Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you fear hell?

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Do you fear hell?

Do you accept the Christian argument that if we die not believing in Jesus as our Savior, we will be eternally damned? What would be the proper response? Isn't this ''appeal to fear''?

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The proper response is a metaphorical pat on the head. Since humanity became anatomically modern a few hundred thousand years ago, we've had tens of thousands of gods. None of them were real. None of their threats or promises were real, either.

Typically, there are five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. It's entirely possible to stop at any stage along the way.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Typically, there are five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. It's entirely possible to stop at any stage along the way.
    I dind't understand this bit. You're trying the say the religious people who appeal to Hell are stopping at the ''bargaining'' stage?

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Sorry...this area is restricted from Christians

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 02-26-2020 at 07:38 AM.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Edited by a Moderator
    First off, thanks! I'd been afraid somehow this thread would escape the inevitable wayward theist incursion.

Fearing hell is childish.

I've seen people die, Leonhard. I've watched the monitors as they flatline. The heart stops. The brain ceases to function. Brain chemistry ends. No further memories can be saved or recalled. No further actions are possible.

When you're dead, it's over. That's why we're afraid of death.

Being afraid of what you might experience after you can't experience anymore is the archetype of irrationality. And to answer Seeker, to think you're going to experience things after you're dead is to remain mired in denial.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 02-26-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Do you accept the Christian argument that if we die not believing in Jesus as our Savior, we will be eternally damned?
    I don't, no.

What would be the proper response?
    I would say that Christians generally don't worry the least about the consequences of not believing in the tenets of other religions, so if they're going to casually dismiss those other tenets, I can likewise dismiss theirs.

Isn't this ''appeal to fear''?
    Yes, it is.

7. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do you accept the Christian argument that if we die not believing in Jesus as our Savior, we will be eternally damned?
    Nope. Grew up being taught that though, but can't say that I ever bought into it. Why adults continue to believe in the existence of such a tyrannus and evil god is beyond me. Satan is at least welcoming. You don't see him denying people entrance to his domain.

What would be the proper response? Isn't this ''appeal to fear''?
    Of course, the appeal to fear and the appeal of reward. I came to think of religion as a psychological tool, a necessary evil used to help keep people in line. I mean who wants to burn in hell for eternity when they can live in mansions and drink and party and have all kinds of fun for eternity in paradise.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    I would say that Christians generally don't worry the least about the consequences of not believing in the tenets of other religions, so if they're going to casually dismiss those other tenets, I can likewise dismiss theirs.
    That's a great point, actually. I fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    Yes, it is.
    What I really meant to say was that it is a formal fallacy of ''appeal to fear''. :) Just to clarify, of course.

Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    First off, thanks! I'd been afraid somehow this thread would escape the inevitable wayward theist incursion.

Fearing hell is childish.

I've seen people die, Leonhard. I've watched the monitors as they flatline. The heart stops. The brain ceases to function. Brain chemistry ends. No further memories can be saved or recalled. No further actions are possible.

When you're dead, it's over. That's why we're afraid of death.

Being afraid of what you might experience after you can't experience anymore is the archetype of irrationality. And to answer Seeker, to think you're going to experience things after you're dead is to remain mired in denial.
    I was not, I am, I am not, I care not.

When death comes we are not there.
    "Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fantasies."

11. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do you accept the Christian argument that if we die not believing in Jesus as our Savior, we will be eternally damned? What would be the proper response? Isn't this ''appeal to fear''?
    The notion of hellfire and damnation is a much later Christian construct. The word hell does not occur in the New Testament.
    "Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fantasies."