Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

This Has Been the Best Year Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Has Been the Best Year Ever

This Has Been the Best Year Ever
    For humanity over all, life just keeps getting better.

By Nicholas Kristof
    Opinion Columnist
    Dec. 28, 2019

Nick does a column like this regularly at the end of the year. He also does a lot of writing on human trafficking and global injustices from Darfur to Xinjiang. It's probably therapeutic.

Behind a paywall.

People, if you are going to link to a paywalled article, at least post enough of it to have an actual discussion.

Comment

For further consideration:
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Behind a paywall.
        Non-subscribers are given a number of free reads each month. If you've used yours up for December, January is coming soon.

People, if you are going to link to a paywalled article, at least post enough of it to have an actual discussion.
        The assumption is always that readers will read:
        2019 was probably the year in which children were least likely to die, adults were least likely to be illiterate and people were least likely to suffer excruciating and disfiguring diseases.

But for those who prefer pictures:

That's since 1981, and while based on World Bank data, doesn't acknowledge their paucity. Kristof provides the caveat ...
        You may feel uncomfortable reading this. It can seem tasteless, misleading or counterproductive to hail progress when there is still so much wrong with the world. I get that. In addition, the numbers are subject to debate and the 2019 figures are based on extrapolation. But I worry that deep pessimism about the state of the world is paralyzing rather than empowering; excessive pessimism can leave people feeling not just hopeless but also helpless.

"Misleading and counterproductive" is linked in the original to an extended discussion about the figures' accuracy and relevance:

Back to Kristof, along with extreme poverty, he notes both illiteracy and famine have declined substantially, "the last famine recognized by the World Food Program struck just part of one state in South Sudan and lasted for only a few months in 2017." Childhood mortality has done the same. And with that decline has come a marked decrease in the excessive birth rates necessary to insure progeny. With that decline has come education and empowerment of women.

I was born in 1959, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Non-subscribers are given a number of free reads each month. If you've used yours up for December, January is coming soon.

The assumption is always that readers will read:
          2019 was probably the year in which children were least likely to die, adults were least likely to be illiterate and people were least likely to suffer excruciating and disfiguring diseases.

But for those who prefer pictures:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]41741[/ATTACH]

That's since 1981, and while based on World Bank data, doesn't acknowledge their paucity. Kristof provides the caveat ...
          You may feel uncomfortable reading this. It can seem tasteless, misleading or counterproductive to hail progress when there is still so much wrong with the world. I get that. In addition, the numbers are subject to debate and the 2019 figures are based on extrapolation. But I worry that deep pessimism about the state of the world is paralyzing rather than empowering; excessive pessimism can leave people feeling not just hopeless but also helpless.

"Misleading and counterproductive" is linked in the original to an extended discussion about the figures' accuracy and relevance:

Back to Kristof, along with extreme poverty, he notes both illiteracy and famine have declined substantially, "the last famine recognized by the World Food Program struck just part of one state in South Sudan and lasted for only a few months in 2017." Childhood mortality has done the same. And with that decline has come a marked decrease in the excessive birth rates necessary to insure progeny. With that decline has come education and empowerment of women.

I was born in 1959, too.
          Thanks!

So that means we can all say, "YAY Trump!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Thanks!

So that means we can all say, "YAY Trump!!!"
            According to this Spectator article, we have to thank both Trump and Obama, since the whole decade has been great.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X