Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump, the I'll be to busy to play golf, President.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That would have to be about the only implementation of that particular amendment in nearly 200 years (give or take ).
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-02-2020, 09:12 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Can I call them or what?

Yes. But apparently Chuck didn't read the very first line of the op which compares Trump to Obama, instead picking on your comments instead.

Talk about hypocrisy.

Other than that, I could care less about this thread, so, buh-bye.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Yes. But apparently Chuck didn't read the very first line of the op which compares Trump to Obama, instead picking on your comments instead.

Talk about hypocrisy.

Unthinking knee jerk responses appear to be his modus operandi

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Did you know the Secret Service pays ex presidents to live at their house?
          An ex president is not subject to the emoluments clause, and that is existing policy, not a scheme to pad his pockets

Are you really incapable of understanding why trump playing golf at his own resorts every 5 days and what you just mentioned are unrelated?

Are you really unable to understand why using millions of dollars of taxpayer money to play golf at his own resorts every 5 days is wrong?
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-02-2020, 10:09 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Talk about hypocrisy.

I see you are both still dependent on personal attacks to try to make a convincing case.

You may have noticed that the comparison in the first post was not used to take focus away from the topic of the thread? It is usually a good idea to analyze such things a bit before going for personal attacks.

Happy new year.

Comment

Yeah, besides that, it's how he operates.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                An ex president is not subject to the emoluments clause, and that is existing policy, not a scheme to pad his pockets.
                Are you really incapable of understanding why trump playing golf at his own resorts every 5 days and what you just mentioned are unrelated?

Are you really unable to understand why using millions of dollars of taxpayer money to play golf at his own resorts every 5 days is wrong?
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  One issue is that as a candidate, he criticized Obama for excessive golfing and implied he would stay away from the course himself.
                  I think you can criticize Trump for saying that, but I don't think it makes sense to criticize the activity of playing golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard
                    That is a bit slimy. I agree.
                    A bit?
                    Yes, a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      I think you can criticize Trump for saying that, but I don't think it makes sense to criticize the activity of playing golf.
                      On a more general level, I think it's fair to expect that elected presidents may end up adopting different postures than they campaign on based on the realities of the job. Dick Cheney famously correctly predicted that Obama would adopt more stringent anti-terrorism stances once he gained access to the briefings he would receive in office, for instance.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, besides that, it's how he operates.
                        And the way he works too

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And the way he works too
                          And how he rolls! (would you really call that work?)
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            On a more general level, I think it's fair to expect that elected presidents may end up adopting different postures than they campaign on based on the realities of the job. Dick Cheney famously correctly predicted that Obama would adopt more stringent anti-terrorism stances once he gained access to the briefings he would receive in office, for instance.
                            Even with his pen and phone he never closed Gitmo.

Comment

Trumps hotels are not private property in that sense. The are businesses that serve the public, and the monies spent there go directly to the bottom line of those businesses, and thus add to the profits which feed into Trump's bank account, net worth, and personal success as a buisiness man.

Trump is is channeling public money into his business, not merely visiting his private property. And that represents a serious conflict of interest. That doesn't exist if the President is simply visiting his own private property, e.g. Bush going to his ranch.

To put a finer point on it. If I, at by place of business, where to form a small company and then make sure bids from my employer went to that company, I would be fired for conflict of interest and possibly go to jail (this actually happened to one of the managers at my previous employer who drove bids from the company to a business his wife owned - he was fired and IRC served time).

You are excusing actions that generally are not tolerated by any above board business and generally not officially tolerated in government either.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Trumps hotels are not private property in that sense. The are businesses that serve the public, and the monies spent there go directly to the bottom line of those businesses, and thus add to the profits which feed into Trump's bank account, net worth, and personal success as a buisiness man.
                                Trump is is channeling public money into his business, not merely visiting his private property. And that represents a serious conflict of interest. That doesn't exist if the President is simply visiting his own private property, e.g. Bush going to his ranch.
                                To put a finer point on it. If I, at by place of business, where to form a small company and then make sure bids from my employer went to that company, I would be fired for conflict of interest and possibly go to jail (this actually happened to one of the managers at my previous employer who drove bids from the company to a business his wife owned - he was fired and IRC served time).
                                Problem is your theory is a classic case of TDS. The government is using facilities not owned by the government. Since the third amendment prevents the government from stationing government agents, in these facilities, they have to pay for it.

You are excusing actions that generally are not tolerated by any above board business and generally not officially tolerated in government either.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment