Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asherah, the wife of god?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Asherah, the wife of god?

Are not Elohim and Yahweh two names for one and the same god in the Hebrew bible? If so, wasn't Asherah the wife of Elohim, ergo the wife of Yahweh. Was the more ancient understanding of the Hebrew god one of a god that had a wife named Asherah? If not, who was she, and why was she a figure of worship in 1 and 2 Kings?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Elohim is a title, not a name (and a plural word form, to boot). Asherah was a Canaanite fertility goddess, and a figure of worship in 1 and 2 kings because the Hebrews had a predilection for assimilating the practices of those around them despite explicit prohibition of doing so.

The views of the Religionsgeschichtliche Schule have always struck me as seeing what one wants to see.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Elohim is a title, not a name (and a plural word form, to boot). Asherah was a Canaanite fertility goddess, and a figure of worship in 1 and 2 kings because the Hebrews had a predilection for assimilating the practices of those around them despite explicit prohibition of doing so.

The views of the Religionsgeschichtliche Schule have always struck me as seeing what one wants to see.

Yahweh is a proper noun and the personal name of God whereas Elohim is a common plural[1] noun and can mean several things such as plural "gods" (Exodus 12:12; Deuteronomy 5:7; I Samuel 28:13) as well as God in the singular (Genesis 1:1)[2]. Many of the former uses, appear to reflect the fact that throughout much of their history the early Israelites were not strictly monotheistic but ranged from also worshiping false gods to worshiping only Yahweh but according (often lesser) divine status to these false gods.

1. the "im" suffix gives it away.

2. usually associated with Yahweh but not always such as in I Kings 11:33 when used to describe Moab's god Chemosh.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The word "elohim" refers to any powerful entity. Not just YHWH. Yahweh is the personal name for the omnipotent Elohim that makes finite elohim look as weak as an embryo by comparison.

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Are not Elohim and Yahweh two names for one and the same god in the Hebrew bible? If so, wasn't Asherah the wife of Elohim, ergo the wife of Yahweh. Was the more ancient understanding of the Hebrew god one of a god that had a wife named Asherah? If not, who was she, and why was she a figure of worship in 1 and 2 Kings?
    Are you reading through the Hebrew scriptures?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Are you reading through the Hebrew scriptures?
    Read them. But I came across a book claiming evidence that EL and Yahweh were basically synonomous and that Asherah was a goddess and the wife of EL. There were also ancient sculptures found on the which were etched things such as Blessed was so and so who was saved (or something to that effect) by Yaweh and his Asherah.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Such writings would not be unexpected within Israel's history. The Bible mentions many times when people fell into idolatry. Though, somehow they still maintained the testimony against their behavior, as found in the enduring scriptures. The ancient history was full of expectation that the neighbors had something better going on -- and the tribes of Israel were no exception to this. Even today, we have people who have lived as Christians but got attracted to idolatry.

8. Amen KingsGambit, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Read them. But I came across a book claiming evidence that EL and Yahweh were basically synonomous and that Asherah was a goddess and the wife of EL. There were also ancient sculptures found on the which were etched things such as Blessed was so and so who was saved (or something to that effect) by Yaweh and his Asherah.
    And we should.be surprised because? Israel did fall into idolatry many times...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Such writings would not be unexpected within Israel's history. The Bible mentions many times when people fell into idolatry. Though, somehow they still maintained the testimony against their behavior, as found in the enduring scriptures. The ancient history was full of expectation that the neighbors had something better going on -- and the tribes of Israel were no exception to this. Even today, we have people who have lived as Christians but got attracted to idolatry.
    Yeah...that.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Several scholars believe Israel just assimilated the names Elohim and Yah from other cultures to make it easier to assimilate them into monotheistic belief in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---