearing the words of the Lord will cease, there will be a famine of the word of the Lord. And this was true for 400 years, especially if, as protestants do, you exclude the Apocrypha from the canon.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

Amos here prophesies that hearing the words of the Lord will cease, there will be a famine of the word of the Lord. And this was true for 400 years, especially if, as protestants do, you exclude the Apocrypha from the canon.
    "... especially if ..."?

It's not remotely true if you don't exclude the Apocrypha, since even taking the most extreme dates possible places Sirach as being written 340 years after Malachi.

There's also the issue that Dory has changed what Amos wrote from "a famine of hearing the words of the Lord" to just "a famine of the words of the Lord", which doesn't necessarily mean the same thing. And as usual Dory has ignored the accompanying context which lists other events such as the land rising and falling like the river Nile, or the sun descending at noon, none of which happened during the supposed period of fulfilment.

But the biggest problem is that the supposed fulfilment is the ~400 years between Malachi and either Sirach or the Paulian epistles, which completely ignores the ~1900 years since Revelation. Either the last 1900 years are a better fulfilment of the prophecy than the period given, or later works (The Quran? The BoM?) are scripture, or the prophecy doesn't mean a lack of new canonical scripture.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      It's not remotely true if you don't exclude the Apocrypha, since even taking the most extreme dates possible places Sirach as being written 340 years after Malachi.
      Well, 300 years is a long time, long enough to call it a famine.

There's also the issue that Dory has changed what Amos wrote from "a famine of hearing the words of the Lord" to just "a famine of the words of the Lord", which doesn't necessarily mean the same thing.
      This is silly, the famine of hearing the words of the Lord is because they will search for the word of the Lord and not find it (v. 12).

And as usual Dory has ignored the accompanying context which lists other events such as the land rising and falling like the river Nile, or the sun descending at noon, none of which happened during the supposed period of fulfilment.
      But "the days are coming" starts a new section, and a new prophecy.

But the biggest problem is that the supposed fulfilment is the ~400 years between Malachi and either Sirach or the Paulian epistles, which completely ignores the ~1900 years since Revelation. Either the last 1900 years are a better fulfilment of the prophecy than the period given, or later works (The Quran? The BoM?) are scripture, or the prophecy doesn't mean a lack of new canonical scripture.
      I don't think the prophecy means a lack of new canonical scripture, it means the lack of prophecy, primarily, a lack of those who speak for God. And again, 300 years is enough to call it a famine, and a long gap does not invalidate this.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

But clearly not long enough to call it 400 years. That Dory does not retract obviously false claims is an excellent reason to reject anything else he says.
        This is silly, the famine of hearing the words of the Lord is because they will search for the word of the Lord and not find it (v. 12).
        While Dory might reasonably claim that no new scripture or prophecy appeared during those 340 years, it's obviously not the case that people could not find previous scripture prophesy - because if they couldn't, we wouldn't be able to either.
        But "the days are coming" starts a new section, and a new prophecy.
        So the previous prophecy failed.
        I don't think the prophecy means a lack of new canonical scripture, it means the lack of prophecy, primarily, a lack of those who speak for God.
        Then, since Dory hasn't named any prophets from the last 1900 years, they are a better fulfilment of the prophecy than the period he chose.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Blessings,
          Lee
          The problem is this prophesy is far too vague and subjective, because many very natural periods in the cycle of history to be used to predict the how and when the prophesy applies.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            But clearly not long enough to call it 400 years. That Dory does not retract obviously false claims is an excellent reason to reject anything else he says.
            Well, the claim is that Malachi was written about 430 B.C., so yes, there's room for 400 years.

While Dory might reasonably claim that no new scripture or prophecy appeared during those 340 years, it's obviously not the case that people could not find previous scripture prophesy - because if they couldn't, we wouldn't be able to either.
            Though the prophecy is about new prophecy appearing, searching for the word of the Lord and not finding it refers to fresh revelation.

So the previous prophecy failed.
            Not at all, there was a long period without prophecy.

Then, since Dory hasn't named any prophets from the last 1900 years, they are a better fulfilment of the prophecy than the period he chose.
            But there has been New Testament prophecy (re Acts 11:27, 1 Cor. 14:3).

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The problem is this prophesy is far too vague and subjective, because many very natural periods in the cycle of history to be used to predict the how and when the prophesy applies.
              But it's not vague, and it was fulfilled by a long period without prophecy. Certainly it's not said when this will occur, but it did happen.

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

But it's not vague, and it was fulfilled by a long period without prophecy. Certainly it's not said when this will occur, but it did happen.

Blessings,
                Lee
                Not 400 years.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Not 400 years.
                  Well if Malachi was written about 430 B.C., then that's about 400 years.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

Well if Malachi was written about 430 B.C., then that's about 400 years.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    The text of Malachi is not evidence for a 400 years famine. Again there is not any archaeological evidence for a 400 year famine. There is archaeological and geologic evidence for periods of famines all over the world including Egypt and the Middle East most commonly due to cycles of drought

Frank

Comment

The text of Malachi is not evidence for a 400 years famine. Again there is not any archaeological evidence for a 400 year famine. There is archaeological and geologic evidence for periods of famines all over the world including Egypt and the Middle East most commonly due to cycles of drought
                      I believe you're misunderstanding, the famine predicted was not one of food, but of hearing the word of the Lord.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

I believe you're misunderstanding, the famine predicted was not one of food, but of hearing the word of the Lord.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        There is evidence of cyclic famines all over the ancient world particularly where there are records like in Egypt and the China, and there is geologic evidence that corresponds to the cyclic famines due to periods of drought in part due to the progressive aridity of the arid regions of the Middle East and China. It is anecdotal, but in Western China I found wind blown loess and sand dunes over rice fields, irrigation ditches, and the roots of Aspen and Poplar trees.

You did not make this remotely true of your claim early in the thread, and it remains a more subjective and weak a claim concerning what the prophecy? of 400 years famine represents.

Frank

Comment

Well, the claim is that Malachi was written about 430 B.C., so yes, there's room for 400 years.
                          There is not room for 400 years between Malachi and Sirach. Giving only the date for Malachi avoids having to admit that. As usual, Dory is being both forgetful and deceptive.

Though the prophecy is about new prophecy appearing, searching for the word of the Lord and not finding it refers to fresh revelation.

Not at all, there was a long period without prophecy.

Blessings,
                          Lee[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                            There is not room for 400 years between Malachi and Sirach. Giving only the date for Malachi avoids having to admit that. As usual, Dory is being both forgetful accidentally and forgetful on purpose.
                            Neither Acts nor Corinthians fit within the last 1900 years. Which raises another possible reason why Dory keeps insisting that Malachi to Sirach is 400+ years - he can't do handle arithmetic.

Comment

No, that would be your personal interpretation of the passage. You would have been better served to have proffered it for critique in a Christian-only area than as TRVTH in a debate with skeptics.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment