Thread: Elitist Christians and social commentary

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Elitist Christians and social commentary

Tue SBC generated controversy by not condemning Critical Race Theory (and intersectionality) at its recent convention. The resolution presented to the Convention was a condemnation of CRT, and when it came out of committee, it contained a tepid endorsement of CRT. Identity politcs, acceptance of CRT, and Russell Moore are given as reasons for some congregations withdrawing from a the SBC.

The Convention declined to pass any resolution on moral character of government officials, reconciliation with Jewish people over Baptist silence during Holocaust, and freedom of conscience for SBC whistleblowers.

Which set of elites represent the gospel?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Got something more than your unvarnished opinion to back this up? Perhaps it would help if you could show a) the resolution on CRT presented, 2) the resolution as it came out of committee, and C) the texts of the other resolutions which failed and have you all concerned?

I'm no longer SBC, so I don't have a dog in this fight, just curious. There are often valid reasons for voting against an ostensibly reasonable resolution.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Liberal ideology infiltrates, a split occurs, rinse and repeat.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

4. Amen Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    SBCs freaking out about Russell Moore being too liberal (he's not remotely close to liberal by any definition of the term) remind me of the old line about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Have they taken any look at all about the state of American Christianity as a whole?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As is right, they are concerned about more about their own than 'state of American Christianity '.

(he's not remotely close to liberal by any definition of the term)
    Deceitful and complete BS. Moore supports woman preaching, obvious liberal.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Liberal ideology infiltrates, a split occurs, rinse and repeat.
    Yup. See the United Methodist as the current example. As far as I can recall though, this is the first time it's trying to be a controlled split instead of a walkout.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Yup. See the United Methodist as the current example. As far as I can recall though, this is the first time it's trying to be a controlled split instead of a walkout.
    Often the property does not belong to the local church. If the congregation leaves, they often have to find a new home, a building to worship in.

Often they will combine with another existing church. The Reformation sparked a flood of splitting and forming different groups and denominations differentiated along theological divides. One curious consequence of today's splitting is congregations the topics which drive ecumenism are women or gays in pulpits, not issues from a systematic theology book.

And sometimes disparate groups within the Body of Christ will combine.