Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fulfilled prophecy - A famine of the word of the Lord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    There is not room for 400 years between Malachi and Sirach.
    You may have noticed I don't consider Sirach a word from the Lord.

Neither Acts nor Corinthians fit within the last 1900 years.
    Yet Paul expected prophecy in each church service, the word of the Lord is not to be rare in Christianity.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      No, that would be your personal interpretation of the passage.
      Well, what better interpretation would there be?

"In those days the word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions." (1 Sam. 3:1)

Which has a parallel "the word of the Lord was rare", "not many visions."

You would have been better served to have proffered it for critique in a Christian-only area than as TRVTH in a debate with skeptics.
      And I believe it is true, I trust you do as well, and I proffer it as encouragement as well as for critique.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        Well, what better interpretation would there be?

"In those days the word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions." (1 Sam. 3:1)

Which has a parallel "the word of the Lord was rare", "not many visions."
        As far as I can see, the most straightforward interpretation is that it was fulfilled when Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians, who deported all the leaders of the people (which would have included priests/prophets). There was then a famine of the word of the Lord in the land, for there was no one to lead them in worship, or to consult when the wanted to hear the Lord's words.
        And I believe it is true, I trust you do as well, and I proffer it as encouragement as well as for critique.

Blessings,
        Lee
        I think your interpretation is quite far-fetched, and not consonant with the context.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You may have noticed I don't consider Sirach a word from the Lord.
          You may have forgotten what you actually wrote: "Amos here prophesies that hearing the words of the Lord will cease, there will be a famine of the word of the Lord. And this was true for 400 years, especially if, as protestants do, you exclude the Apocrypha from the canon.
          Yet Paul expected prophecy in each church service, the word of the Lord is not to be rare in Christianity.
          That has nothing to do with your mistake in citing the New Testament as a response to there not having been any prophets in the last 1900 years.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

As far as I can see, the most straightforward interpretation is that it was fulfilled when Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians, who deported all the leaders of the people (which would have included priests/prophets).
            But Jeremiah continued to prophesy, and a number of the minor prophets came afterwards. I think the silence starts after Malachi.

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

You may have forgotten what you actually wrote: "Amos here prophesies that hearing the words of the Lord will cease, there will be a famine of the word of the Lord. And this was true for 400 years, especially if, as protestants do, you exclude the Apocrypha from the canon.
              But Sirach is considered part of the Apocrypha, is it not?

That has nothing to do with your mistake in citing the New Testament as a response to there not having been any prophets in the last 1900 years.
              But the Lord speaks through his word, and through his people, when they gather for worship.

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

You may have forgotten what you actually wrote: "Amos here prophesies that hearing the words of the Lord will cease, there will be a famine of the word of the Lord. And this was true for 400 years, especially if, as protestants do, you exclude the Apocrypha from the canon."
                But Sirach is considered part of the Apocrypha, is it not?
                Yes, it is part of the Apocrypha. Your claim is still false. Either you've been using words you don't understand, or you're deliberately feigning ignorance.
                But the Lord speaks through his word, and through his people, when they gather for worship.
                If that is so, and thus there has not been a famine of prophecy in the last 1900 years, then there wasn't a famine of prophesy after Malachi was written since people gathered for worship then too.

In your efforts to avoid admitting error, you have just refuted your original claim.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

But Jeremiah continued to prophesy, and a number of the minor prophets came afterwards. I think the silence starts after Malachi.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  The others were in Judah, not Israel. The scripture you cited was directed toward Israel.

There was also arguably a 'famine of the word of the Lord' in Judah between Jeremiah and Nehemiah, which would also make more sense contextually than your idea. There is no warrant to take "word" as written in a culture that was primarily oral.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Why is there an apparent need to fit this into a 400 year-frame? Amos doesn't prophecy say anything about 400 years in the passage that was quoted, and a search for "four hundred years" in the Bible only turns up how long they were in Egypt.

Comment

There isn't, Lee is just making up numbers.

Comment

The others were in Judah, not Israel. The scripture you cited was directed toward Israel.
                        Well, I think that if the famine was only in Israel, they wouldn't have to wander from sea to sea to find the word of the Lord.

There was also arguably a 'famine of the word of the Lord' in Judah between Jeremiah and Nehemiah, which would also make more sense contextually than your idea. There is no warrant to take "word" as written in a culture that was primarily oral.
                        And 70 years would indeed be a famine, though I would say the 400 years of silence would be more pronounced. But God doesn't mind fulfilling his prophecies more than once!

And I agree that the word of the Lord might be spoken, just as we expect a fresh word from the Lord at church on Sunday.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

Yes, it is part of the Apocrypha. Your claim is still false. Either you've been using words you don't understand, or you're deliberately feigning ignorance.
                          I don't understand the point you're trying to make here...

If that is so, and thus there has not been a famine of prophecy in the last 1900 years, then there wasn't a famine of prophesy after Malachi was written since people gathered for worship then too.
                          Not so, the Christian era brought a fresh infusion of prophecy.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Why is there an apparent need to fit this into a 400 year-frame? Amos doesn't prophecy say anything about 400 years in the passage that was quoted, and a search for "four hundred years" in the Bible only turns up how long they were in Egypt.
                            No need to fit the prophecy into a 400-year timeframe, it just turns out that there was a period of about 400 years of silence that I'm taking to be the fulfilment of this prophecy.

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here...
                              You seemed to understand it well enough to respond earlier, so either you're feigning ignorance now, or you were feigning understanding then.
                              Not so, the Christian era brought a fresh infusion of prophecy.
                              You made that up. You couldn't possibly know whether or not it is true.

Comment

You seemed to understand it well enough to respond earlier, so either you're feigning ignorance now, or you were feigning understanding then.
                                My claim is that there is a period of about 400 years of silence, if you don't count the apocrypha.

You made that up. You couldn't possibly know whether or not it is true.
                                Well, see the scriptures I mentioned, Paul's instructions on prophecy indicate that there was a new era of prophecy starting, in the Christian church.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment